• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen loses leg after teacher 'body slam,' lawyer says

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Teen loses leg after teacher 'body slam,' lawyer says

Montravious%20Thomas%20hospital_4297180_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

COLUMBUS, Ga. - A 13-year-old boy had to have his right leg amputated after a contractor at a Columbus, Georgia, school "body slammed" him repeatedly, an attorney for the boy's family said.

Montravious Thomas was injured in September after an employee at Edgewood Student Services Center "body slammed" him three times when Thomas tried to leave the classroom to call his mother, family attorney Renee Tucker told CNN Thursday.

Tucker says after the incident took place, officials at the school failed to provide Thomas with adequate medical care. At one point, school officials told the teenager an ambulance was on its way, but then told him he would have to ride the bus home and made him attempt to walk to the bus, the lawyer said.

When it was clear Thomas could not walk to the bus, Tucker said, the same contractor who disciplined him "threw him over the shoulder and carried him to the bus."

Thomas' mother took him to the emergency room that night and he was later airlifted to an Atlanta hospital, Tucker said.

School district cites safety issues

The Muscogee County School District says the contractor involved in the incident, Bryant Mosley, was a contract worker and is no longer providing services to the school district.

"Mr. Mosley is specifically trained in MindSet curriculum, a system of preventing and managing aggressive behavior, and Georgia restraint requirements. It is our understanding that there were issues concerning the safety of the child and others in the room, which called for the use of restraint per state guidance," the district said in a statement.

Edgewood Student Services Center is a school for students who have been temporarily removed from their current school because of behavioral problems or for breaking behavioral rules.

An attorney for the company employing Mosley -- Mentoring and Behavioral Sciences -- released a statement to CNN saying, "We are certainly very concerned for Montravious and our hearts go out to him. He and his family are in our thoughts as prayers."

The attorney, Robert Poydasheff Jr., said in the statement that he had advised the company "not to comment or speculate on the matter until we have completed our investigation.

"There is very little information to work from," Poydasheff added.

An attorney representing Mosley individually said he would not comment on the case.

Student was face-down on floor, attorney says

Tucker said at one point, Thomas was face-down on the floor, with Mosley's weight on top of him.

She said if Thomas had received adequate medical care shortly after the incident, his leg could possibly could have been saved. He's expected to remain at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston for at least 30 more days and he'll need extensive occupational and physical therapy in the coming months, Tucker said.

Doctors performed several surgeries to try to restore the blood flow to Thomas' right leg before having to perform the amputation, the attorney said.

Newt

It's really odd the article doesn't really mention the story behind the incident. What lead up to these events? What job did the contractor even have?

Yeah, body slamming is not an appropriate hold or restraint for behavioral issues. This sounds like some asshole meathead who let a kid get under his skin and violated every single method of non-violent intervention imaginable.

In Part I, we establish the "keys to success" in reducing and eliminating the need for restraint and seclusion. The training goes on to establish guiding principles for creating and maintaining a culture of prevention and culminates in learning specific communication strategies for instances of both oppositional/defiant behaviors as well as potentially aggressive behaviors.

It's really odd the article doesn't really mention the story behind the incident. What lead up to these events? What job did the contractor even have?

...this is not important. The kid tried to leave class, and the teacher physically harmed him and the entire school staff failed to take his injuries seriously or provide him with the necessary emergency care.

There are no excuses.

He's a hired body whose job is to non-violently restrain children when they becoming physically aggressive in the classroom. He was working at an alternative school.

Mr. Mosley is specifically trained in MindSet curriculum, a system of preventing and managing aggressive behavior, and Georgia restraint requirements.
Sure yup ok, looks like his training to "prevent and manage aggressive behavior" worked real fucking well

I'm tying to find a circumstances regarding this story where these details would be relevant.

Sol1dus

The first comment I read after the article made me realize how fucking dense some people are:

"He can thank his parents for not teaching him respect for adults and authority figures and not giving him proper home training on how to behave in school and in public!! He was already a bad kid, that's why he was at that school!!

Although his parents will win the ghetto lottery, and live high for a few years, it's to bad this wasn't a teaching moment, bad behaviors have bad consequences!! But no, it will be 100% on the school!!

If schools would make a parent come to school every day and sit next to their poorly raised child, they may decide to teach the child proper behaviors!!!!"

I guarantee it if his/her daughter ever did anything and got body-slammed they would be singing a different song.

Lord Fagan

Y'know, every time they go out of their way to say, "we shouldn't speculate until we complete the investigation." The rational part of me agrees, but the world-weary realist in me says that it's usually just code for, "unfortunately, this is only going to get uglier as more details come out."

GhostBed

...this is not important. The kid tried to leave class, and the teacher physically harmed him and the entire school staff failed to take his injuries seriously or provide him with the necessary emergency care.

There are no excuses.

