• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Theonik

HDMI 2.1 is pretty much what everyone had hoped it would be. Now let's see if Sony sticks it on their 2017 TVs. Hope it gets on nVidia's volta GPUs as well. Would make me upgrade my living room setup.

HLG is for broadcast TV content, so it'll have its own place for years to come. No idea about the other one though lol.
Both are intended for broadcast TV. Technicolor's offer on the table is to allow broadcasters and solution that is forwrds compatible with older display systems which could potentially save them money. HLG is a BBC/NHK thing if other broadcasters pick it up of it surviving very much depends.

Seriously? Have you seen 3D on a OLED TV? It's better than the cinema.
Yes, but bear in mind I DESPISE it on Cinema too. Dolby, and Real3D alike.

RIP best 3D. I guess this is part of how they got the TVs brighter
Not really a factor. 3D is an argument FOR brighter displays not against it.

DieH@rd

Banned
I wonder if MS will have the opportunity to apply the new HDMI spec and use adaptive sync in the Scorpio. I'd buy a Scorpio just for that.

Chances that Scorpio has a Radeon GPU that support HDMI 2.1 are very very very very slim. I would not expect it. It most likely has Polaris.

Theonik

Chances that Scorpio has a Radeon GPU that support HDMI 2.1 are very very very very slim. I would not expect it. It most likely has Polaris.
That's not really a limitation. Semi-custom designs can support whatever MS pleases. Not every TV will necessarily support this though and the ones that do might have varying implementations of it.
It is why AMD started the Freesync branding program for DP. (Freesync is just using DP adaptive sync so in theory would work for any display that cares to implement it but there is a LOT of engineering considerations to make such a thing work on the display side)

"The new specification will be available to all HDMI 2.0 Adopters and they will be notified when it is released early in Q2 2017."

Wait, so does this mean that some current tvs like the KS8000 or the E6 will just need new HDMI cables and a firmware update to take advantage of some of those 2.1 features? That's awesome if I'm understanding that correctly!

Dave_6

So will HDMI 2.1 be a hardware change or just firmware? I just bought a new Denon receiver 3 months ago that is 4K ready with HDCP 2.2 and all that. If it's going to be new hardware I may just hold off on a TV purchase, get my Kuro calibrated and wait till next year. Ugh, lol.

DieH@rd

Banned
"The new specification will be available to all HDMI 2.0 Adopters and they will be notified when it is released early in Q2 2017."

Wait, so does this mean that some current tvs like the KS8000 or the E6 will just need new HDMI cables and a firmware update to take advantage of some of those 2.1 features? That's awesome if I'm understanding that correctly!

Since this is a news written directly by HDMI association, "Adopters" most likely means companies that licenced HDMI 2.0, and not "customers who purchased HDMI 2.0 TVs".

Theonik

So will HDMI 2.1 be a hardware change or just firmware? I just bought a new Denon receiver 3 months ago that is 4K ready with HDCP 2.2 and all that. If it's going to be new hardware I may just hold off on a TV purchase, get my Kuro calibrated and wait till next year. Ugh, lol.
It's a higher clock link so new hardware will be needed in most cases. Also a new cable might also be needed but that depends on the if the cable you have now can reliably sync at this new higher rate.

e:
The polarizer necessary for 3D dims the image somewhat. The B6 was brighter than the others because of this.
Polariser in front of the TV is not really a major factor unless you are in 3D where you need much higher brightness to handle 3D.
If LG wanted to continue to sell 3D they could just as well. 2017 sets should be better equipped to hand it. The problem is the tech is dead.
Hell LG only supported it in ONE OLED set, it's hard for them to handle it and consumers don't care.
Sony only offers it in the ZD9. It's not great either.

kagete

I have a feeling that the LG B6/C6/E6 series will be this generation's longevity champ like the Panasonic Plasmas or Intel's i5-2500k's. If upgrades remain incremental like this while the differing standards are being worked out there really won't be a big push to upgrade yet.

NYR

Here is a pic of LG's new B/C/E/G7 lineup. They look fairly identical to the 2016 models except they ditched curved models in the C7 and no 3D in any model.

