• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

KooopaKid

Banned
Super Mario Planets
(80+ hours invested)

A bit of advertising to help me reach 400 stars ^ ^

Nocturnowl said:
Spotlight Alert

Okay so anyone who has been around this thread since the start is probably aware of KooopaKid's Planet series of stages that if I'm not mistaken aim to bring the mini challenges/puzzle style of hopping between planetoids in Super Mario Galaxy to the 2D Plane.
This leads to a rather different style of stage that merges some nice platforming bits with a few puzzle like tasks to make you think a bit about what to do and how to progress.
Gradually he's been taking on feedback to revamp the older stages while plugging away at new ones.

I just played the revamped versions of the first two stages and as someone who beat the originals I think they've been tuned to a much more manageable difficulty level (original 1-2 was quite the gauntlet if I recall) which is good.

But more impressive is getting around to 1-4 and 1-5 which I'd yet to play, not going to spoil anything here but I really recommend people check these out, the more they go on the more they pull off that Challenge room like approach that makes strong use of taking a main idea and gradually ramping it up.

So yeah, follow this man, I know I am so I can see what comes next in this series, cool unique stages.

Rob said:
One of the smartest, best thought out levels I've seen so far.

correojon said:
Awesome level! Very funny and challenging, the difficulty is just perfect ;)
A new entry in Koopa Kid´s awesome Super Mario Planets series (you should give it a go if you haven´t, there are some awesome levels in this series)

Planet 1-1 :

Change logs:

- Removed the first gap
- Put the first flame-throwers higher
- Added a respawning wiggler
- Changed vastly the look of the level
- Can't lose Yoshi!
- Removed the skull rides and replaced them with blue platforms
- Removed the apple part and completely changed the ending (A little Yoshi's Island homage)
- Changed the ending to make it longer

Code: A933-0000-00B5-7633

Hg3h7el.jpg

Planet 1-2 :

Change logs :
- Removed the skull platform altogether
- Signposted the Thwomp on the far right of the map better
- Changed the puzzle with the Thwomp before getting the spiky shell
- Re-introduced "the defining Super Mario Maker moment" for GAFer Pesca but changed it slightly ;)
- Lowered the hills so that breaking ice blocks is less time consuming
- Removed the hill so you can't get stuck trying to take the 1-UP if you bring the spring with you
- Removed the gap before the final stretch.

Code: CEA6-0000-00B5-7806

XPMyYtO.jpg

Planet 1-3 :

The was the level that required the less changes.
Change logs :

- Added a bit more details to the level
- Replaced the red flying Koopa by a wiggler for thematic consistency
- Added a feather just before the 2 wigglers jump to help players
- Added 2 more flowers to the
underwater part
and improved the presentation of the final stretch

Code: E30F-0000-00B5-8869

RIGtBkE.jpg

Planet 1-4 :

Change logs:
- Changed the way to get the first 1-UP. Can't get stuck or destroy the block
- Lowered the first floating castle so that you can see the ground
- Removed the lava blobs at the beginning
- Removed the randomly bouncing lava blobs, they are fewer of them and on a track
- Changed completely the first platforming section to avoid randomness (See screenshot)
- Changed the second platforming section for thematic consistency
- Removed the third wall you had to destroy
- Changed the floor bombing so it's impossible to get stuck when going up
- Removed 1 flower power at the boss fight, reduced the size of the room but added a medium platform

Code: 035B-0000-00B5-9207

dvXaWp7.jpg

Planet 1-5 :

Change logs:

- Blocked the way to the right on the second planet that allowed to skip a cool part of the level.
- Change the block puzzle at the end so you can't brute force through it

Code: D3C8-0000-00B7-480F

U4q2CBf.jpg

Planet 1-6 :

Change logs:

- Made the cloud platforms thicker at the beginning so you can't fall through
- Change the shape of the last bubble of thoughts so that you can't glide and skip the last challenge

Code: DE2B-0000-00B7-52B9

ILkBMch.jpg

Planet 1-7 :

Change logs:

- Changed the shape of the letters so that they are round when possible
- Changed the U and V obstacles

Code: DD84-0000-00B7-560F

LUXVKXm.jpg

Planet 1-8 :

Change logs:

- Lots of change from the first iteration already!
- Made the take off zones longer so it's easier to fly

Code: EB83-0000-00B7-593F

gdCR77E.jpg

9 stars away from medal number 4. Slowly but surely getting there. Congrats to everyone featured btw :) I've upload 8 courses so far. I clearly gotta get crackin a bit more!! I wanna do a few feed ack dumps as well

cloudyboy

Neo Member
Here is my new level, Spikes pipes and shoe. In this level you have to navigate a tricky level made mostly of pipe and a whole lots of spikes, using the stilleto shoe, the level also feature a mid level checkpoint similar to the one featured by ragnarokX level.

Also feature 5 hidden one up, and one hidden "warp zone"

Quite difficult but not unfair in my opinion

Have fun!

BJvPfan.png

ciD_Vain

Hi guys! Please enjoy my revised version of one of my older most played levels. Includes an added checkpoint system and the removal of a level-breaking glitch.

Bowser Jr's Bob-omb Battleship
1119-0000-00BB-2C7F

Made three new levels recently. I hope you guys like them!

Mario & Yoshi's Amazing Journey - ID: 3913-0000-0091-190E
exuSgcd.jpg

Trick Or...Trick!? - ID: E281-0000-00BC-450A
8WcY5wW.jpg

Super Splatoon Land - ID: EC29-0000-00BB-3BC2
dt96E5D.jpg

Let me know what you think, and all feedback/critiques are welcome!

Aeris1991

Neo Member
Last night I played an extremely difficult Japanese Super Mario World level in an Expert Mode 100 Mario Challenge. I need help figuring out which level it was. It doesn't show up in my "played" history because I ragequit and shut off my console after trying it for about an hour.

I'm hoping if I'm specific enough, then someone might have played it and saved it. The level was SMW, had a Japanese title, and was broken up into sections. It was very difficult:

• The first area had the player bouncing off music notes over groups of spikes with fireballs coming up through the spikes.
  • The next area had the player jumping between single donut blocks with Thwomps coming down as you jumped. The floor was spikes.
  • The next area was the hardest for me. You got a cape and had to fly a decent distance and shoot perfectly through a one-way hole. If you went too low then you'd hit the wall and couldn't fly up due to invisible blocks. If you went too high then you'd hit spikes.
  • The next area had you riding on a skull train and dodging buzz saws.
  • Then you went through a pipe. The next area was fairly short. You had to jump between a few stationary buzz saws.
  • The next area had you riding Buzzy Beetles with spikes on the floor and ceiling.
  • The next area was the last one I reached and conveyer belts with flame jets firing off.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's been a few days, so here's a brand new

Mpl90's random feedback time

"Rules": I play random levels from the last page / pages and I give feedback on them, both here and on Miiverse, which means you get a star anyway (it's a difficult world we live in, too many people are stingy with stars, yadda yadda yadda :p ).

So...let's go!

BOMB Ballet! -- CEC1-0000-0082-1E2F

Your level feels and plays great. I had quite good fun for what I could play. The only problem? I can't beat it.
I reach the room with all the bombs, and I can't do it: there are so many bombs coming and (above all) staying, it's hell :lol
I'll see if I can complete it, so to see if it's just difficult or more frustrating than difficult, but the rest of the level is very good, both aesthetically and to play. Good job on that.

The Hitchhiker
E27E-0000-00B8-0503

...that was INSANE. I don't usually play that many automatic levels, since I want to give feedbacks on levels with actual platforming (even if I'm perfectly aware how you need lots of time and dedication to make them work flawlessly), but, once in a while, why not? And, well, that was batshit insane. The coordination between all the elements, the amount of stuff going on everywhere. Visually mental.

Bit Rot

C749-0000-00B8-991C

Uh, what happens here surprises me. I thought it was a bit too classical and formulaic at first, but then
I start seeing the level being not cohesive, with pipes misplaced, platforms missing or reversed, and then I got the theme of the level. And the higher route
That was a legit surprise, I can't deny it. And platforming is solid. Nice.

Nicely done. Good idea, good implementation, nice flow, well-thought aesthetics. Nice overall.

In water, no one can hear you..
ID: DACE-0000-00BA-D7CD

I like it, and seeing
"mutated" Wigglers continuously chasing you is both fun and tense.
I find the overall layout of the level pretty good, honestly: it helps in giving to the player the feeling something strange is going on. Nice one, fitting for Halloween.

Bowser Jr's Bob-omb Battleship
1119-0000-00BB-2C7F

Wow, this one is very creative, with several good ideas. There are times where it can be a bit difficult to comprehend, like
right at the beginning, where I didn't get how you had to make it so Flying Bob-ombs would break the block with the Trampuline...the other times, I always passed that part with a wall-jump + spin.
It also requires the player to wait a bit too much to see stuff happening...which is what I think is the major flaw of the level. There are other parts where the player is required/recommended to wait and see if stuff happens, otherwise it can't go further. Other example
The part where there are four blocks on top of the pipe leading to Bowser Jr (interesting boss fight, btw!) requires the player to use bob-ombs to break two of them, which means waiting for them to apper. If I were you, I'd have halved the blocks on the pipe, thus needing only to bring a bob-omb there
. This can affect quite negatively the flow of the level itself. Otherwise, it's creative and quite fun, and interesting. Despite the flaws, nice job!

That's it. If you want to check my own levels, and give your feedback on them, here's my MarioMakerHub's page - http://www.mariomakerhub.com/makers/MarcoP90

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well, I didn't post a level in a while...two weeks since 1-2: Down into Flora's caves. But the wait is over. It's time for a brand new New Super Mario Bros. M level.

Name - 1-3: The road to Fungitown
ID - 3B27-0000-00BB-B1FF
Brief description:Mario escaped the caves of Flora, and now he can proceed towards Fungitown. The road is inhabitated by lots of shells and the way you can immediatly look at it's not the only one, but you'll see when you're near Fungitown.
Sub-challenge 1 - Legends say that the road hides a special secret, the "so-called" Golden Way. Is it real? And why Golden? Well, let's see if it can be discovered!
Sub-challenge 2 - Beat the level in less than 20 seconds.

Name - 1-1:Flora garden's plain
ID: D9EC-0000-0082-50A0
Brief description: A new Mario adventure begins! Flowers surely embellish the view quite well, but never forget to be careful, especially for possible secrets hiding even where you wouldn't expect them.
Main challenge (for most of NSMBM levels) - Find the 4 1 Ups + the hidden 1 Up
Sub-challenge 1 - Beat the level in less than 25 seconds
Sub-challenge 2 - Beat the level in less than 20 seconds

Name 1-2: Down into Flora's caves
ID 2296-0000-0098-08AA
Brief description It seems you can't go further on the garden...time to go into the caves. Watch out for multiple ways and secrets.
Sub-challenge 1 - Beat the level in less than 30 seconds
Sub-challenge 2 - It looks like some Bowser's henchmen stole a Yoshi! Free it and get it. Don't forget: the level contains a clue about what to do in order to free it and eliminate the enemies

correojon

I don't understand how you struggle jumping off the Clown Car, you just have to jump right? The Clown Car doesn't despawn either, only when you go too far apparently.
The thing is that if you fail the jump you can fall between the Clown Car and the wall to the bottom. So the Clown Car stays up there in an unreachable position. Maybe if you waited long enough the Car would come back on it´s own, I haven´t tried that.
Anyway, the main problem is that you´re introducing an element not seeing before in the level and without any training you require the player to make a jump which if failed will block his progress (this is even worse than an instant death this far into the level). If I used ZR to dismount (which I did the first times as I thought it worked like Yoshi) it´s pretty easy to fall.
Tldr; One jump with a previously unused element that can block progress so far into the level should be dealt with.

Playing your new level now!

PS: I give up for now!
Did you time out? I think this is the most twisted puzzle level I´ve done yet :p

As I commented the level, it was a good course, I liked the mechanics and puzzles, however I feel like the first section is easier than the second section, but that might be because I was better at catching the puzzles.
Thanks for the comments!
I tried to make the level increase in complexity so the first section is a simple introduction to the dual world concept, to see how things change between worlds, to see that some obstacles can be surpassed in the other world and finally to showcase how you can use things that influence both worlds to open new paths (the P-Switch). After that, the second part adds more elements and forces the player to use what he´s learned in the first section, as well as increasing the complexity of the layout so he has to think about both worlds at once to solve the puzzles. Finally, the end is more linear because I didn´t want the player to get lost so far into the level as that would be too frustrating.

(On RtDL5: Bomb Battle in Sky Bridge 944B-0000-00B5-13D6)
Enjoyed this, felt the back half of the level was much stronger than the first half
I wanted the level to ramp in intensity until the end, but it seems that while trying to do so I may have made the first part too simple. I´ll try to spice up the first part a bit, thanks for the feedback!

(On Wiggler´s Steampunk Tree DD65-0000-00B5-171F)
I really enjoyed this, but frankly I must say I was confused by what I was even supposed to do for an embarrassingly long time.
Yeah, I like a lot the concept of this stage, but at the same time I haven´t found a good way to communicate to the player what´s going on until he is half-done with the level. I´m really out of ideas here, the whole stage is reversible so anything I put to "help" the player in one direction will only mess up even more players who go through that part in the opposite one. Also, one direction depending on coins and the other on blocks thanks to the PSwitches render coins as a guiding mechanism useless. Between the complexity of the concept (2 reversible paths, the user can choose the direction at the beginning, PSwitch altering the layout) and the limitations I imposed to myself (space, vertical stage, busy theme) I can´t figure any way of conveying the underlying concept without scrapping the whole stage and simplifiying it so much that it loses it´s meaning.
Any ideas would be more than welcome.

Bydobob

I decided to make another auto-scrolling shmup tribute level, this one is loosely based on the first level from R-TYPE:

"Super R-TYPE Bros"

C942-0000-00A9-2CC0

How could I not play this level? Fabulous look to the level, it all gets a bit lost close up, but macro view certainly makes sense! And yes, that's me who found your little secret ;)

Shaking off some rust here...

WVW69igN6OEhIifnuV

Patience Panic!?
(9C3C-0000-00BA-A0C2)

Something I like about just making a standard platforming stage with a noticeable trend/gimmick.
And somehow this game continues to compel me to make autoscrolling stages.

Well, you can keep making them it they're all like this. Cool concept, particularly like the climax where the flame is igniting the Bob-ombs, you have the timing just right. I can see many people running into the Spiketop at the end as they rush towards the black on the slippery ice, but that would be the only niggle in an otherwise fine level.

Difficulty: Survival Horror

Why is Mario lost in a lab full of Xeno-Wigglers? Discover the truth!
(There is no truth, this is for Halloween!)

One of the best SMM water levels I've played. Ostensibly this is a very easy level, but those Wigglers, combined with the autoscroll carry enough threat to urge you onwards. It also sounds great, and has a very attractive, uncluttered look about it.

Thanks to those who starred by Lemon Squeezy level, but it was only a warm up effort really and had to go. I've now replaced it with a proper, fully-fledged level that has my stamp all over it. In other words, you're in for an adventure!

Goombas play ball
D8BE-0000-00BC-A92E

Goombas rewrite the script and cast themselves as heroes! As the name implies, these little fellas are actually up for a bit of a throw and kickaround. They're even pretty handy in a scrap v Bowser. This is their story.

OK, preamble out of the way, I feel the need to warn people that some people may find this level challenging. If you didn't know much about SMW mechanics and Goomba behaviour then you'll learn pretty fast here if you're going to progress. This is perhaps my most ambitious level yet, and I ran into some spawning issues that took a lot of work to counteract. The final result isn't always perfect, but shouldn't impact anyone's enjoyment.

Realyn

So my level is sitting on 0% completion.

Version 2.0 changes:
- I got mad, so I made it even more difficult

I would be happy if mine would get played at all. Sitting on 3 tries so far and I assume those are from this thread. Is it just random chance for the 100 Mario Challenge?

I would be happy if mine would get played at all. Sitting on 3 tries so far and I assume those are from this thread. Is it just random chance for the 100 Mario Challenge?

Yeah, it's random. I think it's also random if your stage gets into somebody's up & coming list.

I actually do want to make a hard version of my level for the fun of it, I just need to think of ideas.

I've decided to delete Trick or...Trick!? because it was ridiculously hard, and had a lot of enemy spam, and replaced it with a new version of it. There's a lot of enemies, but I removed a lot so it wouldn't be a mess. Anyway, I've edited my post above with the new Stage and ID, so hopefully, you guys check it out!

BOMB Ballet! -- CEC1-0000-0082-1E2F

Your level feels and plays great. I had quite good fun for what I could play. The only problem? I can't beat it.
I reach the room with all the bombs, and I can't do it: there are so many bombs coming and (above all) staying, it's hell :lol
I'll see if I can complete it, so to see if it's just difficult or more frustrating than difficult, but the rest of the level is very good, both aesthetically and to play. Good job on that.

Thanks, duder!

This boss was the first I created, and somehow it might have wound up being the hardest. I might not have conveyed the strategy properly enough. Maybe I should have at least removed the spikes.

Well, you can keep making them it they're all like this. Cool concept, particularly like the climax where the flame is igniting the Bob-ombs, you have the timing just right. I can see many people running into the Spiketop at the end as they rush towards the black on the slippery ice, but that would be the only niggle in an otherwise fine level.

This wouldn't be the first time I had someone point out that one of my scrolling stages may lead people speeding into an incoming enemy.

So maybe I should heed this advice, for some reason if there's ever a lull in the scroll I figure "better throw an enemy in", maybe it's because I expect people to not be racing to the front of the scroll.

Makes me wonder if one of my personal favourite stages I made in "Swinging Snappers" would be improved if I tweaked the occasional chomp barrelling in from the front during that stages scrolling segment. Guess it's one of those obvious to the creator and not to everyone else hazards.

Cheers for playing!

jarosh

Since getting Super Mario Maker last month, I've been hard at work on a total remake of the original Mega Man for NES. Not exactly the most original idea, I know, but I wanted to put a little extra effort into my project to make my levels really stand out from previous Mega Man recreations. After many, many hours, I'm finally ready to share the fruits of my labor. I wish I could have added some checkpoints to mitigate the extreme challenge, but that aside, I'm very happy with how everything turned out. Enjoy!

An Adventure of MEGA Proportions!

One of the Mushroom Kingdom's oldest legends is that of the Power Star Tree, a sacred plant that produces Power Stars whenever a special melody is played. Somehow, that crafty Bowser has discovered both the the tree's secret grove and its bloom melody. With this new source of limitless power, the Koopa Empire was able to conquer the entire Mushroom Kingdom overnight! Oh no!

But our stalwart savior Mario refuses to give in! Koopa squads have taken hold of six strategic locations -- if Mario can invade their domains and defeat their captains, he just may find clues pointing towards the whereabouts of the Power Star Tree. Of course, Bowser will surely be prepared with some grand scheme to flush that pesky plumber down the drain once and for all. Will our heroic handyman emerge victorious, or has he trimmed his mustache for the last time?

Fight Mario! For everlasting peace!

Dude, you are close to something truly brilliant here. I'm not a fan of remakes, but you've done something very unique with these. You've taken the original stages and themes and mario-fied them in a way that is quite clever and original.

I have played all of them but I don't think I finished a single one. I can't stress enough how simple yet clever some of your ideas are and how elegantly executed. But then there are the frustrating parts. And there are just too many of them. It's a sad reality that Mario Maker is not well suited to epic levels that are also difficult AND have a brutal boss fight. There are no checkpoints and there is no larger context in which the levels are played. And your final acts all border on cruel. If you look at the clear rate on your levels this should come as no surprise. I understand wanting to somewhat approximate Mega Man's difficulty, but it just doesn't work in Mario Maker. It takes more than a single hit to die during a boss fight in Mega Man, and if you do, you get to try again from the boss area.

And some of the frustrating parts are also just not very fun mechanically. Requiring the player to stack 3 springs while being shot at from all directions? Having to cross a long spike section while travelling on moving bullet bills without losing the leaf power-up? Ouch.

It's really too bad because you're damn close to something great here. You might want to consider revising some of these and making them quite a bit easier, particularly the bosses.

I've been trying and failing to design a level that utilised a glitch in a user friendly way, that also didn't render the level unbeatable or boring if it got patched.

This is hard.

