• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants Unleashed Announced | Coming October

Draugoth

Gold Member

New trailer alert! Get ready for an awesome new adventure with your favourite heroes in a half shell! Teenage Mutants Ninja Turtles: Mutants Unleashed is gearing up to unleash an epic wave of action on PC and consoles on 18th October 2024!Embark on an pizza-fueled journey with Leonardo, Raphael, Donatello and Michelangelo to battle an all-new wave of havoc-wreaking mutants as you join forces with familiar faces in thrilling missions across the streets of NYC!​

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Grabbing this on Switch I think.

The movie was great.

(and before anyone complains about April, the original Mirage Studios April was based on Kevin Eastman's first wife...who was black).
She wasn't black, she was a permed nyer like many women at that time, But that doesn't matter April has been a redhead much longer than the initial underground comics. And more importantly they made her black for an agenda .. not to be accurate by any means.

Pic I tried post was posted below.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

The movie was great.

(and before anyone complains about April, the original Mirage Studios April was based on Kevin Eastman's first wife...who was black).

april-o-neil-in-the-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles_-mutant-mayhem-trailer.jpg
april-oneils-namesake-april-fisher-with-her-then-husband-v0-lhuntloe31j81.jpg

Nailed it!!

Something about their face and expressions makes them look really dumb... Maybe that's the point, I don't know.
If it was just Michelangelo, it would make sense...

Also the animations are a bit janky.

Either way, whatever...
I can only speak for myself, my issue has zero to do with her being black, and 100 to do with her godawful design.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think only a loud minority of people have an issue with her race.

She looks like every copy-pasted nerdy Tumblr girl.
Nothing about her design is appealing.
Is not cool, is not creative, and for people that want that sexual energy that the OG April had, she's not appealing in that way either.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member

The movie was great.

Hardly anyone cares about her being black. Her design, just like the turtles in that movie, is just garbage. Don't passive aggressively imply that race had any substantial factor in the negative reception of that film

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Something about their face and expressions makes them look really dumb... Maybe that's the point, I don't know.
If it was just Michelangelo, it would make sense...

Also the animations are a bit janky.

Either way, whatever...

I can only speak for myself, my issue has zero to do with her being black, and 100 to do with her godawful design.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think only a loud minority of people have an issue with her race.

She looks like every copy-pasted nerdy Tumblr girl.
Nothing about her design is appealing.
Is not cool, is not creative, and for people that want that sexual energy that the OG April had, she's not appealing in that way either.
Exactly. She was the hot reporter lady that the teenage boys had a crush on. Somebody clearly decided that was “not fit for modern audiences” so they made her into a dumpy black lady.

Trying to pretend like her design has anything to do with them trying to be “true to her original roots” is such a load of horse shit.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Exactly. She was the hot reporter lady that the teenage boys had a crush on. Somebody clearly decided that was “not fit for modern audiences” so they made her into a dumpy black lady.

Trying to pretend like her design has anything to do with them trying to be “true to her original roots” is such a load of horse shit.
That was my issue that I stated in the thread for that shitty movie. She wasn't black to begin with but if you're going to change it why make her so dumpy? She doesn't have to look like a perfect 10 but why make her a reddit mod?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Hardly anyone cares about her being black. Her design, just like the turtles in that movie, is just garbage. Don't passive aggressively imply that race had any substantial factor in the negative reception of that film

The Turtles designs were fine. And the movie got them being young right where they would talk over each other. Which is how a movie with kids like that is supposed to work (see The Goonies, and JJ Abrams got it right in Super 8 as well).

The only problem is that Mikey has braces when they were forbidden to go around humans. But that opens up a potentially hilarious episode of the cartoon where Donatello tries to give him braces.

Quasicat

As much as I really hated the movie, I will probably pick this up on a sale if not only because the gameplay looks pretty good. Some combat mixed with some platforming is something I would enjoy. Unlike previous Turtles games, this one is not day one for me which is sad.

nkarafo

Even if she was (which isn't the case but let's say for the sake of the argument that she was) when was the last time these people cared about characters being "lore accurate"?

Yeah, let's race swap every character that exists in fiction (and even history)... but when these happen to be black then, and only then, let's be accurate?

No my man, that April is just a forced DEI check box character, like all these characters are, don't try to make it look legit just because for some reason you liked the movie or the game.

Going for the 'Holocaust Survivor' look, I see.

Seriously though, how are they supposed to fight crime if they look malnourished.

Last edited:

BlackTron

The movie was great.

Do you have some sort of algorithmic crawler that sounds a beacon every time it detects an opportunity for one of these posts?

rubenburgt

I will complain about it because they did a raceswap to ginger.

I don't know why, but gingers are always the ones who gets raceswapped.

MJ in Spiderman.
Starfire in Titans
Ariel in the Little Mermaid
Wally West in The Flash

Like, c'mon. Why are gingers, always the ones who gets raceswapped? Also, why are characters never raceswapped to Asians?

And you know, whatever. It's a cartoon. But why did they had to turn April in a pudgy Tumblr girl? It's a poor execution of a raceswap simply to check some boxes.

And I don't like the design of the turtles, so I will not be playing this game.

RavageX

I don't see how race matters in a situation like this at all.

Situation being, my turtles have been ruined.

If we are going to talk about April, I only liked the 80s cartoon April....but liked Irma more. Mind you, I was but a young lad back then who watched the show every Saturday while messing with rabbit ears on the tv.

I liked the 2000 era turtles too. Everything after that can go straight in the trash. (Well, the TMNT animated movie wasn't bad) The live action shit, etc.

I haven't watched the latest movie because the animation makes me sick feeling.

Game play looks interesting, but will pass. Everything else is too much for me. I did enjoy Shredder's Revenge, but it still felt like it was missing something.

Last edited:
This? How is this not ruining the Turtles?

NICKELODEON_RISEOFTHETEENAGEMUTANTNINJATURTLES_125_HD_663128_1920x1080.jpg
He probably meant the CGI show with the PS3-looking models.

tmnt-raphael.gif

The screenshot you posted was from a show that had incredible animation combined with terrible writing. I agree about the recent movie being decently good, but I also know that once people's minds are set on something here, there's almost no hope in changing them (even with evidence).

Just consider it a good thing that you're more open minded about new media.

DryvBy

The movie was great.

Was he blind? Missed black both times.

I hate this low-frame rate style so much. I hate that it has become a thing for some reason.
The funny thing is, this movie is one of the better examples of it being done right. Check out the recent Guilty Gear anime trailer to see how a studio can miss the mark.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I truly believe 99% of the people in this thread didn’t even see the Seth Rogan TMNT.
bc60949a6784ef31e42cafc78f193afa66c64a04.gifv

046b0e75f6fea8eeacc8.gif

98ba64d00b413f4d69f692c8c30425c557adc9aa.gifv

02feaa7e6670d351b796195a96368dc0.gif
I own the movie.. I was excited and preordered it on iTunes.

It sucks more than anything has ever sucked... ever.

The jokes were not funny. The story sucked... They changed everything. The turtles voices are super lame. Wtf did they do to Donatello ??

It's funny that you wanted to try to defend April by saying " the original " when nothing about this movie is anywhere close to the original comic. 😵‍💫

Last edited:
Top Bottom