• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Svetlana Alexievich wins Nobel Literature prize

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

Searched, found nothing

Announcing the prize in Stockholm, the chair of the Swedish Academy, Sara Danius, called her writing "a monument to courage and suffering in our time".

Alexievich, 67, is a political writer who has often been critical of her home country's government.

It has been half a century since a writer working primarily in non-fiction won the Nobel - and Alexievich is the first journalist to win the award.

Her best-known works in English translation include Voices From Chernobyl, an oral history of the 1986 nuclear catastrophe; and Boys In Zink, a collection of first-hand accounts from the Soviet-Afghan war.

"By means of her extraordinary method - a carefully composed collage of human voices - Alexievich deepens our comprehension of an entire era," the Swedish Academy said.

More here

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainme...ng&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

Lock if old

El Topo

Small bump so this is not forgotten.

I'm not too educated in the field of literature, so I admit that I had never heard of her before, but her work seems interesting (and unusual for the Nobel Prize for literature). Seems like a great choice, even though some might have preferred a different winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom