• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Hopping Into McDonald's Happy Meals in the UK

mclem

I'm reminded of the time when the teenie beanie babies were a thing. Mum would buy the happy meal for the toy for her collection, and feed the burgers to the dogs.

I may be about to follow in her footsteps.

I have a book all about McD toys and their worth. One fact I remember is that the 101 Dalmatians toys are worth more if they are from the UK, as they were free toys so getting all 101 is hard , compared to the US where you could buy all of them in one fell swoop.

Aw man I remember those Dalmatian toys. They were nice, better quality than most. I'd love a link to that book? Really interests me in a boring way.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
So are these the same we got in germany 2 months ago?

mcd-happy-meal-toys-hungary-super-mario.jpg

So they've got Peach. That's already more progressive that the Adventure Time Happy Meals, which are surprisingly lacking Princess Bubblegum, Marceline and Lumpy Space Princess.

It's always bothered me when people refer to Mario as Super Mario.

I just need to wait a little longer and they'll be giving Wii Us away in Happy Meals. I knew waiting was a good idea!

They should do a Nintendo Monopoly promotion where you can win Nintendo consoles, games and eShop points.

kubus

These are pretty awesome, I got Mario (with the coin), Luigi, 1UP, Toad and Peach when they were available in Holland.

I think they were really popular, I heard stories of McDonalds restaurants selling out of them and replacing the Mario toys with some other toys because there was too much demand.

I also think Donkey Kong toy and the Warp Pipe Mario were never released here because they were too dangerous or something. So nobody managed to complete their collection... except a friend of mine who was smart enough to ask the manager of the local McDonalds if he could have the toys from the display when the promotion ended.

And he actually got them. He got all the toys from the display - even Donkey Kong and Warp Pipe Mario. He posted a picture of them on facebook and he told he was being harased by people who wanted to buy those two toys off him :p.

So UK GAF, go to your McDonalds and ask the manager if you can have the display toys! Saves you from having to buy 8 happy meals :)

By the way the quality is pretty good! Yeah there are screws on the back of the toys but they are definitely "display on shelf" worthy. The 1UP actually makes a 1UP sound if you push a button :). Goes nicely with the Zelda music chest.

edit: Here's a pic of the ones I got.

Man, this makes me think we'll actually see Nintendo's presence in the mainstream like the 90s. Now we just need a new Mario cartoon series and a new Nintendo cereal.

Gsnap

Yup. Get 'em while they're young. Now do this more often, and with multiple series. And make legos. And tv shows.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So UK GAF, go to your McDonalds and ask the manager if you can have the display toys! Saves you from having to buy 8 happy meals :)
I don't think I've seen one of those displays in a long time. They seem to have cut back on Happy Meal promotions to help with their health image.

Mlatador

Banned
maybe left hand and right hand aren't talking when right hand is talking about rebranding the company around health and wellness and left hand is talking about cross-promoting with fast food.

Both hands are not - or at least, very likely won't be - part of the same body, so I don't see a problem here.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Shit! I knew I recognized that Germany Happy Meal Mascot!

QtFSB.jpg

Here he is again, dude's always been a creepy motherfucker.

Mario lends itself really well to Happy Meals. Good move imo.

Hopefully Mario can be inculcated into a new generation of chidsters.

Top Bottom