• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Razdek

Banned
Oh man, there's rumors that the Surface 2 is going to launch at the same original prices $499 and $599. "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" - Albert Einstein. Good luck Microsoft, get that write down cheques ready for the next quarter.

MCD

It's insane, yeah but I read that they don't want to piss off OEMS.

Not that they aren't pissed already lol.

Troll

Banned
Those prices... yikes.

But the Verge said that tomorrow is all about the Steam Box announcement, so who cares anyways.

MCD

I have no idea why this steam box shit is so exciting to people. What's so different than what we have today?

I don't know about 'exciting' but to me, no matter how much Steam is good, they need a box for the main stream audience.

Big picture mode was just the start. With the two next Gen consoles being basically PCs in nature, I can honestly see this as a real threat to them. Having your entire PC games playable right from the start is better than consoles abandoning BC after every generation or so.

We will see how this goes.

derFeef

I don't know about 'exciting' but to me, no matter how much Steam is good, they need a box for the main stream audience.

Big picture mode was just the start. With the two next Gen consoles being basically PCs in nature, I can honestly see this as a real threat to them. Having your entire PC games playable right from the start is better than consoles abandoning BC after every generation or so.

We will see how this goes.

With how crappy Big Picture mode is I have very little confidence in that thing, but we will see.

Lucius86

Banned
Does anyone know if the Surface 2 announcement is being live streamed? I can only find LiveBlog updates from Engadget (admittedly I've not looked too hard).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
A $500 Surface 2 RT will be just as unappealing to the mass market as the original was. I doubt they'll be stupid enough to make as many units this time though, so the losses shouldn't be as big.

Walshicus

A $500 Surface 2 RT will be just as unappealing to the mass market as the original was. I doubt they'll be stupid enough to make as many units this time though, so the losses shouldn't be as big.

I guess it depends on what price the Surface 1 goes down to, or whether it's discontinued.

I think I'll probably get a Touch Cover 2 or something like that to complete my Surface RT.

It actually feels just right as long as I use it as a tablet, and as a netbook-grade thing in the desktop.

I really wish they went with a Haswell Y rather than a Haswell U. We might be hearing about 10 hour battery life on the pro and it would obviously be able to get thinner. Maybe MS just wasn't ready for a body reconstruction just 10 months after release. I would 100% be preordering one of the 256/8's if they did.

kazinova

I was about to pre-order and figure out a way to offload my Surface RT for either a Surface 2 or a Pro 2. But then I thought about all the next gen consoles I'll be buying [both of them] and that I have a wedding coming up...

Yeah, maybe I'll see if I can make it to version 3.

DMczaf

My mom has been complaining about her iPad lately; mostly she can't do a lot of the tasks she can do with a normal laptop, so I've been thinking about selling her iPad to get a Surface.

Would the Surface 1 RT be ok for her, or is the Surface 2 RT that much of an upgrade?

Alx

My mom has been complaining about her iPad lately; mostly she can't do a lot of the tasks she can do with a normal laptop, so I've been thinking about selling her iPad to get a Surface.

Would the Surface 1 RT be ok for her, or is the Surface 2 RT that much of an upgrade?

I'd say it mostly depends on the tasks she wants to do to begin with, but I suppose that there's no much difference between what a RT1 and a RT2 can do.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Probably better off spending the extra $100 to get the Surface 2. Faster, 1080p screen, kickstand works better in the lap. I'm sure the RT1 would do the trick (I like mine), but the RT2 improvements are nice.

DMczaf

I'd say it mostly depends on the tasks she wants to do to begin with, but I suppose that there's no much difference between what a RT1 and a RT2 can do.

It's mostly Word, simple spreadsheets, paying bills, surfing the internet, printing stuff, saving files etc. She can do most of it to a degree, but it's becoming more of a hassle on an iPad.

I figured a Surface RT would be perfect for her, but I've never used one so I have no idea other than specs and details that I've found on it.

Alx

Yes I suppose the first RT is fine for all of that, provided you add an additional cover. I didn't think about "lapability" like Schuey mentioned : if it's to be used on a table/desk, there shouldn't be any issue ; but the RT1 is quite uncomfortable to balance on your lap (even if technically it works) .
Power shouldn't be that important, although higher resolution is always nice I suppose.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
the original surface's main complaint has been performance. early hands on for surface 2 seems to have fixed this issue. try one out in the store and see if it is fast enough for you, if not wait for 2.

