• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supreme Court of Canada + 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Actually that's kinda the same way it is here. If you have probable cause you can search a person, but without cause even if you find something - it cannot be used against them.

I would be surprised if the Canadian supreme court ruled otherwise. If someone is smoking a joint and sees and officer then puts the joint in their pocket - I highly doubt that would be protected. In the states if an officer doesn't have a reason to search you and does, they can find someone severed scrotom in your pocket and couldn't do jack about it.

darscot

The main difference is probable cause in Canada is different. The phrases like "white youths", "black male" or my favorite "suspicous" does not constitute probable cause.

darscot

The smoking a joint and putting it in your pocket thing wouldn't cut it. A cop would not have the right to search your pockets because he thinks he saw you smoking a joint. Before this ruling a cop wouldn't bother with you for something this minor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom