• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Syphonia vs. Baten Kaitos vs. Star Ocean 3

cvxfreak

I've never heard of "Syphonia". Gameplay wise, I hear its ToS, then SO, then BK, although it's far too preferential in the end to draw comparisons.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wario64 said:
Music wise (judging by OSTs alone), Baiten Kaitos > SO3 > ToS

Disagree.

SO3 features FAR more variety than Baten Kaitos does. SO3's best songs are as good as those in BK, but there is simply MUCH more music in SO3.

Deku Tree

I haven't played any of them. But I'm looking forward to ToS the most because I love the idea of multiplayer action based combat.

My GF likes to watch me play RPGs and it'll be very cool to be able to get her involved in the combat parts of the game.

I haven't heard the SO3 OST, but I do have the Baten Kaitos OST and it is amazing. I'll be getting BK and ToS, but I'll skip SO3 because I simply don't give a shit.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Ask kiryogi, I believe his order was TOS>SO3>BK. He went very indepth as to why he thought this way. Breaking down AI, battle systems, story, etc.

explodet

Semjaza Azazel said:
ToS is best because it's coming out first. I need a new RPG already.
Here I was all ready to discuss the upcoming games, then I see this and couldn't help but agree.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Baiten Kaitos is the only one that Im really interested in.

I'll give TOS a try once I get back to Canada.

No PS2, so no Star Ocean 3 for me(Its on PS2, right??).

jarrod

Banned
Haven't played any of the three but going off trusted impressions and developer trackrecords...

SO3 = TOS >>> BK

Tamanon

Banned
I think he's implying that some of them are different genres.

FM4 isn't like TOS or SO3 at all! Strategy/RPG vs RPG!

Che

Banned
Is it me guys or this gen of consoles sucks as far as Jap RPGs are concerned? I've been waiting the same RPGs for two years and they're still not out yet.

Ulairi

Banned
I think the better question is: Which game is coming out first?

And ToS is due out first therefore TOS > SO3 > BK.

dark10x

Ulairi said:

Well that's kinda stupid. :p

Really though, SO3 comes out only 1 month after ToS while BK is probably hitting in 2005.

Che

Banned
Ulairi said:

I'm so desperate for a decent RPG that I'll have to agree with you.

jiggle

Che said:
Is it me guys or this gen of consoles sucks as far as Jap RPGs are concerned? I've been waiting the same RPGs for two years and they're still not out yet.

Not to me. Already we have Xenosaga; Final Fantasy X, X-2, XI; Dark Cloud 1, 2; Wild Arms 3; Breath of Fire V; Shadow Hearts; Okage; Suikoden III; Unlimited Saga; .hack 1-4; Arc the Lad; Jade Coccon 2; Legend of Legaia; Disgaea; La Pucelle; Front Mission 4; Kingdom Hearts; Dual Hearts; Ephermeral Fantasia(*ugh*); Forever Kingdom; Grandia II; Grandia Extreme; Tsugunai, all on the PS2.

And there's at least 2 more years left.
Just the rest of this year will bring us:
Growlanser Generation, Wild Arms Alter Code F, Shadow Hearts 2, Star Oceans 3, Full Metal Alchemist, Megaman Command Mission, Inu Yasha, Shin Megami Tensei III, Digital Devil Saga, and Phantasy Star Trilogy.

And for next year:
Front Mission Online, Fullmetal Alchemist, Kingdom Hearts 2, Final Fantasy XII, Phantom Brave, Sakura Taisen V ep I, Xenosaga II, Suikoden IV, a Tengai Makyou game, Dark Cloud 3, Dragon Quest VIII and Y's VI. No doubt more will get licensed(Dragon Quest V? Magna Carta? Shinning Tears? Shinning Soul Next? StellaDeus?Wild Arms Another Code F?)

Over at Gamecube, it'll be getting Tales of Symphonia, Baiten Kaitos, and Megaman Command Mission and Paper Mario 2, along with FF:CC. That will already have N64's situation beat. Who knows what'll be announced next, Tales of Legendia maybe?

That's more RPGs than I can ever hope to complete before the next gen starts. Don't remember ever facing such dilemma during 32-bit era:)

Che

Banned
jiggle said:
Not to me. Already we have Xenosaga; Final Fantasy X, X-2, XI; Dark Cloud 1, 2; Wild Arms 3; Breath of Fire V; Shadow Hearts; Okage; Suikoden III; Unlimited Saga; .hack 1-4; Arc the Lad; Jade Coccon 2; Legend of Legaia; Disgaea; La Pucelle; Front Mission 4; Kingdom Hearts; Dual Hearts; Ephermeral Fantasia(*ugh*); Forever Kingdom; Grandia II; Grandia Extreme; Tsugunai, all on the PS2.

And there's at least 2 more years left.
Just the rest of this year will bring us:
Growlanser Generation, Wild Arms Alter Code F, Shadow Hearts 2, Star Oceans 3, Full Metal Alchemist, Megaman Command Mission, Inu Yasha, Shin Megami Tensei III, Digital Devil Saga, and Phantasy Star Trilogy.

And for next year:
Front Mission Online, Fullmetal Alchemist, Kingdom Hearts 2, Final Fantasy XII, Phantom Brave, Sakura Taisen V ep I, Xenosaga II, Suikoden IV, a Tengai Makyou game, Dark Cloud 3, Dragon Quest VIII and Y's VI. No doubt more will get licensed(Dragon Quest V? Magna Carta? Shinning Tears? Shinning Soul Next? StellaDeus?Wild Arms Another Code F?)

Over at Gamecube, it'll be getting Tales of Symphonia, Baiten Kaitos, and Megaman Command Mission and Paper Mario 2, along with FF:CC. That will already have N64's situation beat. Who knows what'll be announced next, Tales of Legendia maybe?

That's more RPGs than I can ever hope to complete before the next gen starts. Don't remember ever facing such dilemma during 32-bit era:)

Finished FFX and hated it. Started FFX-2 and trully despised it. Grandia was OK. Xenosaga was way too cinematic for me. Wild Arms 3 was too boring and Breath of fire wasn't the RPG I loved from the previous games. As for the rest they're not my style. The only RPG I haven't played and don't know if it's good is Jade Cocoon.
I might seem picky but the previous gen I played, finished and loved 8 turn based RPGs (including DW VII which shouldn't count as one, cos it was a huge motherf***er), and didn't like just one (FFVIII).

I'm not questioning the quantity, I'm questioning the quality of this gen.

Ulairi

Banned
I think last generation had much better RPG. Square has really let me down this generation outside of Kingdom Hearts and that is a hybrid.

Xenosaga is my favourite RPG of this generation so far.

RPGs rock this year as far as I am concerned... the best aren't even out yet. The games named in this thread, Paper Mario 2, DDS, Phantom Brave, Shadow Hearts 2, SMT: DDS, SMT:N and probably a bunch I'm forgetting. I'm very happy with these, personally.

While the RPG situation is beginning to kick ass, its not quite up to par with last generation. I think have over 40 RPGs on the PSX, whereas I have close to 20 for the PS2. I blame high development costs. They could have easily just pumped out a few more 2D RPGs this gen.

Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:
Development costs are definitely the main cause of the reduced quantity of games, and will be even more of an issue next generation...

I think there has been a similar amount of RPG's released this gen. I just think people are more hesitant of them because last gen there were so many bad ones that got alot of hype and turned out to be bad after people had bought them. Just take the Saga games for example, alot of people ran out and bought them just because they were from Square, neither were that great. Now this time around not too many people ran out to grab Unlimited Saga.

I will buy them all :)
I have high expectations for Baten Kaitos because they try something new with the battle system. The BS of ToS will be more action-paced and I hope they improved a lot from SO2 to SO3 because the fights in SO2 were mediocre at best.

In terms of storyline I hope all of them are great and according to the OST's ToS has the weakest one.

GO

dark10x

BobbyRobby said:
While the RPG situation is beginning to kick ass, its not quite up to par with last generation. I think have over 40 RPGs on the PSX, whereas I have close to 20 for the PS2. I blame high development costs. They could have easily just pumped out a few more 2D RPGs this gen.

"Blame"?

I'd like to compare Final Fantasy VII to Warcraft II for a moment...

When War 2 was released, the RTS genre EXPLODED. There had been other RTS title prior to War 2, but nothing left quite the same impact. For the next few years, every company you could imagine was seemingly trying to get 1 or 10 RTS games out the door. You could open up a PC mag review section and find that 50% of the games being reviewed were generic "Warcraft clones".

Final Fantasy VII really kinda kicked off the RPG craze in the US (and certainly made the production of RPGs more enticing). There were a large number of Japanese only RPGs that never saw the light of day in the US, but after this success, it seemed possible that thye would have a chance. So, basically, a situation similar to that of the RTS genre occured and RPGs started to flood the market. Many of them were quality, but there were plenty of sub-par attempts at cloning FF7. Just as with War 2, it was not uncommon to see an RPG referred to as an "FF7 Clone".

Higher budgets certainly did have an impact, but I don't believe it is fair to suggest that is the ONLY reason. People are expecting higher quality titles and releasing generic RPG #16 just isn't going to cut it these days.

Top Bottom