TylerD

I'm joining the Surface family with a 32GB Surface 2 sans cover since touch cover was sold out. Really liked what I used in Surface RT last year in the mall but the performance just didn't seem to be there for the experience that I want.

anyword on Surface trade at MS store

I was thinking of trading my Kindle HD 8.9 in the Microsoft store, but they have an online tool where you can check the trade in value...

$55

Fuck that. I just 10 minutes ago sold my Fire to a friend for $140 with a bluetooth keyboard.

Didn't think twice about it. I'll be grabbing a Surface RT2 as soon as it's on the market and I have money. Until then I'll make do with my phone and my computer.

Alx

Woah, just saw a journalist using a Surface on the national news for a PowerPoint presentation. It's still surprising to see other people use one in real life.:p But I feel it's getting better known around here. I've been getting less "what's that ?" and more "Is that a Surface?" recently.

Milchjon

Surface, anyone?

Los Angeles school officials are acknowledging a new looming cost in a $1-billion effort to provide iPads to every student: keyboards.

Officials so far have not budgeted that expense, but they said the wireless keyboards are recommended for students when they take new state standardized tests.

If keyboards were to be provided for all 650,000 students, the cost could be more than $38 million at current retail prices. It's not clear if the district plans to provide keyboards for all, and officials were not prepared to estimate the cost during a meeting last week of a Board of Education committee that is tracking the iPad initiative.

Board member Monica Ratliff, who chairs the panel, said the district needed to be transparent about such expenses.

"It's important that the public is told of any additional costs that the district can predict," she said later.

So far the district has committed to paying Apple $30 million to provide tablets at 47 schools. Over time, funding for all iPads will reach about $500 million. Another $500 million will be spent on items such as installing wireless Internet throughout the nation's second-largest school system.

This is so stupid. Why not equip them with something that might teach them actual computer literacy? Why not a device they could actually create something on? Program, draw, write, photoshop?

Not necessarily talking about a Surface, but I'm sure you could get decent laptops for the price of an iPad.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Surface, anyone?

This is so stupid. Why not equip them with something that might teach them actual computer literacy? Why not a device they could actually create something on? Program, draw, write, photoshop?

Not necessarily talking about a Surface, but I'm sure you could get decent laptops for the price of an iPad.

Dude, Angry Birds totally teaches physics and biology.

dem

They want tablets because of textbooks..
Textbook experience on a tablet is a lot nicer than on a laptop.

Computer literacy doesn't factor in at all. They aren't trying to teach computer literacy. Kids come to school (mostly) computer literate these days.

Milchjon

They want tablets because of textbooks..
Textbook experience on a tablet is a lot nicer than on a laptop.

Computer literacy doesn't factor in at all. They aren't trying to teach computer literacy. Kids come to school (mostly) computer literate these days.

A very superficial kind of computer literacy.

They have a point about the textbooks. Why not a cheaper device for those though? Nexus? Kindle? Why that much waste?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Nobody does digital textbooks quite like the iPad.

MS would be smart to focus heavily on an education initiative for the Surface 2. If there was a competent offering from Houghton-Mifflin, McGraw-Hill and Random House to produce content for the Surface 2, districts would stupid not to opt for it over the iPad...

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
If only RT2 had pen support I'd be all over it. I don't need a full fledged Pro2 as I've got a damn good desktop. For trips, portability, and school work the RT2 would have been perfect if it had a pen for diagrams and simple jotting/editing....

I just can't justify the giant price jump to the Pro/Pro2.

Zoe

MS would be smart to focus heavily on an education initiative for the Surface 2. If there was a competent offering from Houghton-Mifflin, McGraw-Hill and Random House to produce content for the Surface 2, districts would stupid not to opt for it over the iPad...

MS has already had a promotion where practically anyone could get a free RT.

Too many people in education have stars in their eyes for Apple, and once they have their minds set on something, it's hard to change that.

Are most eTextbooks not able to be found on the Kindle/Amazon marketplace? I can't imagine Apple has Amazon beat by much.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
MS has already had a promotion where practically anyone could get a free RT.

Too many people in education have stars in their eyes for Apple, and once they have their minds set on something, it's hard to change that.

What was that promotion and how come I've never heard about it?

Top Bottom