• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Hopping Into McDonald's Happy Meals in the UK

"When considering some challenges facing Nintendo in the current market, it's common for fans to bemoan what they consider to be undercooked or uninspiring advertising and marketing. To take the undercooked description one step further, there is some positive news for those in the UK that feel the Nintendo brand needs more exposure - Super Mario is coming to Happy Meals.

The moustachioed mascot will be taking over in the next range of Happy Meals in the UK, likely in March, with a batch of themed toys sure to be included. While Happy Meal branding may not strike everyone as valuable marketing, the role of these McDonald's meals in getting the attention of young diners shouldn't be underestimated. We suspect you won't find it hard to locate a parent that's been a victim of Happy Meal-related pressure; it'll also be fun for those of you that do enjoy these meals to grab some Nintendo toys.

In terms of gaining some mass-market attention in the UK, especially among young gamers, this seems like a smart move from Nintendo UK. Hopefully similar promotions will be seen elsewhere in Europe and beyond."

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/02/super_mario_hopping_into_mcdonalds_happy_meals_in_the_uk

This sounds like a VERY smart idea imo.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
So is this an example of the "putting out licences" strategies we heard about at the investor meeting?

Sounds like a good idea to me. They have nothing to lose in the UK.

It has been awhile since they did a promotion for Mario in McDonalds, hasn't it? I remember there was set of toys around Super Mario Bros. 3 release as well, wasn't there?

disco

Woo! I always buy Happy Meals because I feel eating anymore McDonald's than a child's portion will make me obese. Plus the fact that kids food isn't taxed as highly means its a pretty cheap snack if you just need a little carb boost to get you through the day. Having Mario toys makes it even more exciting. :333

chronosic

I loved the Mario happy meal toys they had way back when I was a kid. I think they coincided with the release of Mario 3 or world.

MYE

Woo! I always buy Happy Meals because I feel eating anymore McDonald's than a child's portion will make me obese. Plus the fact that kids food isn't taxed as highly means its a pretty cheap snack if you just need a little carb boost to get you through the day. Having Mario toys makes it even more exciting. :333

Dont lie, you just want the toys, man baby!!!
:p

SeanR1221

4290-C790.jpg

So many memories

emb

Has this never happened in the UK? I can remember a few instances of it stateside. I don't think it will save the Wii U guys.

Any excuse to shamefully scoff a Big Tasty down, peppercorn sauce and uncomfortably warm lettuce dripping down my chin.

Wasn't Luigi withdrawn because the head was too easy to break off and turn into a choking hazard? I seem to remember that from when my dad collected McDonald's toys in the 90s.

Was this a 90s parent thing? My Mum hoarded them thinking they'd be worth something in resell one day.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
maybe left hand and right hand aren't talking when right hand is talking about rebranding the company around health and wellness and left hand is talking about cross-promoting with fast food.

maybe left hand and right hand aren't talking when right hand is talking about rebranding the company around health and wellness and left hand is talking about cross-promoting with fast food.

It doesn't really matter when McDonalds themselves regularly promote the importance of a balanced diet and offer "healthy options" with a child's fat-soaked fries. Loads of companies do this. Hypocrisy means nothing when you can make money off health nuts and lazy eaters. Left hand and right hand are counting change.

emb

Was this a 90s parent thing? My Mum hoarded them thinking they'd be worth something in resell one day.
Might have been. My Grandma used to do the same a little bit. Whenever I got duplicates should would always say I should keep them and leave it sealed up.

Robin64

To be fair, the Happy Meals in the UK have been trying to be rebranded as "not so bad" for your kids. So gone are the days of it just being a burger, fries and coke but for small people. Now you can get, as an example, a Happy Meal that is fish fingers, carrot sticks and fruit juice.

test_account

XP-39C²
Wasnt someone here on NeoGAF going to quit gaming if Nintendo did promotions like this? As a respond to that mobile game that Sony did with promotion with Coca Cola.
I know that it was hyperbole, but i think someone said it =)

bluehat9

that Luigi toy on the bottom row of the Germany pic is definitely the same one Burger King used in the US when they had Wii branded toys.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, Mario was in Happy Meals in Italy as well last Holiday season. At least, it seems their IP licensing intentions are serious. Probably, in the next future, we'll see Mario hopping in Happy Meals in US as well.

ramuh

They best be bringing that in the States. I'm not a kid but I'll buy a happy meal for some mario merchandise.

Nintendo really need to get out those promotional smartphone apps ASAP. I can see this happening. Kid buys Mario Meal. Sees he is a videogame character. Searches on this phones app store.

Will buy a Happy Meal and throw away the food for these.
Can just buy the toys outside of America? If so then...Well, just make sure you get change and check whats in the package first.

So similar size/quality to what you get out of capsules but only at twice the cost?

Lyonaz

They had Super Mario Happy Meals around the Super Mario 3D World release here in the Netherlands too, kinda regret not getting them.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

I have a book all about McD toys and their worth. One fact I remember is that the 101 Dalmatians toys are worth more if they are from the UK, as they were free toys so getting all 101 is hard , compared to the US where you could buy all of them in one fell swoop.

Pretty neat. We had some figures in the US at Burger King. The Mario was very cool and actually really nice.

bktoys.jpg

Those ones from McD actually look really nice. Wonder if we'll get them in the US too?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Nintendo should start including NFC in figures like this. It would be amazing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
To be fair, the Happy Meals in the UK have been trying to be rebranded as "not so bad" for your kids. So gone are the days of it just being a burger, fries and coke but for small people. Now you can get, as an example, a Happy Meal that is fish fingers, carrot sticks and fruit juice.

Sure, you can.

Robin64

Sure, you can.

Heavily promoted, too. Usually the big main image of a Happy Meal is the healthy version.

But. Yeah. Fuck that. As a kid, going to McDonalds, I'd want a burger and fries.

McDonalds' menu has felt so at odds with itself lately. Everyone knows it as a place for junk food, no matter how much of this alternate food they throw on there.

Top Bottom