B7: crescent stand, "blade slim" look
C7: premium aluminum stand and bezel
E7: picture-on-glass design with integrated sound bar
G7: picture-on-glass design with foldable integrated sound bar

2i5WlG8.png

Kaako

Felium Defensor

holygeesus

Banned
The Panasonic sounds more impressive to me thus far, as at least they went to pains to address some of the issues with current LG sets, such as processing and near black performance. LG mentioned no improvements in such areas, but I guess it wouldn't serve them well to address issues in the range they are still currently selling.

Vlaphor

I'm at this weird spot with my current setup and my PS4, namely with FF XV. I can run it in game mode and have it be lag free...or I can run it in Dynamic mode and make it look so much more vibrant and alive, with a little bit of noticeable lag. I find myself switching between the two often, and I can't decide which I like better. Oh well. Running on a Samung JU 6500

BumRush

I never thought I'd say this, but I might wait for 2018 panels unless 2.1 is supported in these displays.

Incremental updates are one thing but to pay $4000 and JUST miss out on (what seems like) a major HDMI change would feel bad.

Theonik

The Panasonic sounds more impressive to me thus far, as at least they went to pains to address some of the issues with current LG sets, such as processing and near black performance. LG mentioned no improvements in such areas, but I guess it wouldn't serve them well to address issues in the range they are still currently selling.
LG's current success is built entirely on their WRBG OLED panels which are based on patents they acquired from Kodak. They never had a really strong TV division and their software and processing resources are notably lacking. They need to hire big time if they wish to compete with companies like Panasonic and Sony that have had literally more than a decade in this game. Even their second biggest asset, WebOS they bought from HP.

I thought dynamic metadata was supposed to be supported in even some 2016 TVs?
Just speculation.
2.1 will need a hardware upgrade.

But if LG's TVs have dynamic metadata, and aren't 2.1.... who knows.
2.1 is a hardware update for most cases unless your HDMI chip can handle the higher clock, but not all technology in 2.1 relies on the 48gbps clock. That is to say that LG or Samsung might be able to work a frankenstein solution on some of their panels though that's by no means guaranteed. In the same way some sets got retroactive HDR support.

Heel

Any chance HDMI 2.1 makes it into 2017 displays? Dynamic metadata for HDR is a big deal for me.

I thought dynamic metadata was supposed to be supported in even some 2016 TVs?

Just speculation.
2.1 will need a hardware upgrade.

But if LG's TVs have dynamic metadata, and aren't 2.1.... who knows.

Could be a partial implementation of the spec?

2.1 is a hardware update for most cases unless your HDMI chip can handle the higher clock, but not all technology in 2.1 relies on the 48gbps clock. That is to say that LG or Samsung might be able to work a frankenstein solution on some of their panels though that's by no means guaranteed. In the same way some sets got retroactive HDR support.

http://www.cepro.com/article/new_hdmi_2_1_specification_supports_8k60hz_with_hdr_4k120hz

The new specification, which is formally being announced at CES 2017, will be available to all HDMI 2.0 Adopters and they will be notified when it is released early in Q2 2017.

“We have no clear understanding of when products will be out. Many of the HDMI Forum members have an early look at the spec so they may be working on products already,” says Pasqualino. “There will be a requirement for active cables after a certain length. I do not expect to see significant growth in the footprint of the cable. Connectors will be the same.”

A compliance test is being developed. It is underway now but it will take about months to write it, says Pasqualino. Prior to the release of the compliance test, it will be up to the individual companies themselves to test their equipment to the spec.

Tobias adds, "How an individual piece of equipment will meet the 2.1 standard will depend on the manufacturer and the features. Some manufacturers may be able to achieve 2.1 compliance with just a firmware upgrade; others will require new hardware," he says.

So, like...maybe kinda.

I hope they can at least add dynamic metadata, or Samsung releases a new 2.1 Smart Hub.

