• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter |OT| Embrace Your Strategic Place In Space

SotSHeader.png

Sword of the Stars 2 is the full, stand-alone follow-up to the hit 4X franchise, Sword of the Stars. SotS2 will feature the six races from SotS1 and its expansions, as well as revealing the dark, running secret of the original series, the Suul’ka – an ancient race that is responsible for tampering with the Liir, Zuul, and other races in the SotS universe! Not limited to another entire new race and their unique drive technology, SotS2 will be a major step forward in the SotS approach to 4X gameplay, taking the easy-to-learn-hard-to-master philosophy set out in SotS1 and following that path to a new standard in space strategy games.

• Evolves beyond Sword of the Stars I into 6 playable factions, using the races familiar to gamers from the first series of the game, and introducing The Suul ‘ka as a new player for Galactic dominance!
  • Detailed star-systems with planetary orbits, moons, asteroid belts, and other space terrain!
  • All new MARS 2 graphics engine!
  • Leviathan class of giant ships, new Battlerider-class ships that carry Destroyer sized ships, new levels of ship details including ship sub-systems, allowing for new fleet strategy and tactics!
  • Exciting continuation of the technology tree, with the game starting in the Fusion era and moving beyond the Anti-matter era.

Break02.png

Platform: PC
Release Date: 28th October, 2011

Minimum requirements:

RAM: 2-GB RAM
Video: 512-MB DirectX 10
Display: 1024x768
HDD: 2-GB free space
CPU: Core2 Duo or equivalent
DX: February 2010 or newer (DX10)
Sound: Any Windows Vista compatible sound device, stereo speakers or head phones
Control: 2-button mouse and keyboard

Recommended:

RAM: 6-GB
Video: 1-GB DirectX 10/11
Display: 1650x1080 or greater
CPU: Intel i5 equivalent or better
Sound: Any Windows Vista compatible sound device, 5.1 speaker configuration for full effect
Control: 3-button mouse and keyboard

* Internet required for online play. LAN required for local multiplayer.
8 play multiplayer

What kind of game is Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter?

Sword of the Stars is a 4X strategy game, similar to Galactic Civilisations, Pax Imperia or Civilisation...

4X games are a genre of strategy video game in which players control an empire and "explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate." The term was first coined by Alan Emrich in his September 1993 preview of Master of Orion for Computer Gaming World. Since then, others have adopted the term to describe games of similar scope and design.

4X games are noted for their deep, complex gameplay. Emphasis is placed upon economic and technological development, as well as a range of non-military routes to supremacy. Games can take a long time to complete since the amount of micromanagement needed to sustain an empire scales as the empire grows...

(wikipedia)

Break03-1.png

Previews:

With an emphasis on streamlining combat and exploration (troop orders now take one command and turn), Lords of Winter walks a fine line between appeasing fans of the original while beautifying what's there for a new crowd. Kerberos is transparent about their efforts to broaden the 4X genre - if this demo is any indication, they could have the next Civilization V on their hands.
Even the political landscape has changed - each race now has several ideological factions that are attributed to certain play styles and decisions. When you deal with a another empire diplomatically, not only do you have to take into account their race and beliefs, but also what faction you're dealing with as well. This also opens up new gameplay avenues in terms of coups and civil wars.
That 3D space combat engine is meticulously detailed, with the ship models all taking specific damage to whatever area is actually being hit. This is a space combat game where use of space is actually essential. Rolling your ship to take fire from a flank that hasn’t already been battered by the enemy becomes an key move, for example. The UI is interesting here, too, because every ship has its own little readout bubble of stats around it. Zoom out and this becomes little more than how their shields are holding up, but zoom in and you get an exact breakdown of all aspects of how that ship is doing, plus you get to look at its beautiful super-structure being scarred by enemy lasers. It’s neat design.

Preview Videos/Trailers:

Gametrailers E3 Preview
GDC 2011 Interview
Sword of the Stars II Mars 2 Engine Showcase
E3 Trailer
Koch Trailer
Asteroid Belt Scale Showcase
GameReactor Interview

Reviews:

(forthcoming)

Break04.png

SotS204.png

SotS202.png

Break01.png

GAF, if you're looking for something a little deeper than being told you're Oscar Mike or want less in the way of slimy quips from some treasure-thieving rapscallion, take a goosey at Sword of the Stars 2: Lords of Winter. Not every triple A experience comes from a triple A production, and when the hammer clicks on an empty chamber and the thousandth goon has been taken out by, quote, a good guy, unquote...just know that above, millions of tons of tungsten churn through the heavens for YOU. For the glory, for science, for expansion and conquest. For the gentry as much as the dudebro. Don't be a dullard, do the right thing and embrace your strategic place in space.

Winnie the Pimp said:
how is it i've never heard of this franchise? hmmm

It's a quiet achiever. You can pick up the original and its expansion packs for a song, I'm sure. Very enjoyable game. Can't wait for this one!

How does the game play in comparison to Galactic Civ II? I'm looking for a strategy game that's a bit deeper than the Civ games if possible.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
How does the game play in comparison to Galactic Civ II? I'm looking for a strategy game that's a bit deeper than the Civ games if possible.

I'd say this would fit nicely between Civ and GalCivII, at least going by the original SotS and its expansions plus what the devs have stated they're adding/fixing/streamlining for the sequel. Maybe much closer to GalCiv now they've added things like race diplomacy that doesn't only involve race, but factions with a race...that sort of thing.

The fleet actions seem to be really quite good, too. Can't wait to mess about in the ship-to-ship combat. I always felt it was one of the weaker elements in the original game, but it looks terrific here.

Yeah, I dunno. I'd say there's a lot of meat on the bone, so to speak.

Derrick01

Banned
This looks pretty awesome but I'm just too broke to get this now. Love me some paradox games but I've fallen behind on buying some of them.

And holy shit at the recommended RAM. That's the first game I've seen that recommended 6gb, and that's all I have too :(

Derrick01 said:
This looks pretty awesome but I'm just too broke to get this now. Love me some paradox games but I've fallen behind on buying some of them.

And holy shit at the recommended RAM. That's the first game I've seen that recommended 6gb, and that's all I have too :(

I'm only on 4, but I reckon it'll be plenty. It'll be interesting to see how scalable the Mars 2 engine is...especially with all that ship detail and realtime damage effects etc.

EDIT: I'm not shocked in a "WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE DOING?!" way, more surprised that SotS didn't make a bigger ripple when it came out. Not a huge franchise, and the original was - allegedly - coded by six people. But yeah, jump aboard, people! :D

dionysus

Yaldog
I was thinking about making an OT for this game, I am glad I get to be lazy. SotS is one of my favorite 4X games, I even made a thread about it a while back.

I am also glad to see my favorite race, the Liir, seems to have gotten the most love in the sequel.

All the hints are that the first expansion will add some type of ground combat minigame (not RTS-like). I am very doubtful. They should stick to improving the fleet combat and strategy elements.

Edit. Who is offering preloads? I'd like to get it through gamersgate but I don't see any information on preloading.

epmode

I can't really explain why I never bothered with the previous games. Regardless, this looks neat.

The big question: Is the Z-axis actually tactically important or is it more like Sins of a Solar Empire? Because if it's true 3D combat, VERY INTERESTED.

In related news, I really, really, really miss Homeworld.

Isomac

Lostconfused said:
Good thing too, it would have been pretty shitty.
It would have been better than nothing :)

dionysus said:
Edit. Who is offering preloads? I'd like to get it through gamersgate but I don't see any information on preloading.
I don't think there has been any info about preloading.

Edit: Also the game requires Steam to be installed or updated. More info at the official forums:
http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=21517

Mindlog

I always liked SotS more than Sins. Not that I can be too picky as every 4x is precious. Here's hoping for a smooth release.

epmode said:
I can't really explain why I never bothered with the previous games. Regardless, this looks neat.

The big question: Is the Z-axis actually tactically important or is it more like Sins of a Solar Empire? Because if it's true 3D combat, VERY INTERESTED.

I am not sure about 2 but in Sword of the Stars 1 the real time combat part is mostly 2D. Extremely big explosions can throw you off the combat "plane" but move orders are on 2D (attack orders are in 3D since you can attack any part of the enemy).I might just missed the button combination to give 3D movement orders. The turn based strategy part is 100% 3D though.

I'm in the newcomer boat as well, this looks pretty great but I've never heard of the series. Definitely going to look into this, thanks for the OT.

Yep, the forums state Steam is only required for installation and updating - which I think means there's no problem playing it when Steam is placed in Offline mode. Not a huge deal, but some people were worried on those forums.

I'd certainly like an asynchronous mode, but I'll take any new SotS!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Word of warning:

The first Sword of the Stars was released in an absolutely terrible state. On top of that, the developers were complete assholes about any sort of criticism of the state the game was in, telling their customers that they were basically morons and "didn't understand" the game when the product was clearly not finished. It was almost a Derek Smart level of condescending assery.

So, I'd definitely wait for a few patches before picking this up.

FlyinJ said:
Word of warning:

The first Sword of the Stars was released in an absolutely terrible state. On top of that, the developers were complete assholes about any sort of criticism of the state the game was in, telling their customers that they were basically morons and "didn't understand" the game when the product was clearly not finished. It was almost a Derek Smart level of condescending assery.

Reading the first sentence I was about to reply asking if this was one of Derek Smart's games, but you answered that. Yowch.

FlyinJ said:
Word of warning:

HOW DARE YOU COME IN HERE AND...

No, fair warning, though. My only response to that might be that now that they've got a much bigger number of staff and are *gulp* are under the Paradox banner, things might be a little different. (Not that Paradox games come out in top shape a lot of the time either, heh heh)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hell yeah. SotS was a game I wanted to play but never got around to. I'm definitely in for Swords of the Stars 2.

(Even though Uncharted 3 hits on the 1st, I have a feeling I'll be playing a lot more SotS2)

I didn't see a retail version of the game for sale on Amazon. Am I nuts? I saw it on Paradox's own web shop.

Mindlog

epmode said:

The best hope for a new sophisticated 3D space combat game is, Nexus 2.

Emitan

Can't buy this until next year, but is it good for someone who considers themselves incredibly thick when it comes to strategy games? I enjoy Galactic Civilizations 2, but I really don't have much of a clue of what I'm doing and I have to play on a low difficulty level.

thetrin said:
Hell yeah. SotS was a game I wanted to play but never got around to. I'm definitely in for Swords of the Stars 2.

(Even though Uncharted 3 hits on the 1st, I have a feeling I'll be playing a lot more SotS2)

I didn't see a retail version of the game for sale on Amazon. Am I nuts? I saw it on Paradox's own web shop.

Yeah, it's not on US Amazon for some reason, but there are retail versions.

Paradox Store
Game UK
Play.com
Zavvi
German Amazon
UK Amazon

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Pylon_Trooper said:
Yeah, it's not on US Amazon for some reason, but there are retail versions.

Paradox Store
Game UK
Play.com
Zavvi
German Amazon
UK Amazon

Yeah, I saw that list on the Paradox site. Guess I'll have to order straight from them.

EDIT: Oh balls, the physical version is only shipping in November. Guess I'll have to get it on Steam and buy a physical version later.

thetrin said:
Yeah, I saw that list on the Paradox site. Guess I'll have to order straight from them.

EDIT: Oh balls, the physical version is only shipping in November. Guess I'll have to get it on Steam and buy a physical version later.

Ah well. Still, this weekend will be all about space empire building - delivered straight to your digital door.

thetrin

Pylon_Trooper said:
Ah well. Still, this weekend will be all about space empire building - delivered straight to your digital door.
Wouldn't have it any other way.

Joseph Merrick said:
this game is actually steam only? fucking rage. betrayalton

Oh Jo...yeah, I didn't think about that. Poor Merrick!