This. There is no way these actions can be called justified. Excessive force is never okay, ESPECIALLY against children. Them refusing the poor kid medical attention and making him walk to the bus is unbelievably frustrating...Then when they see he can't walk, the dude who hurt him just whips him over his shoulder...Fuck everything about this. Straight child abuse.

Lawsuits aplenty.

I actually had to go through some training about 10 years ago when I worked at a school for juvenile delinquents and runaways. It was focused on restraint without harm, and you walked the kid to a padded room until they calm down while you checked on them every 5 minutes. This guy sounds like he was just being an aggressive bully.

Derwind

Yeah if that were my kid I would sue the ever loving Christ out of that school and the meathead who injured my child.

This is fucking criminal. This child has been irreversibly affected mentally and physically from this.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Jesus fuck.

That "contractor" needs a lengthy prison sentence for this. That family better be getting millions.

When it was clear Thomas could not walk to the bus, Tucker said, the same contractor who disciplined him "threw him over the shoulder and carried him to the bus."
Throw his ass in jail.

The first comment I read after the article made me realize how fucking dense some people are:

"He can thank his parents for not teaching him respect for adults and authority figures and not giving him proper home training on how to behave in school and in public!! He was already a bad kid, that's why he was at that school!!

Although his parents will win the ghetto lottery, and live high for a few years, it's to bad this wasn't a teaching moment, bad behaviors have bad consequences!! But no, it will be 100% on the school!!

If schools would make a parent come to school every day and sit next to their poorly raised child, they may decide to teach the child proper behaviors!!!!"

I guarantee it if his/her daughter ever did anything and got body-slammed they would be singing a different song.
Always with the multiple exclamation points.

Demoskinos

Lock this piece of shit up. He is obviously not fit to be teaching children if he can become a loose cannon that quickly.

Seesaw15

i can't. This is horrible. I would go on a rant about hiring qualified people but the whole school punishment system is so backwards and draconian. I don't care if he was in a "bad kid school" and he was interrupting class just don't touch kids

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Unfuckingbelievable
How is it that someone with such an awesome username has been around for 8 years and I'm only just now seeing it?

SeanC

Jesus Christ.

Close that school and clean fucking house and fire any person who was remotely involved or did/said nothing. Parents are likely petitioning to get their kids into a different district already, I wouldn't want my kid near that.

Please don't post internet shitbag comments here. The actual story is already infuriating enough.

Trying my hardest not to say how I really feel, as this is a good christian message board. I can't even believe I'm reading this.

Whats disgusting is the school had zero interest in providing care for the student. Their first and ONLY concern was insulating itself against any problems that sending a child to the ER from the school would cause.

And for that delay a child has lost his fucking leg. Because some improperly trained idiot lost their temper and bodyslammed a child....

And of course the comment section for that article has racist fucks going on about Black fathers...

Tapejara

Whats disgusting is the school had zero interest in providing care for the student. Their first and ONLY concern was insulating itself against any problems that sending a child to the ER from the school would cause.

And for that delay a child has lost his fucking leg. Because some improperly trained idiot lost their temper and bodyslammed a child....

And of course the comment section for that article has racist fucks going on about Black fathers...

Yeah, the school absolutely failed this student. It's infuriating that they could be so neglectful. Fuck them and fuck the contractor.

NandoGip

This is genuinely so fucking sad. I graduated from an "alternative" high school. They essentially sent very specific students to these schools. The violent ones, the ones that had to work full time, and kids who were in "programs".

The teachers don't give two fucks and act like the kids are their enemies. Granted, there are some that act up, but it's more the fault of the state not giving adequate care to teens with mental issues.

I hope this kid gets a shit load of money.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Shit, poor kid :(

In my hometown Columbus, GA too :/

I knew of Edgewood Elementary, but this seems like a secondary school, for kids that have had some sort of disciplinary problems at their "home school" and are temporarily sent to these alternate schools. This makes me feel worse, as it makes me think this lead to the delay of treatment. Just completely shameful.

BajiBoxer

Banned
This is insane. Charges should be filed against the contractor at minimum, and hopefully the family gets a huge payday too. Multiple people need to lose their jobs at least, and tthey need to investigate the school overall. I have a hard time believing this is just a freak occurance. I'd be surprised if there weren't multiple incidents before that which were not handled properly, but just didn't lead to such horrifying consequences.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Outside of self-defense, there's no reason to bodyslam a 13 year old at all, however the story is written in a confusing and vague way.

What kind of ridiculous assault had to have taken place for his leg to be fractured severely enough that it warrants amputation. Is that what happened? The article doesn't describe the type of injury his leg sustained. Regardless though it's clear that there's a whole lot of people that should be held accountable.

Red

What kind of ridiculous assault had to have taken place for his leg to be fractured severely enough that it warrants amputation. Is that what happened? The article doesn't describe the type of injury his leg sustained. Regardless though it's clear that there's a whole lot of people that should be held accountable.
It sounds like the teacher's weight cut off blood circulation long enough that the leg could not be saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom