• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 64 DS - Lots of new Footage

mumu

Asphalt looks decent, it's not RR PSP, but it looks playable. I'm kinda interested in the 30 new stars and all the mini games in SM64 but i'm not in the mood to go through the first 120 stars again :/

snapty00

Banned
On one of the Super Mario 64 DS videos, some of the polygons (such as on the castle) seemed to be a bit unstable or something. :\ Not that it matters with this particular game (I'm only interested in the minigames, not the full game), but it makes me wonder about the future.

olimario

Banned
YOu guys have to check out Yoshi vs. the King Bomb Omb
He tosses bombs now, and you throw eggs at him with Yoshi!

snapty00 said:
On one of the Super Mario 64 DS videos, some of the polygons (such as on the castle) seemed to be a bit unstable

Yeah dude! Looks like they might snap at any minute and begin a life of prostitution!

olimario said:
YOu guys have to check out Yoshi vs. the King Bomb Omb
He tosses bombs now, and you throw eggs at him with Yoshi!

Oh so true, it really makes the first big battle of the game much more intriguing, plus it just seemed to come off much faster and more chaotic than the original, which I like.

Sliding levels have me worried, I could never get the movement down perfect on the N64 and I wonder if the DS will do me any good at all.

snapty00

Banned
If they do make Ocarina of Time for DS, they really need to make it EXACTLY like the old version as far as switching items is concerned (i.e., you push Start, the game pauses, the menu pops up, and you pick different items to use) but with one major exception: you can switch items in real-time using the bottom screen if you choose to do it that way. The bottom screen ought to have huge icons for each icon so you can quickly use your thumbs to switch items.

Gen.Wedge said:
Can you use the touchpad with the thumb cord device to control Mario? If so, I'm so sold on this game.

Yeah, you can, and a few people have said that it actually works well in some cases than the D-Pad, and most who've played MP:FH with it have said that it does a very good job of mimicking a analog stick. So, I hope those impressions ring true when I get my hands on it.

lexi

Banned
snapty00 said:
On one of the Super Mario 64 DS videos, some of the polygons (such as on the castle) seemed to be a bit unstable or something.

Which video are you referring to? I watched the Opening 3 videos and noticed nothing of the sort.

snapty00

Banned
lockii said:
Which video are you referring to? I watched the Opening 3 videos and noticed nothing of the sort.
I saw it a bit on the castle (such as the red sections) in the opening video of Mario, Wario, and Yoshi.

Rlan

When I first saw King Bob-Bomb back in SM64, I thought that he was wearing sort of a Suit.

Now that he's actually got Polygons on him, I can it actually looks like a Mustache :)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Sorry for the (potentially) stupid questions, but what do we know about mario 64's minigames/additional content? I haven't been following the game as closely as I should have been.

Are the original 120 stars unchanged? How do the 30 new ones fit in? Just 4 new worlds and a couple new secret stars or something?

What about the minigames? Are they just tacked onto the front menu or did they tie them into the 1P game?

Some of this might not be known yet, but if anyone can shed some light on any of this for me, I'd be much obliged.

Edit: while I'm at it, what's the deal with turning into mario at times? I can see how it could sometimes be used as a dev. shortcut, like times when you might just NEED to be him (none immediately jump out), but in the sunken ship vid it just seems random. Hit some thing... turn into mario. For what purpose?

hooo

boooy
GDJustin said:
Edit: while I'm at it, what's the deal with turning into mario at times? I can see how it could sometimes be used as a dev. shortcut, like times when you might just NEED to be him (none immediately jump out), but in the sunken ship vid it just seems random. Hit some thing... turn into mario. For what purpose?

Yoshi can transform into Mario, Luigi, or Wario with the right hat (which are scattered and hidden through out levels).

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Why do they have to show both screens in Super Mario 64 DS? They should just drop the map screen in the videos.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Is it just me or does Asphalt: Urban GT look like complete ass? That is a horrible framerate. I thought this game was running at 60 fps, but it constantly stutters in those videos. Mario 64 looks cool, but it's an old game. I'm sure the mini games are a nice addition, but I'll hold off on getting a DS until the New Super Mario Bros, Yoshis Touch and Go, Metroid Prime: FH and Castlevania come out. The launch is smothered in ports, but thankfully there's some new games on the horizon, I don't want to buy a port machine.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
MadOdorMachine said:
Is it just me or does Asphalt: Urban GT look like complete ass? That is a horrible framerate. I thought this game was running at 60 fps, but it constantly stutters in those videos. Mario 64 looks cool, but it's an old game. I'm sure the mini games are a nice addition, but I'll hold off on getting a DS until the New Super Mario Bros, Yoshis Touch and Go, Metroid Prime: FH and Castlevania come out. The launch is smothered in ports, but thankfully there's some new games on the horizon, I don't want to buy a port machine.

...? The only port in the launch lineup is Mario 64. In fact, that's the only port PERIOD that's been announced for the DS. :/

MrparisSM

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:

ummm, I think people are confusing the "stuttering" with the "nitro boost"... When he hits the boost the screen kind of stutters and he speeds up a lot... check it out again...

Kon Tiki

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
...? The only port in the launch lineup is Mario 64. In fact, that's the only port PERIOD that's been announced for the DS. :/

Asphalt: Urban GT, Super Mario64, Urbz is a port. Hell there are a lot of GBA games that got switched over to DS. It will be awhile before some 'unique' DS games come out.

Society said:
Asphalt: Urban GT, Super Mario64, Urbz is a port. Hell there are a lot of GBA games that got switched over to DS. It will be awhile before some 'unique' DS games come out.

Asphalt a port? Is Madden on Xbox a port of the PS2 version too?

Urbz is a port of the... oh wait, no it's not a port.

Amir0x

Banned
Littleberu said:

Asphalt is a port of the NGAGE game, which was fairly horrible.

Urbz is on every single system known to mankind. It's a port by the very definition.

Amir0x

Banned
lockii said:
PictoChat is a port too, by GAF logic.

What would you consider a port? Would a port not be NGAGE Asphalt -> NINTENDO DS Asphalt? If that's not a port, then there's no such thing as a port.

lexi

Banned
Asphalt is a port yes, but RR is certainly not. Nor is Urbz, but that's EA shovelware anyway, so I won't argue it.

Amir0x

Banned
lockii said:
Asphalt is a port yes, but RR is certainly not. Nor is Urbz, but that's EA shovelware anyway, so I won't argue it.

Ok, but why isn't Urbz a port? It's out on every system, including GBA. The gameplay mechanics are exactly the same, although there are a few differences between the visuals for each incarnation.

And yes, I believe Madden is a port.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Littleberu said:

Asphalt is on Ngage.

Urbz is most defiantly a GBA port.

Amir0x said:
Ok, but why isn't Urbz a port? It's out on every system, including GBA. The gameplay mechanics are exactly the same, although there are a few differences between the visuals for each incarnation.

And yes, I believe Madden is a port.

:lol
Out of curiousity, do the other Urbz games have Gnome surgery?

COCKLES

being watched
Sp3eD said:
Looks awesome. I can't wait until November 21st :D

I find it amazing that both PSP and DS are coming so soon...seems like yesterday that they were announced. I'm getting old. :(

Top Bottom