• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two says too early for '05 ESPN game pricing

http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuo...tfh03849_2004-11-09_22-08-59_n09571490_newsml

Tue Nov 9, 2004 05:08 PM ET
LOS ANGELES, Nov 9 (Reuters) - Video game publisher Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. (TTWO.O: Quote, Profile, Research) believes its experiment with discounted sports games has been successful but it will not yet commit to a price for the games next year, Take-Two president Paul Eibeler said on Tuesday.

Take-Two, in partnership with Sega Sammy Holdings Inc. (6460.T: Quote, Profile, Research) , sells the "ESPN" sports games for $19.99. Until last year, those games were published by Sega alone and sold for around $40.

At that price, the Sega sports games were regularly outsold by competing titles from Electronic Arts Inc. (ERTS.O: Quote, Profile, Research) But this year, the gap narrowed as the ESPN games got equal ratings to the EA titles at a fraction of the price.

"Our long-term strategy includes a short-term value pricing to encourage consumers to try the ESPN games," Eibeler said at a Harris Nesbitt investment conference in New York.

EA slashed the prices of its sports titles Monday in a move to defend market share, one analysts saw as an admission the competition was tougher than expected.

But Eibeler refused to be drawn on whether Take-Two would charge a higher price for its sports games in 2005.

"We look at opportunities going forward, we'll make judgments or decisions as we move forward," he said.

DJPS2

Banned
Rut-roh. My instincts tell me not to expect to pay just $20 for ESPN games next year.

Of course... there'll be one less game, since hockey is dead.

joshschw

I'm guessing they'll keep the $19.99 prices one more year and raise them the following year for the nextgen consoles. they nearly outsold ea this year and they have to build a even larger fan base next year.

or maybe I just like it at $19.99 :p

I expect the to stay at $19.99. Intense competition with EA is probably the reason why Take2/Sega does not want to tip their hand so early. EA doesn't seem sure at all in how to handle the pricing. I wonder what NBA2k5 sold, it must've done very well for EA to try to stem the tide so early (along with NHL 2k5 destroying NHL 2005 in unit sales, like I originally suspected would happen).

Deku Tree

They don't want to tip their hand to EA until it's absolutely necessary.
Hard to see them raising the price before Next-Gen though.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I see the price going up to 30. Still cheaper than the 50 buck usual price, but gives you more of a chance to make a profit.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Raising the price makes no sense, though. They better put a metric shitload of content in next year's sports titles that was not in this year's for anyone to buy it at a higher price.

dskillzhtown said:
I see the price going up to 30. Still cheaper than the 50 buck usual price, but gives you more of a chance to make a profit.

Your view is similar to Michael Pachter's. The Wedbush Morgan analyst expected EA to lower the prices of its sports titles to $39.95 next year and T2 to increase the prices to $29.95. He also predicted EA to control 75% market share and T2 to own the remaining 25%. Both publishers would be solidly profitable at these levels.

Cloudy

Banned
I think they'll leave it at $20 one more year and raise it back to $50. The trick is to try to wait and see what EA's gonna do first.

If they come out and say $20 now, EA can just drop their prices too and kill that advantage with aggressive advertising...

BojTrek

Banned
No more sports games for me until X-Box 2 or PS3...

You all have probably read my posts, but I am done buying new games for this generation.

Unless I solve James Bond: Everything or Nothing, Max Payne II and Jedi Knights II... I can return all of them for a down-payment on Oddworld Stranger...

Beyond that, I am done with sports games until next-generation. I have TW:2005, ESPN NFL and NBA2K5 and NHL Hits Pro... I have all my sports needs...

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
It's already been said once in this thread, but to me it seems obvious that they're going to remain $20 next year. I personally think the days of $50 yearly sports updates are over. I think next gen we'll see them clock in at $30, and EA will most likely follow suit.

Top Bottom