• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Chitown B

I'm having an internal struggle with buying an OLED now or waiting until 2018 or beyond. Apparently LG is on a two year development cycle where they make major developments year one, refinements year 2, then repeat. We're due for major developments...

which also means we're due for major issues with new tech. or you could grab the current refined sets which are really good.

you can keep waiting or jump in. there will always be something better.

HDR gaming is so weird. I'll be honest, I haven't seen something that just FLOORS me with HDR games yet.

What systems? If PS4, my first gotos are Rachet and Horizon Zero Dawn.
I think Forza was getting a good response to its HDR on Xbox, like Pagusas said.

BTW, with that OLED you should watch John Wick 2's 4K Blu-ray if you haven't already.

What systems? If PS4, my first gotos are Rachet and Horizon Zero Dawn.
I think Forza was getting a good response to its HDR on Xbox, like Pagusas said.

BTW, with that OLED you should watch John Wick 2's 4K Blu-ray if you haven't already.

I've got all the consoles, I prefer using the PS4 or my PC hooked up to my TV though.

Going from Destiny 2 with HDR, to without, to with - I think the image looks better and more vibrant without. Sure, you get banding, but the colors are brightness just pop.

When I first started Destiny 2 I switched the input label/icon to PC for HDR, so I could get the lower input lag + higher brightness, but immediatly noticed banding, especially with the stunning skyboxes Bungie has. Switched it to the game icon, and banding is gone but colors are dull. At least in game mode. Obviously, standard mode looks great. But LG's HDR game mode is pretty underwhelming.

I'm starting to think I'd rather play in SDR game than HDR game. I'm probably alone on this.

I've got all the consoles, I prefer using the PS4 or my PC hooked up to my TV though.

Going from Destiny 2 with HDR, to without, to with - I think the image looks better and more vibrant without. Sure, you get banding, but the colors are brightness just pop.

When I first started Destiny 2 I switched the input label/icon to PC for HDR, so I could get the lower input lag + higher brightness, but immediatly noticed banding, especially with the stunning skyboxes Bungie has. Switched it to the game icon, and banding is gone but colors are dull. At least in game mode. Obviously, standard mode looks great. But LG's HDR game mode is pretty underwhelming.

I'm starting to think I'd rather play in SDR game than HDR game. I'm probably alone on this.

Okay, two of my favs for trying HDR on PS4 are Rachet or HZD so if you have either or eventually do I'd definitely give those a try next before taking a break on trying out HDR. Or the new Uncharted. I think these three look gorgeous with the upgrades and HDR, and Rachet's been easily one of my gotos since it first got its Pro patch and HDR. New games will likely also continue to improve on the implementations so if nothing hits you yet I'd still recommend trying it out with new games you get.

On the brightness it is true that if you read back in the thread it was mentioned a lot that with the current firmware LG reportedly dropped the brightness specifically in game mode HDR compared to some other modes so if it's just brightness that's making it less impressive for you then I don't know if there's much you can do in that particular mode aside from trying to downgrade your FW somehow, like I think some tried to do. It was commonly reported here in this thread as an issue LG introduced a couple of updates ago and their response seemed to be that it was intended and not a mistake at least last I saw still so it's unknown if they'll ever change it. I thought most still liked it overall though, even if certainly somewhat disappointed in the loss of some brightness in the mode.

Mrbob

Have you used Technicolor SDR picture mode in PC setting? I'm finding it great for non HDR content gaming. In fact I've had the same thought as you with Nex Machina. The game in Technicolor SDR mode looks way better than HDR Game. I really hope PC HDR gets fixed, I'd love to try out Technicolor HDR mode with proper usage.

I'm having an internal struggle with buying an OLED now or waiting until 2018 or beyond. Apparently LG is on a two year development cycle where they make major developments year one, refinements year 2, then repeat. We're due for major developments...

I think LG dropped this for just yearly improvements. The big jump in 2018 is going to be some sort of HDMI 2.1 implementation would be my guess, alongside general panel improvements.

Haint

Don't use PC label for HDR, the color gamut is bugged and all the picture modes are dim aside from the horribly inaccurate Standard and Vivid (can't comment on Technicolor as I haven't received the update) . Until (or if) they fix the firmware, HDR is best played with a Non-PC label in Game Mode. It's brighter than the PC label HDR modes (excepting Vivid and Standard). I generally agree with you though, HDR is not a quantum leap for a lot of games. Some games and some scenes can look really good though.

