• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surgical operation game for NDS (from ATLUS)

neo2046

http://eg.nttpub.co.jp/news/20040805_08.html
Atlus has announced a surgical operation action game for NDS

20040805_08_02.jpg
20040805_08_01.jpg

it looks interesting :D

Prospero

"KADOUKEUSU surgical operation (tentative name)" is the game of the new genre "surgical operation action" realized in the input by "a pen touch" of "NINTENDO DS" which is one of the original functions, or the "voice input" by microphone equipment.

SOLD.

belgurdo

Banned
So it's "Operation," only now you can yell at computer doctors instead of botching the extractions yourself. Could be interesting

GET ME 100 OF ATOMIDATE 20 OF SUX GET X RAY DOWN HERE WITH A PORTABLE CHEST CBC LYTES DIP A URINE AND WHERE THE HELL IS CARTER!

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I was always a big fan of:

dmart_1799_184167052

This news excites me.

How will Voice Input work? You ask for a medical instrument, and a "nurse" gives it to you?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Theres a similar game for PS2 out in the Simple 2000 range (or one of those budget lines).
There was a game for Amiga with the exact same theme. I'm not sure how it would work on the PS2, but the game was kinda cool with the mouse, and for the obivous reason it should work even better with the stylys.

Are we talking about Life and Death? The most awesomest game ever that I could never play? I think my dad completed an appendectomy on it, once. I wasn't there to see it.

I really thought the ER game that Legacy Interactive showed at E3 was gonna be like that. But it's not. It's The Sims, in a hospital. this gaffer cried. bomb bomb

Prospero

I'm looking forward to riding the subway and hearing someone in a nearby seat with a DS in his hand yell out, "THIS MAN HAS A HURTED HEART!"

A cadeucus is the staff of Hermes/Mercury with the two entwined snakes and wings. It is an ancient symbol mistakenly associated with medicine because it is confused with the single snake entwined staff of Aesclepius (son of Apollo), the greatest surgeon in classical mythology, which is the correct symbol of medicine.

Izzy

Banned
Marconelly said:
There was a game for Amiga with the exact same theme. I'm not sure how it would work on the PS2, but the game was kinda cool with the mouse, and for the obivous reason it should work even better with the stylys.

Mindscape's Life & death. There was a sequel, too.

Vieo

I'm looking forward to riding the subway and hearing someone in a nearby seat with a DS in his hand yell out, "THIS MAN HAS A HURTED HEART!"

I ride the NY subways nearly every day, and believe me, you can already find guys yelling into their hands. =)

Bah, anyway, hopefully developers will continue to try crazy off the wall stuff with DS. If it has voice recognition, doesn't that mean something like PaRappa can be done except instead of pressing the buttons that get called out on the screen, you have to actually repeat what the grandmaster says into the mic? =P

Or how about a detective game where you have to interrogate suspects in the interrogation room. You choose what questions to ask them and you have to do it forcefully or you won't intimidate them. "I KNOW WHAT YOU DID! NOW TALK!!".

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Vieo said:
Or how about a detective game where you have to interrogate suspects in the interrogation room. You choose what questions to ask them and you have to do it forcefully or you won't intimidate them. "I KNOW WHAT YOU DID! NOW TALK!!".
Holy shit! That would be so cool! They could even kill two birds with one stone and make it an update to the Famicom Detective Club series!

Oh man...

belgurdo

Banned
Vieo said:

Nah; instead, make it about a mob strong man who tortures people for information. You can equip him with weapons and use the touch screen to deliver pain wherever you want to! (example, using a hammer and tapping the parts of the body you want broken, or using a chainsaw and using the stylus to cut intricate patterns that the stoolie won't forget if you let him live)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Life and Death
Yes, that was it.

There's also Atari ST version available - whch means I get o play it on the Pocket PC - with stylys! I don't remember it being that great, but it sure as hell was very novel.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
that's awesome. ds needs more games like this. for a system that's meant to be fresh and original, its overabundance of franchise titles gives me a HURTED HEART. that's not to say that you can't have an original game with mario or pac-man in it, but it's still distressing.

Chittagong

Gold Member
This has the potential to rock more than anything has rocked ever before. Multiplayer surgeries would be absolutely great.

Sold.

GDGF

Soothsayer
:lol I actually thought about this idea on one of those 'think of an innovative game that takes advantage of the NDS touchscreen' threads a while back on another board. Some people thought it was a good idea, some didn't. I got the last laugh I guess :)

Kon Tiki

Banned
Ya I just found this: http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/536/536233p1.html. :p

August 05, 2004 - One of Atlus' five DS games looks set to use Nintendo's portable system for a game experience unlike any other. The one mystery title in the lineup, Caduceus, was revealed today to be a game in which players use the system's stylus and microphone to perform surgery. The game's full name is Caduceus: Surgical Operation.

In Caduceus, players make use of the stylus to perform surgical incisions and to fight off parasites. The microphone is used for another form of interaction with patients, as players must urge patients on the brink of death.

Judging by the first screenshot of the game, released via Japanese website Game Site EG, Caduceus seems to be split into missions (hopefully ones that will feature proper English names in the final build). The screen shows a number of tools that are available to the player for performing the operation at hand.

You won't have to be a real doctor to play this game, of course. Atlus stresses that Caduceus is not a surgery simulation, nor does it attempt to realistically portray surgical operations. Beyond the surgery sequences, there's a story behind the game, which progresses as you clear operations.

Gamers in Japan will have to wait until early Spring 2005 to try Atlus' unique new game.

Wow, the mic too.

Matt

Wow, that is incredibly cool. Depending on how “realistic” and intricate it is (the more the better IMO, within reason,) this could be a great game.

Edit: Oh... well, could still be cool.

That use of the mic sounds neat, though, especially if you can kill a patient by whispering “You’re going to die, just give up, bitch” into the microphone.

P90

Quirky and cool. I'm buying it!

Try doing surgery with a joystick.

I wasn't sold on the NDS, but it sounds better and better.

P90

Diomedeskun said:
A cadeucus is the staff of Hermes/Mercury with the two entwined snakes and wings. It is an ancient symbol mistakenly associated with medicine because it is confused with the single snake entwined staff of Aesclepius (son of Apollo), the greatest surgeon in classical mythology, which is the correct symbol of medicine.

Someone knows their ancient Greek culture and medicine culture. Thumbs up.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I am completely sold on this game that and the ER RPG that's coming out.

My girlfriend is currently studying on a Nurse and this is one game that she actually got excited about (she's not big on portable gaming).

bobafett

Great idea. This a good example on how to use the DS features.

Atlus + 1.
DS + 10.

Japanese developers kick ass.

Top Bottom