Guy.brush

Just noticed that my
Samsung HT-C6930W bluray player is not playing Blurays anymore.
Some DVDs are still read but overall it seems to be dying. Pretty shitty as this thing basically got no usage whatsover on the disc side of things.
http://www.samsung.com/de/consumer/tv-av/audio-video/home-entertainment-system/HT-C6930W/EDC

So I am looking at newer receivers.
Want:
Good codec support that also means .h265 HEVC support. Fast. Reliable even when used as a music CD player. Easy to set up audio lip sync.
Latest HDMI support.

Was looking at
2016 Samsung UBD-K8500 (curvy wtf)
or the
2015 Samsung BD-J7500 but that has no HEVC support.
There is an UBD-M8500 coming in January but I dunno if I really need that with all its gimmicks.

If I buy a modern 4k or 3d bluray player with HDMI 2.0b or 2.1. Will that still work with my old HDMI 1.4 TV?

muu

Have a hard time thinking any company will go through the pains of providing 2.1 support for existing hardware. Why do that when you can make it the selling point of next year's TVs?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The new specification, which is formally being announced at CES 2017, will be available to all HDMI 2.0 Adopters and they will be notified when it is released early in Q2 2017.

That adopters thing definitely means companies. They should have worded that better. They definitely aren't notifying customers.

Heel

That adopters thing definitely means companies. They should have worded that better. They definitely aren't notifying customers.

Yeah, they haven't even finished a compliance test for the spec.

But on the subject, hasn't Samsung already committed to a firmware update for dynamic metadata on their 2016 line-up? I could've swore I read that somewhere.

Dave_6

I never thought I'd say this, but I might wait for 2018 panels unless 2.1 is supported in these displays.

Incremental updates are one thing but to pay $4000 and JUST miss out on (what seems like) a major HDMI change would feel bad.

This. I was excited to see what the 2017 OLEDs were going to offer, but seeing that 2.1 is around the corner and it will require hardware changes, I can't spend $4K on a new display that won't support it.

I can say that if I see a 65" E6 at a crazy low price, I will buy it. :p

holygeesus

Banned
LG's current success is built entirely on their WRBG OLED panels which are based on patents they acquired from Kodak. They never had a really strong TV division and their software and processing resources are notably lacking. They need to hire big time if they wish to compete with companies like Panasonic and Sony that have had literally more than a decade in this game. Even their second biggest asset, WebOS they bought from HP.

Word I am hearing, is that the Panasonic will be priced to compete with the equivalent 65" LG OLED 2017 flagship set (G7?), which will make it a no-brainer surely? Can't wait to hear news from Sony now.

A shame that Panny didn't go for a more consumer friendly 55" option though. I hope Sony don't go for 65" minimum like they did with the ZD9.

So... TVs look identical and only 25% improvement in peak brightness? :|

Was hoping for more than that.

How about those Sammy QLEDs?

Sammy has a presentation in a few hours.

Nice.

Obviously I don't expect those TVs to be better than OLED TVs, but if the pricing is right they might have great products to compete :)

Edit: does Sony have a presentation too? I remember reading about their OLEDs too.

BumRush

Nice.

Obviously I don't expect those TVs to be better than OLED TVs, but if the pricing is right they might have great products to compete :)

Edit: does Sony have a presentation too? I remember reading about their OLEDs too.

I added the times of each presentation to the OP.

Smokey

I wanted to get OLED or some other top end set this year, but there's no way I'm paying a premium price for a set in 2017 that is omitting HDMI 2.1

Heel

Nice.

Samsung at 2pm Pacific, Sony at 5pm Pacific.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Okay, now that we know that LG's 2017 OLEDs won't support 3D, when would be the best time to buy a C6/E6? How long until best balance between drop in price vs waiting for it to go lower?

Kaako

Felium Defensor

I wanted to get OLED or some other top end set this year, but there's no way I'm paying a premium price for a set in 2017 that is omitting HDMI 2.1
Sadly, this is where I'm at right now as well. The wait is gonna be a pain in the ass for me.

I'm going to buy a TV this year and move it to the loft when I buy a newer, sexier HDMI 2.1 TV next year. 👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾

Top Bottom