So...
Maybe it's time for me to buy a new tv set.

My question is simple:

A Sony XE90 now, a Oled LG B7 in december or a tv with HDMI 2.1 in 2018?
IIRC HDMI 2.1 will also require new hardware, which means the PS4pro won't support it. Even the X is a bit unclear as from what I've heard. So I'm not sure it's worth waiting for that. HDMI 2.1 won't really be an issue before the next generation of consoles hits. That said, I'd go with the B7.

Chitown B

does Destiny 2 even support HDR yet? I haven't found a link that says it does. It was "coming"

does Destiny 2 even support HDR yet? I haven't found a link that says it does. It was "coming"

I can only speak to the PC version. It sure does. It's an option in the settings.

I'll give some other HDR games a fair shake this weekend, and see how I feel. In all honestly I haven't really spent much time with HDR games since I got my C7 in June. There haven't been any that interested me, or that I hadn't played yet.

And I was secretly hoping for a firmware fix for the HDR game mode. I still don't understand why it gets so dim by default.

”In an effort to remain at the forefront of the industry, all sixty-four matches will be produced in Ultra High Definition with High Dynamic Range for the first time ever. Thanks to a hybrid UHD/HDR/1080p setup multiple choice of video formats will be available (1080i, 1080p or UHD HDR) at the back of one single production chain,” said FIFA.

Every match will be covered by 8 cameras with 4K HDR and 8 cameras with 1080p HDR. In addition, 8 super-slow-motion and 2 ultra-motion cameras as well as 1 cable-cam and 1 cineflex heli-cam will ensure that the action is available from every angle, the organizer said.

FIFA added that audio will be recorded in an immersive audio format, which typically refers to Dolby Atmos or DTS:X. Some games will also be made available to experience in virtual reality and 360-degree video.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1508999892

Amazing stuff.

Em3112

Neo Member
So...
Maybe it's time for me to buy a new tv set.

My question is simple:

A Sony XE90 now, a Oled LG B7 in december or a tv with HDMI 2.1 in 2018?

I had the same thing this week.

Got a good deal for the XE90 from an online store.. Was about to confirm and then I walked in to a electronic store and there was the XE90 next to an OLED. The difference in imagequality was big enough for me to decline the offer for the XE90.

I have decided to wait. First I am going to wait to CES 2018 to see all the new products and plan from there.

Chitown B

I can only speak to the PC version. It sure does. It's an option in the settings.

I'll give some other HDR games a fair shake this weekend, and see how I feel. In all honestly I haven't really spent much time with HDR games since I got my C7 in June. There haven't been any that interested me, or that I hadn't played yet.

And I was secretly hoping for a firmware fix for the HDR game mode. I still don't understand why it gets so dim by default.

nice. didn't that just come out like 2 days ago? I can't remember.

I think LG dropped this for just yearly improvements. The big jump in 2018 is going to be some sort of HDMI 2.1 implementation would be my guess, alongside general panel improvements.
Yeah, I'd feel lik a gigantic asshole if they implemented 2.1 with freesync. But who knows if they will or if the implementation will even support free sync right away?

Mrbob

Yeah, I'd feel lik a gigantic asshole if they implemented 2.1 with freesync. But who knows if they will or if the implementation will even support free sync right away?
Its hard to say. I've been reading some posts on avsforum from people smarter than me on the topic and it seems adding vrr isn't a trivial task. The way tvs process images have to be completely changed so adding vrr might not be something that can be done properly in one yearly cycle. Beyond this we need devices that can drive vrr. Xbox one X will be one such device but it's limited to 4k60.

Its hard to say. I've been reading some posts on avsforum from people smarter than me on the topic and it seems adding vrr isn't a trivial task. The way tvs process images have to be completely changed so adding vrr might not be something that can be done properly in one yearly cycle. Beyond this we need devices that can drive vrr. Xbox one X will be one such device but it's limited to 4k60.
I was getting the same impression too. Maybe it's just time to live life and get a OLED

Stanng243

So my friends are looking for a 43 inch 4k HDR tv. It'as not their primary tv, so they're looking for cheap over high end. As I'm still rocking a 10 year old 1080p tv, I can't give them much guidance. Are any of the budget brands better than others? Thank you for any advice you can provide.

spwolf

So my friends are looking for a 43 inch 4k HDR tv. It'as not their primary tv, so they're looking for cheap over high end. As I'm still rocking a 10 year old 1080p tv, I can't give them much guidance. Are any of the budget brands better than others? Thank you for any advice you can provide.

how far away are they going to be watching it? Unless it is going to be a monitor, it makes no sense to buy 43" 4K tv

Is 9 feet viewing distance good for a 4k OLED? I used a calculator on a site and it said 9 feet (my current viewing distance) but doesn't really differentiate between 1080p or 4k.

julrik

Is 9 feet viewing distance good for a 4k OLED? I used a calculator on a site and it said 9 feet (my current viewing distance) but doesn't really differentiate between 1080p or 4k.
IMG_0460-7nJ14HUy.1509134541.PNG

The thing to remember is that chart is only accounting for how well the eyes can see 4k detail. And i still think regardless of detail, a 4k tv is still going to have noticeably better sharpness/contrast even without perceiving the finer details at a distance. HDR on the other hand is something that is definitely noticeable from further distances and is really the main thing you should be buying a 4k tv for in my opinion. TV brightness, local dimming, and wider color gamut go beyond those recommended chart distances. And most people, regardless of home size, are never going to be closer than 9 feet from a tv when watching a movie unless they scoot their couch/chair up extra close. The only exception would be for gamers and super duper movie/tv enthusiasts. 75+ inch tvs are not going to be affordable for most people. That being said, im watching bestbuy closely to see if they lower the M75 Vizio any more than it already is. Looks to be THE budget 75" inch tv for the price this year.

nelo_inc

So with a change in my life, i will be leaving my parents home to a new house and will need to buy 3 TV's for it.
My budget is 5000€ and there is a deal going on this weekend in Portugal, i need some help from you guys:

- I'm thinking about buying an LG OLED55B7V for the living room for mixed usage, (don't feel like risking dedicate this TV to hardcore gaming with fear of IR or burn in, that's why i will choose 55 over 65"); Price 2000€

- For my gaming room i will go with the SONY XBR65XE9305 (even if it has high input lag for 1080p content) because i don't want to risk getting IR or burn in like in the OLED's and it's the best for HDR with the brighter screen;Price: 2600€

- The third TV will just be a regular 32" that will come free with the purchase of the LG B7.

I will buy the XOne X, have a GTX 1070, so i'm planning on taking advantage of 4K and HDR.

I would like to see opinions on both of these TV's from you if possible,thanks.

Jigolo

So with a change in my life, i will be leaving my parents home to a new house and will need to buy 3 TV's for it.
My budget is 5000€ and there is a deal going on this weekend in Portugal, i need some help from you guys:

- I'm thinking about buying an LG OLED55B7V for the living room for mixed usage, (don't feel like risking dedicate this TV to hardcore gaming with fear of IR or burn in, that's why i will choose 55 over 65"); Price 2000€

- For my gaming room i will go with the SONY XBR65XE9305 (even if it has high input lag for 1080p content) because i don't want to risk getting IR or burn in like in the OLED's and it's the best for HDR with the brighter screen;Price: 2600€

- The third TV will just be a regular 32" that will come free with the purchase of the LG B7.

I will buy the XOne X, have a GTX 1070, so i'm planning on taking advantage of 4K and HDR.

I would like to see opinions on both of these TV's from you if possible,thanks.
Both TVs are fantastic.

Ashhong

Why the hell do these Netflix shows not utilize perfect blacks? First mindhunter now stranger things too. It feels like I’m watching on an LCD. Is it like that for anyone else?

holygeesus

Banned
Why the hell do these Netflix shows not utilize perfect blacks? First mindhunter now stranger things too. It feels like I’m watching on an LCD. Is it like that for anyone else?

Watching in Dolby Vision here on my B6 and yup even the black bars at the top and bottom are grey. As you say, Mindhunter was exactly the same. At this point, I blame LG rather than Netflix though.

