• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 64 DS boxart from Gamestop - real or not?

Chittagong

Gold Member
t000082b.jpg

compared to the crap mockup DS boxart in Gamestop, looks legit to me.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Looks legitimate to me, and I guess this is a confirmation that the SpiderMan 2 boxart is real. But then again, both these boxarts are missing the Nintendo seal of quality...

Deg

Banned
Wario64 said:
Looks legitimate to me, and I guess this is a confirmation that the SpiderMan 2 boxart is real. But then again, both these boxarts are missing the Nintendo seal of quality...

1: May not be final

2: Seal of Qaulity will be added later or on the back of the box.

jarrod said:
Super Mario 64x4 was a better title. :/

I agree, and this boxart looks really weird. The only thing keeping me from thinking it's a mockup is that character art. I've never seen it before, not those particular shots of them anyways.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The fact that this boxart, if real, surfaces now suggests that Nintendo has sent final assets of launch titles to their partners.

My other bets for the launch lineup were Animal Crossing DS and Wario Ware DS, so let's hope some online stores forget to read the Oct 7th disclaimer coming with the image files and posts the boxart for those early.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Looks a bit empty...but like someone said, I've never seen that artwork before, so they've got it from somewhere.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Looking more closely, that DS boxart is using the wooden version of the Super Mario 64 logo, but with a new blueish tint in the upper letters and 64 reduced in size.

supermario64_logo.jpg

Memles

I think it is official artwork...but Super Mario 64 DS seems so randon...I think 64x4 below the Super Mario thing would make the most sense.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
soepkip said:
So do we know anything about the actual game?

It's a slightly enhanced port of Mario 64. Has a four player mode, and has slightly improved graphics on character models and such.

ManaByte

Gold Member
soepkip said:
So do we know anything about the actual game?

IGN has videos of the first level. It's basically Mario 64 without any texture filtering. Looks a lot like a PSX game.

Mama Smurf

ManaByte said:
IGN has videos of the first level. It's basically Mario 64 without any texture filtering. Looks a lot like a PSX game.

He's right about the lack of texture filtering, but other parts of it have been improved. Ploygon counts seem to be up, and textures are better...even if they're not filtered.

jarrod

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
He's right about the lack of texture filtering, but other parts of it have been improved. Ploygon counts seem to be up, and textures are better...even if they're not filtered.
And the framerate has been doubled. Refrech my memory, how many PS1 60fps 3D platformers were there again?

ManaByte

Gold Member
If I remember correctly, Floating Runner hit 60fps.
BT0369F.jpg

And there were fighters on the PSX that ran at 60FPS. Toshinden 3 had a 60fps mode.
BT0100F.jpg

Mama Smurf

Yeah, it got a bit stupid really, but basically it looks better than a PSX game. As to whether it looks better than the N64 game or not...well, that really depends what you're after.

Some people can't see past the texture filtering (I don't know if I can or not yet, need to see the game in front of me on a DS), but if you can then you get increased polygon levels, better textures, more characters on screen and a higher framerate.

But no analogue stick, which is the REAL problem.

Soul4ger

Mama Smurf said:
Yeah, it got a bit stupid really, but basically it looks better than a PSX game. As to whether it looks better than the N64 game or not...well, that really depends what you're after.

Some people can't see past the texture filtering (I don't know if I can or not yet, need to see the game in front of me on a DS), but if you can then you get increased polygon levels, better textures, more characters on screen and a higher framerate.

But no analogue stick, which is the REAL problem.

Could potentially be camera control issues, too. I'm kinda keeping my excitement in check.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
AniHawk said:
I like the little DS insert thing on the left side. Reminds me of the Dreamcast cases a lot.

The DC cases is the first thing I was reminded of when I saw the DS box art.

Looks legit to me. And i wonder what format will the game be in? GBA cartridge or some type of sd card .... whatever it's called. :D

jarrod

Banned
Here's a Floating Runner screen for reference...

imagen1FloatingRunner.jpg

...in it's mostly flat shaded glory, it ran at a brisk 30 fps. Came out a good 6 months before Mario 64 as well. :)

jarrod said:
Here's a Floating Runner screen for reference...

imagen1FloatingRunner.jpg

...in it's mostly flat shaded glory, it ran at a brisk 30 fps. Came out a good 6 months before Mario 64 as well. :)

Yep! Pretty much on par with DS quality! *rolls his eyes* Maybe people just have a very weak memory.

Sho Nuff

Banned
335.jpg

Who remembers this? Oh yes. 60fps at high res on the PSX...

...until an enemy appeared on the screen or you shot your gun, making a transparency effect.

Holy crap Rascal was awful.

FoneBone

Sho Nuff said:
335.jpg

Who remembers this? Oh yes. 60fps at high res on the PSX...

...until an enemy appeared on the screen or you shot your gun, making a transparency effect.

Holy crap Rascal was awful.
Worst character design ever. Which is pretty fucked up, given that the Jim Henson Company worked on the game.

Sho Nuff

Banned
FoneBone said:
Worst character design ever. Which is pretty fucked up, given that the Jim Henson Company worked on the game.

It's hilarious. I was visiting Traveler's Tales at the time and they showed us the design, and were ADAMANT that it was NOT final AT ALL and was 100% placeholder. And, uh, that's what wound up in the game.

I dunno, maybe they would have done a better job if Rascal was a Muppet or something.

Hahah, they also told us that the game would be 60fps with no slowdown. Ahh...

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I looks like a placeholder/mock-up. Nintendo's covers are usually "busier" than that. This one looks like the background hasn't been finished.

Look at the Mario Power Tennis cover:
220435b.jpg

Regardless if you like this cover or not, the SM64DS cover looks empty in comparison.

I expect the final cover to look very similar to what we see now, but most likely something being in the background; have something behind Wario to look at and maybe a coin or mushroom for Luigi to be picking up. Flush out the logo design a bit better, too.

What should really raise eyebrows is the artwork ON the box. I fully allow for the possibility that the box isn't final or was mocked up by Gamestop, but they clearly had assets from Nintendo that haven't been released into the wild yet.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Has Nintendo dropped the "Only For" tag? The Gamecube and GBA both had it.... it seems odd to drop it now.

Maybe because Super Mario 64 was also on N64?...

I'm sure DS games will have the "Only for" tag, the box art just isn't complete yet. It doesn't even have the gold Nintendo Seal of Quality on it either.

olimario

Banned
The IGN video of the first level looks really good.
I assume it has improved since, too.

That will more than get the job done, I think.

Top Bottom