• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sweet Home NES, first playthrough

Variahunter

So I'm currently playing Sweet Home on NES, on the Analogue Pocket. I knew this game for a long time but never tried it despite wanting to.

1432798905-7192-jaquette-avant.jpg

44144.jpg

So the game follows a team of japanese people exploring an abandonned mansion trying to make a film based on the legend of Ichirō Mamiya, a famous artist who hid several frescoes within his mansion before disappearing. Of course, the mansion is filled with supernatural entities and they find themselves locked into it. As they delve deeper into the mansion, they uncover the dark secrets behind Mamiya’s disappearance and the true purpose of the frescoes.

This game is really great. It is hard to stop playing honestly, which I cannot say for a lot of modern games.

74256-sweet-home-nes-screenshot-progress-is-blocked-by-glass-shards.png
44145.jpg
44147.jpg

It is clunky in some way, mosty because games of this generation relied a lot on instruction manuals to explain their mechanics. So you may have to search internet in order to know how to pick up items and equip them (I certainly did) for exemple. And fuck that mallet. Nobody will figure this one out.

You have a team of 5 members with their own abilities. You can have a maximum of 3 members in your team following each others. One have a lighter, another a vacuum, another a key used to unlock some doors etc...

44151.jpg
44221.jpg
44217.jpg

It's a Resident Evil precursor, one of the first survival horror ever, on NES, but mixed with an RPG system and some Zelda inspiration because of the numerous items helping you to open new paths. The game has a great moody ambiance, good soundtrack, and some good light puzzles so far. Exploration is cool too. You have to think in advance about your next move, trying to bridge successfully a chasm with a plank of wood because of course they will break if too many members cross it...

The game isn't holding your hand, you'll have to try different items to find a solution to a problem by yourself.
You're often finding new weapons to equip, fighting monsters in a turn based battle system similar to Mother/Earthbound, and will spend a good amount of time trying to manage inventory space within your teams.

44157.jpg
44215.jpg
44218.jpg

I'd say I'm approaching the mid game, but honestly I don't really know how long this game is. I'm really having fun, and I'd recommend it to everybody.

Last edited:

Power Pro

I watched the movie that was produced alongside this game with subtitles on youtube a couple years ago. Don't know if it's still there. I liked it! Pretty creepy vibe and wish it was possible to get in better quality.

You can totally see some of the roots of this in Resident Evil.

I've read about it several times, never got around to it. I have to get the rom hack with English text now and finally play this, that OP made it look and sound so fucking tasty.

Also, here you go fellow nerds. I have a massive soft spot for Japanese Horror cinema so I instantly had to go find the best version. Apparently this is fully fan restored and it looks great:

Top Bottom