Ashhong

Watching in Dolby Vision here on my B6 and yup even the black bars at the top and bottom are grey. As you say, Mindhunter was exactly the same. At this point, I blame LG rather than Netflix though.

Wait it’s in DV? Damn I should really upgrade my Netflix.....

The black bars are black for me 75% of the time. I don’t think it’s Lg though..

vpance

It's not just Netflix, that's just the aesthetic of a lot of movies these days. Sometimes it works sometimes not.

Some UHDs also have a higher black level than the Bluray version. It's nutty.

Bustanen

Looks good to me. Try watching Daredevil instead, it's so dark in DV that you hardly see anything.

Mrbob

Wait it’s in DV? Damn I should really upgrade my Netflix.....

The black bars are black for me 75% of the time. I don’t think it’s Lg though..
There is a decent amount of Dolby vision content right now in the streaming world. Netflix has a deal in place with Dolby for Dolby Vision and Atmos. Every HDR movie at Vudu is Dolby vision.

https://www.vudu.com/movies/Movies_mobile.html#featured/12434

Dolby Vision is a fairly dominant form of HDR at streaming sites. If you have a LG oled, which it sounds like you do, you should be using the TV's built in apps to get Dolby vision output for sites like Netflix. Any movie or show with Dolby vision support will have a Vision logo.

OLED is the only answer unless one really can't afford it. In that case, wait until it is affordable. OLED is such a drastic improvement over LCD I can't go back.
Since Holiday 2017 is coming up, is there maybe a top 10 list of OLEDs that GAFers approve of? For gaming and shows/blu rays.

There are so many damn TVs and opinions out there it makes my head spin. Once the deals start coming in November, I want to be prepared as well as confident I won't be having buyers remorse later :)

So Newegg had the LG 55B7A at around 1549 and I got it. They have the 65 at 2190 I think.

Has anyone had any luck with Chase and PP on Joe's AV?

Bustanen

Since Holiday 2017 is coming up, is there maybe a top 10 list of OLEDs that GAFers approve of? For gaming and shows/blu rays.

There are so many damn TVs and opinions out there it makes my head spin. Once the deals start coming in November, I want to be prepared as well as confident I won't be having buyers remorse later :)
LG B,C,E,G7 > Sony A1E > LG B,C,E,G6

There's some others but don't know if they're any good.

So Newegg had the LG 55B7A at around 1549 and I got it. They have the 65 at 2190 I think.

2149 for the 65B7A. Pretty solid price, you can use a site called Top Cashback for 2% cashback so that'd be a little over 40 bucks back. I'm very tempted

It's quite easy for OLED. They all have the same panels. For LG brand they will all have the same picture quality regardless of model. Your paying for sound upgrades and aethsetics. Sony has LG panel with Sony processing. Not with the price difference if you are gaming.

Ashhong

There is a decent amount of Dolby vision content right now in the streaming world. Netflix has a deal in place with Dolby for Dolby Vision and Atmos. Every HDR movie at Vudu is Dolby vision.

https://www.vudu.com/movies/Movies_mobile.html#featured/12434

Dolby Vision is a fairly dominant form of HDR at streaming sites. If you have a LG oled, which it sounds like you do, you should be using the TV's built in apps to get Dolby vision output for sites like Netflix. Any movie or show with Dolby vision support will have a Vision logo.

I assume though I need the 4k plan?

Absolutely. I price matched to ebuyusa no problems.

What settings do you guys use for non 4k gaming like the Switch? Do I need to put it on a specific mode for input lag? Or do I just use the normal isf dark mode that I do for movies and such?

Weevilone

I recently did 3 Citi Price Rewinds and they made me work for it, still not done.

When I did it online, they auto found nothing. It was silly b/c the stuff I matched was cheaper everywhere. I printed out the paperwork to submit that way, and at the suggestion of their reps on the phone, I included extra documentation when I mailed it in.

One of them was processed and refunded fine. The second one, they sent an inquiry that required me to submit extra documentation... the exact same shit I had included in the envelope to begin with. Oh well, did the extra work, got the money.

The third claim was like a $300 match and they claim to have not received it in the mail. I re-submitted and have been waiting like 2 weeks. It's basically insurance and at least Citi may put you thru the wringer.

Top Bottom