But today I finally stumbled upon a different direction I felt was interesting, another fun way to use enemy behavior and what I feel is an original take on the Air-Ship theme. I was feeling pretty good about how things were coming along.
Then minutes ago I played Jarosh's latest two levels, including how he's brilliantly used the Air-Ship theme for Hard Hat Area and damn if I don't think my baby is a little uglier than I did 10 minutes ago.
Saw your Miiverse comments. Thanks man! And don't worry too much. I don't think it's necessary to have all that visual theming and detail. Some of my fave courses have very simple/bare aesthetics and are all about obstacles and platforming. And at least on Plumber's Perilous Pilgrimage I worked with a very stripped down aesthetic too.

J-Fr

I like it, and seeing
"mutated" Wigglers continuously chasing you is both fun and tense.
I find the overall layout of the level pretty good, honestly: it helps in giving to the player the feeling something strange is going on. Nice one, fitting for Halloween.

Thank for the review!

I played your 1-1 and 1-2, Classic Mario levels. I liked them!
The only downside I can find is that there are too many secrets. Each time people wander off, they extend the level duration and have more chance of dying.

1-3: The auto-scrolling speed took me by surprise, I had to try a few times before getting used to it while riding Yoshi. There is another auto-scrolling section?

One of the best SMM water levels I've played. Ostensibly this is a very easy level, but those Wigglers, combined with the autoscroll carry enough threat to urge you onwards. It also sounds great, and has a very attractive, uncluttered look about it.

Goomba plays ball
74D0-0000-00BB-301E

Goombas rewrite the script and cast themselves as heroes! As the name implies, these little fellas are actually up for a bit of a throw and kickaround. They're even pretty handy in a scrap v Bowser. This is their story.

Thank you for the review!

Goomba plays ball:
Challenging level using Galoomba throw, I like that!

I had an hard time figuring the Goomba jump right after getting the helmet.
Clearing the Spinies was a bit of an hassle. If you lost your Goomba or your mushroom you had to backtrack to get them back.
I had no patience to clear the Fire Piranha /Mole hell corridor, I brute forced my way using the mushroom/helmet. Am I a mediocre Goomba thrower?

I will retry tomorrow, stopped at Bowser.

Dude, you are close to something truly brilliant here. I'm not a fan of remakes, but you've done something very unique with these. You've taken the original stages and themes and mario-fied them in a way that is quite clever and original.

I have played all of them but I don't think I finished a single one. I can't stress enough how simple yet clever some of your ideas are and how elegantly executed. But then there are the frustrating parts. And there are just too many of them. It's a sad reality that Mario Maker is not well suited to epic levels that are also difficult AND have a brutal boss fight. There are no checkpoints and there is no larger context in which the levels are played. And your final acts all border on cruel. If you look at the clear rate on your levels this should come as no surprise. I understand wanting to somewhat approximate Mega Man's difficulty, but it just doesn't work in Mario Maker. It takes more than a single hit to die during a boss fight in Mega Man, and if you do, you get to try again from the boss area.

And some of the frustrating parts are also just not very fun mechanically. Requiring the player to stack 3 springs while being shot at from all directions? Having to cross a long spike section while travelling on moving bullet bills without losing the leaf power-up? Ouch.

It's really too bad because you're damn close to something great here. You might want to consider revising some of these and making them quite a bit easier, particularly the bosses.

The toughest spots are the bosses, but since they appear at the end of the level, meaning there isn't more to explore beyond, I didn't feel pressured to make them easy. I figured the player would have been able to see the whole level by that point -- total completion would just be a bonus.

My only major disappointment (minus some niggling little gripes here and there) with MEGAfied is Mario Maker's lack of checkpoint system. I only learned about RagnarokX's password system after all my levels were uploaded -- I could have used something like that. Lots of my levels are packed enough as is, though, hitting the object limit in several cases, so I would have had to drastically change certain elements, but I would have figured something out to make it work.

I did my best to mitigate some challenges by inserting shortcuts and secret items, then using environmental clues to subtly point them out. For example,
the spring boss can be flown over if you were able to find the hidden leaf where the Magnet Beam is located in Mega Man (it's a bit ironic that you pointed this particular boss out, considering my Elec Man stage is the one with most completions thus far). Similarly, hidden Fire Flowers in each level grant an extra hit point and in a couple of cases can be used to cause direct damage to the boss. And in order to make the boss rush at the end less of a headache, I did make the rematches significantly easier.

Bydobob

Thank you for the review!

Goomba plays ball:
Challenging level using Galoomba throw, I like that!

I had an hard time figuring the Goomba jump right after getting the helmet.
Clearing the Spinies was a bit of an hassle. If you lost your Goomba or your mushroom you had to backtrack to get them back.
I had no patience to clear the Fire Piranha /Mole hell corridor, I brute forced my way using the mushroom/helmet. Am I a mediocre Goomba thrower?

I will retry tomorrow, stopped at Bowser.

Probably not much wrong with your throwing skills, try kicking instead! Just walk into them and it's like dribbling in Kick Off. Those delightful Goombas will actually absorb the mole projectiles as you kick. Kicking works better in the Spiny section too.

Well done for your persistence and I do hope you manage to beat Bowser - you'll be the first at this rate!

Edit: Reuploaded, level ID now D8BE-0000-00BC-A92E. Mushroom pipe at Bowser doesn't always spawn at the right time so players can miss it. Now with dirty big arrow pointing to it. Bah!

So I was playing a level online and there was a room with a wall and a ghost on a track. There was a pipe on the other side of the wall. I couldn't get through the wall until the ghost moved along the track. It seemed like at a certain point the ghost triggered a P Block effect and the wall turned into coins. But I don't recall seeing any P Block in the area.

Is there a way to hide blocks and other things to where they invisibly trigger actions? I tried using putting a P Block inside an invisible ? Block, but it didn't trigger when I put a ghost on the track with it, and when I hit the ? Block it just spit out the P Block at the top like it normally would.

Bydobob

Me and the roommate made some more levels.

My buddy's levels:

Deathship
FB6D-0000-00BB-2CEE

Boney Ice Cavern
1BFC-0000-00B9-B297

Tell us what you think.

Ah, just read these are your mates levels, sorry!

Deathtrap level ID not found.

Boney Ice Cavern is OK, simple platforming but felt like various elements thrown together with no real sense of design. The power-ups towards the end are also very generous and allow you to completely disregard the stack of Bones by just taking a hit and drive to the finish.

Well, I didn't post a level in a while...two weeks since 1-2: Down into Flora's caves. But the wait is over. It's time for a brand new New Super Mario Bros. M level.

Name - 1-3: The road to Fungitown
ID - 3B27-0000-00BB-B1FF
Brief description:Mario escaped the caves of Flora, and now he can proceed towards Fungitown. The road is inhabitated by lots of shells and the way you can immediatly look at it's not the only one, but you'll see when you're near Fungitown.
Sub-challenge 1 - Legends say that the road hides a special secret, the "so-called" Golden Way. Is it real? And why Golden? Well, let's see if it can be discovered!
Sub-challenge 2 - Beat the level in less than 20 seconds.

Ah, just read your post properly. I need to go back to this one. I basically completed it by doing the Sub-challenge, so never saw the level proper. I'm not the cleverest when it comes to puzzles though so perhaps the secret is easier than you intended?

I tried searching your posts to find your level but couldn't find it. Did you post your ID? Always happy to give an unloved level a try!

I've decided to delete Trick or...Trick!? because it was ridiculously hard, and had a lot of enemy spam, and replaced it with a new version of it. There's a lot of enemies, but I removed a lot so it wouldn't be a mess. Anyway, I've edited my post above with the new Stage and ID, so hopefully, you guys check it out!

I completed this on my second go, not sure how you had such a low completion rate. Anyway, it's a fun, varied level with a lot of interesting ideas. Sometimes there's a bit much going on and places you're almost guaranteed to get hit, but there's lots of power-ups to counteract. I guess this would be my criticism, the power-ups seem to act like an extra hit barrier immediately before a tricky section. I didn't feel my capes were of much use otherwise.

Schlomo

Castles & Koopas
(133B-0000-00B8-DCE0)

I liked the feel of progression and how the "metroidvania" sequence was contained in a tightly arranged space (instead of having you run all across the level). Giving the spiny helmet via a bill blaster was unnecessarily cruel. I got hit twice trying to get it on my head and would probably have quit had it killed me. The whole course was a bit hard overall, maybe you could have handed out a few more power-ups.

Goombas play ball
D8BE-0000-00BC-A92E

I like the Galoomba throwing mechanic, so I enjoyed it, but I think you could have done more puzzles with it. Just clearing enemies gets old after a while, especially in that endless corridor with fire flowers and Montys. Bowser takes forever to kill, so unfortunately I didn't clear it.

Jolly Roger Port
DBA5-0000-00A4-17D1

Awesome level, that you really have to play at least twice to fully appreciate. Levels with multiple paths often feel pointless to me (why not put all your good ideas on a single path?), but they are so tightly interwoven here that it's simply fun to explore. On top of that, it looks great visually.

Big trouble in Little Toadkyo!
(BE59-0000-00A8-C741)

Another excellent level with great use of secrets and multiple paths. Some criticism: I didn't like the overuse of sound effects. Also, in a sky ship stage there shouldn't be any platforms or objects on the lowest and highest grid because of the camera movement. The boss puzzle somehow didn't work for me, the POW block always disappeared at some point, so after re-entering through the pipe three times I became annoyed and damage-boosted through the plants. Despite these problems, I really liked it!

Holy Monty Mole-y grotto trails
D8D0-0000-00B7-1278

This continues in the same vein of your other levels, and I would probably absolutely love it if I had been able to clear it. The multiple paths and secret power-ups kept my motivation up for some time, but ultimately it's much too difficult and long. A clear rate of <1% really is a pity for a brilliant levels like this. I hope you upload a new version in case we get checkpoints in a patch.

Finally, I'll post my most recent levels again here, so please try them if you haven't yet:

Dino Cloning Lab
(5423-0000-00C4-D27A)
If you want to clone a dinosaur, all you need is a DNA machine and some dino DNA. Off to the amber mine!

Escape from Koopatraz
(216A-0000-00A0-3982)
Mario is condemned for Koopa mass murder and escorted to a high security prison. Luckily, from his days as a plumber, he knows there's a way out if he can only reach the drainage room. But first, he needs to break out of his cell...

MARIOWOOD
(9571-0000-008F-EE78)
After a series of commercial flops, our washed-up hero travels to the huge sign once erected in his honor, which has now fallen into disrepair. Will this be his last journey? Is there no more room for old school heroes in this world?

Double

New course!

This is a puzzle level that uses the dual worlds mechanic with many elements changing between worlds:
  • Yellow Blocks become coins
  • Goombas become Mushrooms
  • Grinders become moving platforms
  • Spikes become stone blocks
  • One direction doors change to the opposite direction
The layout twists and warps around itself, but if you follow the sound cues you´ll be able to find the exit with no problem.
Hope you enjoy it!
Cool level! The part where you had to take the switch back for the first time you can lock yourself out of being able to get back up again to the door by collecting all the coins though, I think.

Also felt a tiny bit like I broke it again after I got Yoshi, since there where some routes that were now accessable but not needed to finish the course, but it seemed like those where just shortcuts around the level (not really needed anymore though)?

Second level of a friend, fair little airship level with 2 different paths to take, providing some diversities in gameplay. Please try it out :)

Choose your path in the Sky
(BB92-0000-00BC-6C79)

Thud

Hey, GAF. I'll stream some of your levels shortly if you provide them to me here! :)

Don't know if you have played them, anyway:

Bowser's Castle 64
4DE0-0000-004B-3A7D

Dark Side of the Goomba (Remix)
5F65-0000-0060-8B3E

Marioary
73FC-0000-0028-6208

Clown Attics
36BD-0000-0096-84C9

Hi all,

Thought I'd drop by to say hi and to let you all critique my first level: Obstacles and Exploration!

3F67-0000-00BD-03EF

I feel it provides a fair challenge for the mindful gamer, and is equal parts platforming and discovering. Have fun!

Hey, GAF. I'll stream some of your levels shortly if you provide them to me here! :)

Please feel free :)

CrisKre

I liked the feel of progression and how the "metroidvania" sequence was contained in a tightly arranged space (instead of having you run all across the level). Giving the spiny helmet via a bill blaster was unnecessarily cruel. I got hit twice trying to get it on my head and would probably have quit had it killed me. The whole course was a bit hard overall, maybe you could have handed out a few more power-ups.

I like the Galoomba throwing mechanic, so I enjoyed it, but I think you could have done more puzzles with it. Just clearing enemies gets old after a while, especially in that endless corridor with fire flowers and Montys. Bowser takes forever to kill, so unfortunately I didn't clear it.

Awesome level, that you really have to play at least twice to fully appreciate. Levels with multiple paths often feel pointless to me (why not put all your good ideas on a single path?), but they are so tightly interwoven here that it's simply fun to explore. On top of that, it looks great visually.

Another excellent level with great use of secrets and multiple paths. Some criticism: I didn't like the overuse of sound effects. Also, in a sky ship stage there shouldn't be any platforms or objects on the lowest and highest grid because of the camera movement. The boss puzzle somehow didn't work for me, the POW block always disappeared at some point, so after re-entering through the pipe three times I became annoyed and damage-boosted through the plants. Despite these problems, I really liked it!

This continues in the same vein of your other levels, and I would probably absolutely love it if I had been able to clear it. The multiple paths and secret power-ups kept my motivation up for some time, but ultimately it's much too difficult and long. A clear rate of <1% really is a pity for a brilliant levels like this. I hope you upload a new version in case we get checkpoints in a patch.

Finally, I'll post my most recent levels again here, so please try them if you haven't yet:

Dino Cloning Lab
(B299-0000-00B5-70DA)
If you want to clone a dinosaur, all you need is a DNA machine and some dino DNA. Off to the amber mine!

Escape from Koopatraz
(216A-0000-00A0-3982)
Mario is condemned for Koopa mass murder and escorted to a high security prison. Luckily, from his days as a plumber, he knows there's a way out if he can only reach the drainage room. But first, he needs to break out of his cell...

MARIOWOOD
(9571-0000-008F-EE78)
After a series of commercial flops, our washed-up hero travels to the huge sign once erected in his honor, which has now fallen into disrepair. Will this be his last journey? Is there no more room for old school heroes in this world?

Thank you and very appreciated! The most difficult aspect for me is restraint with difficulty. Im doing a new level that i hope strikes a chord between complexity and lack of frustration. I think Jolly Roger Port is the level that most accomplishes that so far.

Ill be sure to check your levels as soon as i get home!

woopWOOP

I'm too lazy to make an account, enable chat and post there :V

But if you still catch this post on time you can give one of these stages a try, since not a lot of people played them yet. The former might be a little tedious though.
Finally made a level I feel decent about. It's more of a puzzle level though, if you can call it that. Clear the way so you and the 'red line' can safely make it across the chasm.
The Red Line! (Helps You Jump)
F29F-0000-00B5-9752

A different stage on my alt account seems liked so I guess I can share that one too. This is more of a straightforward action stage. That cloud is one mean bully.
Cloud Bully
5A71-0000-00AE-D1AB

(mat)

I'm too lazy to make an account, enable chat and post there :V

But if you still catch this post on time you can give one of these stages a try, since not a lot of people played them yet. The former might be a little tedious though.

Playing one of these right now!

Hi all,

Thought I'd drop by to say hi and to let you all critique my first level: Obstacles and Exploration!

3F67-0000-00BD-03EF

I feel it provides a fair challenge for the mindful gamer, and is equal parts platforming and discovering. Have fun!

Please feel free :)

I played it! Lots of fun! :)

one_kill

Updated one of my levels based on feedback I got here:

Super Builder Mario: EB29-0000-00BD-322B
Streamlined an old level of mine. Basic premise is to construct your way to the flag.

Here are some of the levels I have made that I am proud of:

The 3rd Labyrinth: 7B4B-0000-008C-4286
Fairly straightforward level that uses the shell grabbing and racoon suit mechanics of SM3.

Diddy's Banana Coin Plantation: 44DB-0000-0082-7881
Play as Diddy and collect banana coins while climbing and hopping across vines.

10 seconds to finish: 08F9-0000-007C-6741
It only takes less than 10 seconds to beat this level. 15 completions out of 735 attempts (2.04% clear rate). Can you do it?

Vine Travel Assault: C929-0000-00B0-0E10
Sprout up the two vines at the start and go through a dastardly course.

Bydobob

Thanks for playing, and sorry you didn't get past Bowser. He stands in front of a '20' so players can count down the Goombas needed!

It's an interesting point isn't it, puzzles. The puzzle here is figuring the best way of using your Goombas to clear a path. I'm not sure throwing a few chin-strokers wouldn't have upset the flow and sporty theme of the level.

There's some more stuff after Bowser actually, including an optional challenge that I hope isn't too subtle. Hopefully someone reports back when they complete it!

Escape from Koopatraz
(216A-0000-00A0-3982)

So, talking of puzzles... I got stuck
in the first screen trying to figure out where to put the spring, then at the Buzzykoopachomp bit not seeing the solution was under, not over them.
Lost my lives exclusively in these 2 places.

Good level overall though with a broad mix of challenges. I enjoyed the theme too, the layout conveyed a convincing sense of place. I feel the only slight weakness was the end.
Fetching the spring was a straightforward series of jumps right next to the pipe in question.
Given the whole escape theme I expected a grander finish.

(mat)

Stream's over. Played a handful of your guys' levels. I had the most fun with this one for some reason:

Cloud Bully
5A71-0000-00AE-D1AB

WVW69ifRv7w0YRtJt1

Thanks so much everybody! Fun time!

Here's a link to the recording, if you'd like to skip to where I play your level, or even the level above, which I've now dubbed "Adventures With My Cloud Friend"

http://www.twitch.tv/nobodycouldsaymyoldname/v/22106226

Edit: Didn't realise my game audio was messing up so badly. Darn. Oh well.

Edit 2: I made a highlight of my favourite moment from the stream. I played "Cloud Bully" for nearly 20 minutes. Fun time! http://www.twitch.tv/nobodycouldsaymyoldname/v/22132772

CrisKre

Dino Cloning Lab
(B299-0000-00B5-70DA)

Escape from Koopatraz
(216A-0000-00A0-3982)

MARIOWOOD
(9571-0000-008F-EE78)

Hey! Played your levels, and they are legit fun. You have agreat knack for challenging levels that are tematically interesting and avoid being frustrated. Also, some really creative mechanics in there.

I loooved one minute in heaven btw. [Almost] beating it was a ton of fun. (Died right next to the pole)

Statred and left comments.

The level was meant to be pretty hard, and the power ups you do get are incredibly strong (I consider the kuribo's shoe and spiny hat to be power ups and you can stock up on them for the rest of the level).

I'll probably do something about the spiny launcher whenever I make the "extreme difficulty" version of the level, but I know what's wrong with it (it has to do with Nintendo not knowing how to program having a spiny hat on an amiibo costume, so it takes damage instead even when you are in the correct spot.)

Griss

Do you have to restart your level from the beginning every time when testing it? It would be awesome to be able to test your last jump etc.

Also, anyway to speed up how fast things unlock? Takes a ridiculous amount of time. I've been playing for 9 days and at least 10 hours and have only unlocked half the stuff. EDIT: Never mind, found it in the OP. How bloody esoteric.

Dorygrant

Do you have to restart your level from the beginning every time when testing it? It would be awesome to be able to test your last jump etc.

Also, anyway to speed up how fast things unlock? Takes a ridiculous amount of time. I've been playing for 9 days and at least 10 hours and have only unlocked half the stuff. EDIT: Never mind, found it in the OP. How bloody esoteric.

Just click 'play' with the touch screen instead of pressing '-' and it will resume where mario is currently on the screen!

tkscz

n2uERmQ.png

"Must Proceed Hastily" - 37C0-0000-00BD-237E

From the name you can probably tell who you'll play as
I just bought a Sonic amiibo and had to do it.

woopWOOP

Stream's over. Played a handful of your guys' levels. I had the most fun with this one for some reason:
Haha, watching your archive now (as I had to be off last night). Glad you liked it :]

Looks like it's not entirely clear you have to jump down at the end near the red line. Also maybe I should reupload a new version where the main course is used as a tutorial of sorts since the controls are rather weird when that thing's pushing you (if you try to run right the cloud moves you even faster, slowly pushing you to the right side of the screen). Allows you to get the hang of things before having to lay down all that groundwork again.

Thanks for playing!

Top Bottom