• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Marcato Bros. ep.186: Favorites with Emily Reese (VGM podcast)

PillarEN

This week the Bros. invited Emily Reese to show off some of her favorite tunes in videogames. If you don't know who that is I'll help you out. Emily used to do a podcast for Minnesota Public Radio called "Top Score" where she would interview videogame composers and a play a few tunes from their soundtracks. Most of the composers that she interviewed (if not all) were from the west. The Americas and Europe. Don't think there was any Australian. Now after many years she broke away from MPR and has started a new podcast which is quite similar from what I've listened to so far called "Joon Media".

The tracks Emily brought are mostly from the modern age of videogames and many of them are tracks that are less typical for a SMB podcast. Love that Lonely Rolling Star made it in. One of my favorites of all time. Portal 2, Papo & Yo, Journey.

Episode Page

iTunes

Tracklist:

“Clarity” from Ibb & Obb by Kettel

“The Maker’s Theme” from Darksiders II by Jesper Kyd

“Home in Florence” from Assassin’s Creed II by Jesper Kyd

“Imperial Throne” from Skyrim by Jeremy Soule

“Theme of Laura” from Silent Hill 2 by Akira Yamaoka

“The Road of Trials” from Journey by Austin Wintory

"Title Theme" from Metroid by Hip Tanaka

“The Songbird” from BioShock Infinite by Garry Schyman

“Post” from Ibb & Obb by Kettel

“Lonely Rolling Star” from Katamari Damacy

“Science is Fun” from Portal 2 by Mike Morasky

“Liberation (La Muerte de Papo)” from Papo & Yo by Brian D’Oliveira

“Sovereign’s Theme” from Mass Effect 1 by Sam Hulick

Dimmle

Wow, I had no idea this podcast existed, let alone for 186 episodes. How would one compare it with a show like VGMpire?

PillarEN

Wow, I had no idea this podcast existed, let alone for 186 episodes. How would one compare it with a show like VGMpire?

Good question. I've never listened to that podcast. Skimming their website though I'd say that they are a bit more oldschool perhaps.

The way Super Marcato Bros works is that during normal episodes they have about 20 tracks that they play large chunks of and then discuss the piece for a bit before moving on to the next track. They have topics like specific composers, genres, franchises. Recently they did two episodes on the NES and SNES Final Fantasy games for example.

I just listened to their 185th episode the other day. That was the first one I've heard, and I enjoyed it. They have a good balance of the amount of time they play a track vs. analysis. Actually suits the way I study and do schoolwork well, with the amount of little breaks I take in between.

Top Bottom