• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surgeons use PlayStation controller for long-distance endoscopy

Vick

Gold Member
Dude, they're using the dogshit Dualsense controllers with guaranteed stick drift.

They have to know they're prone to sever stick drift right?

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv
Stick drift is caused by dirt, I know after personally fixing more than 5 DualSense of friends and parents at this point.

Pretty hard for me to associate dust, hair, food residues, ash and tobacco fragments with a surgeon on duty.

FeralEcho

Stick drift is caused by dirt, I know after personally fixing more than 5 DualSense of friends and parents at this point.

Pretty hard for me to associate dust, hair, food residues, ash and tobacco fragments with a surgeon on duty.
That's fair,but it's still weird to me to use that one specifically when there are better alternatives. Hell the Dualshock 4 is so much better in my opinion and I never had an issue with stick drift on that one.

Even if dirt or dust are the issues on the Dualsense it still doesn't explain why it's only the Dualsense I have stick drift issues with though,for example my Dualshock 2 controller from 20 years ago works flawlessly still and I would reckon that gathered more dust in 20 years than a Dualsense in a measly 4 years(3 actually as I got my PS5 in 2021).

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
Home working for surgeons, not just for IT. Now they can operate people while in the bath and if they mess up they can just disconnect, cool.

Yikes. I'm a bit concerned about something as cheaply built being used (that goes for all of the current console controllers). Stick drift could lead to bad results.

Having an intuitive form factor with standardized inputs designed for manipulating objects in 3d space is really cool if you think about it.
Cool contribution to human advancement from consoles

Hopefully it was custom-built or at least modified for extra reliability. I wouldn't trust a stock controller

Pimpbaa

Should be using a controller with Hall effect sticks (instead of the cheap potentiometers they use in default controllers for consoles). Wouldn’t want to get stick drift in the middle of an operation.

Top Bottom