• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 64 DS Official Website Open

http://nintendods.com/sm64ds/final/

Nothing really all that impressive compared to your usual Nintendo flash site. But it's got some new footage, of (I think) a couple of new worlds hidden around the site. Pretty cool.

Also seems to show off the characters quite a bit, each character really seems to be almost completely different. I'm thinking Luigi and Yoshi have the coolest power flower moves. :p

I'm loving the minigames, especially Luigi's set, gambling? Oh yes. There's a lot of addicting stuff in there, Breakout Mario style? I'm loving it. This game looks like it'll definitely have a huge amount of replay value.

Memles

Mario's video shows the Poison Water level seen in the 16-Minute Demonstration at Gamer's Summit, and Luigi's video shows off a new snow level.

The site is quite good; shows off the moves. Yoshi's minigames look lamerific, Luigi in a tuxedo looks amazing, and Mario and Wario's seem the most interesting and challenging.

Choosing between the Bowser wallpaper and the Group one coming out of the DS is a tough one.

fallout

mariodscap-edit.jpg

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm really really glad to see that the minigames have some "meat" to them. This is becoming a better and better overall package all the time. The minigames themselves could be a game if there was about 30 more of them, let alone being included with SM64's ( heavily remixed) quest and some multiplayer options.

Kon Tiki

Banned
GDJustin said:
I'm really really glad to see that the minigames have some "meat" to them. This is becoming a better and better overall package all the time. The minigames themselves could be a game if there was about 30 more of them, let alone being included with SM64's ( heavily remixed) quest and some multiplayer options.

Between Mario Party (7 of them), Wario Ware, and this, I am suprised they can think of new minigames. :p

snapty00

Banned
StrikerObi said:
WTF? Nintendo always provides 1280x? wallpapers. Why aren't there any here? Lame.
Nintendo is -- rightfully, I might add -- trying to cut down on excessive desktop space. :p

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
olimario said:
Ha!
Look at Luigi run on the water!
And Mario can wall jump!

This is Mario 64 2!
Mario could wall jump in the original... it just wasn't used that often.

Really great movies on the site. Glad I checked it out.

Luigi's "water walking" capability is really neat. Can't wait to sink my teeth into this game for sure :)

Socreges

Banned
olimario was wrong, but now he's right. The wall-jumping has been ripped out of SMS. You can see for a moment that Mario hugs the wall and pushes off. In SM64 it would have been instantaneous.

I reeeaaalllly don't want to have to buy this game, but the more I see, the more I want it. I wish they had packed it in.

miyuru

Damn! It looks almost like a new game! Anyone notice the massive retexturing on the first stage? (you can see it in Mario's video)

Ah damn. I'm so sold on this.

I want my DS right now! The music alone brings back so many great memories and the new content looks great.

Mario 64 DS + Feel The Magic + Nintendo DS + Metroid Prime Hunters Demo = mine in a week.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck I hate Nintendo!

I just need to buy this rehashed title!

+1 DS sale, I hope there isn’t a big wait in PAL territories!

Also SM64 was the only game that ever got ruined by a game guide! So I am itching to play a “refreshed” version!

Wow, this is not a simple port like Nintendo did with the GBA mario's.
This whole handheld war is starting to reward the gamers.

I love how they made the touch screen a analog controller.
The fact that the DS doesn't have a analog controller was my only problem with the system.
But this really solves that problem in a better way then just putting a stick on the system.
You really have this big ass analog stick now :lol

This game is a must buy for me. Can't wait.

Has anyone noticed that Mario has more realistic body proportions in all his latest games (including this) compared to the original Mario 64 where he had a really fat head and smaller body? I actually like the fatter head look better heh.

Red Dolphin said:
Has anyone noticed that Mario has more realistic body proportions in all his latest games (including this) compared to the original Mario 64 where he had a really fat head and smaller body? I actually like the fatter head look better heh.

Definitely, I like that quite a bit.

I'm certainly not getting a port vibe from this anymore. It's very much more a remix than anything else, and I love remixes as opposed to ports. I'm really interested in the new courses, we've seen two so far, and I'm going to assume there's at least one more and a good chance of there being a fourth. (7x4=28 stars) Though there's a chance one or two worlds may have more than 7 stars, or even there could be additional secrets to Peach's Castle. Regardless though, the levels look on par to those in the original. But we'll see for sure at the start of next week.

I'm not seeing any reason to not own this.

Drakken

Awesome. I'm really excited about this game now. Nintendo's done a lot to make sure this isn't just a port, but a fresh remake with lots of new stuff.

What is in the pipeline for the DS the first 6 months after launch?

This is the only game I'm interested in at launch, but I'm not sure it is going to last me more than a month or two.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
.:RaZieL:. said:
Wow, this is not a simple port like Nintendo did with the GBA mario's.
This whole handheld war is starting to reward the gamers.

I love how they made the touch screen a analog controller.
The fact that the DS doesn't have a analog controller was my only problem with the system.
But this really solves that problem in a better way then just putting a stick on the system.
You really have this big ass analog stick now :lol

Are there any hands on impressions of how effective the thumbdana is with Mario 64 DS?

Cos I'm still not really sure how it'll work, is it going to end up like drag the path you want Mario to travel on the touch screen affair? Because there's not gonna be a tilt limit like there is with an analog stick. So in the end will the character just follow the path your thumb draws?

I'm confused. But still excited. I'll be even more excited if someone can clear that up though.

ohamsie

As much as I'm looking forward to this, it seems like Wario is just shoehorned in there. What motivation does he have for rescuing the Princess? Also it is strange to me that Yoshi seems to be the main character rather than Mario.

Top Bottom