I should be doing hw said:
Superficially I'm getting a Sins-vibe from the game, is the gameplay any close to that at all or is it completely different.

Hmmm. If you can imagine turn-based Sins, it's a little bit similar...

seems like you don't even need offline mode in steam to run it though. just can run it without steam, but steam is required for updates. don't see the use of this type of steam requirement though, just go all in with steam then. people who like steam will not run the game from outside steam, pretty sure? I won't buy it now, so whatever. who will run the game without steam?

Joseph Merrick said:
seems like you don't even need offline mode in steam to run it though. just can run it without steam, but steam is required for updates. don't see the use of this type of steam requirement though, just go all in with steam then. people who like steam will not run the game from outside steam, pretty sure? I won't buy it now, so whatever. who will run the game without steam?

Hmmm. Let's hope, for your sake, that they release updates as downloadable patches outside of Steam.

DiscoJer

I should be doing hw said:
Sweet, might be right up my alley then. I can never keep up with RTS' anyway.

Well, it's not entirely turn based. It's a lot like the Total War series - turn based empire management, but real time battles

DiscoJer said:
Well, it's not entirely turn based. It's a lot like the Total War series - turn based empire management, but real time battles

Yeah, I should have mentioned that. Heh. I dunno, more of a turn-based guy, and at least in the original and the expansions, it was usually a case of auto battles where I could help it.

Although, looks much more tantalising this time around with the realtime battles.

ksimm

Ooooh may have to check this out, I was only looking at the new Sins of a Solar Empire a few days ago. Need to scratch that space itch.

Isomac

Kerperos said they made the choice to simplify the update process. Previously they needed to make multiple patches for different versions of the game. Now they just need to make one update. It's faster and easier for them. Also its easier to have same version on all the users. Previously some versions got updates later or users couldn't find the patches.

Some people have had problems with the offline mode, so I think that's one of the reasons game doesn't need Steam to play it.

I don't see the problem really since you don't even need to run Steam to run the game. It won't take any resources or anything. Hmm only issue I can think is if you want to run some older version of the game.

User at the official forum found screenshot of the fleet management screen. Here is the link to the topic.
http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=21714

Looks pretty good.

I saw that pic yesterday and fell in love even further!

Fs81C.jpg

Man, the fleet actions...great to have another 4X space strat on our hands. I've been busy with the updated Star Ruler up until now...this will fit the bill.

I imagine Gamersgate will have a bit of a discount on it during their sales as well, so keep your ear to the ground and eyes on the horizon, Corto!

Carcetti

Sword of the Stars is one of my favorite space games ever despite its flaws. Roll on the sequel... but where should I pre-order?

Also, for people who love space battles: first SoTS has some of the best space battles in games ever. There's so many ships, weapons and techs for people who love scifi literature.

Isomac

Carcetti said:
Sword of the Stars is one of my favorite space games ever despite its flaws. Roll on the sequel... but where should I pre-order?

Also, for people who love space battles: first SoTS has some of the best space battles in games ever. There's so many ships, weapons and techs for people who love scifi literature.

There is couple different pre-order bonuses.

I think Gamersgate and some other digital shops has this pack:
http://www.swordofthestars.com/LiirMorrigi

Steam has this:
http://www.swordofthestars.com/HiverTarka

Disc version has human pack but I don't think there is any pictures or info where you need to buy to get it. Also disc version seems to come out later than digital version.

I think you should still check out I didn't make any mistakes.

Edit: Actually there is this neat page at the official page too. Shows what DLC different stores have: http://www.swordofthestars.com/game-info/buy-the-game

I think you can buy the other DLC's later too if you want some.

Pylon_Trooper said:
I imagine Gamersgate will have a bit of a discount on it during their sales as well, so keep your ear to the ground and eyes on the horizon, Corto!

yeah, can't imagine this will stay full price for a long time with the steam requirement :-DD

seriously. look at the size of those threads on kerberos and paradox forums. lmao.

Top Bottom