• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tenchu Kurenai JP TV Commercial

New screens

26b.jpg

31b.jpg

47b.jpg

56b.jpg

Couple of questions...

First off, what exactly is Kurenai?

Second, has this been announed for the states?

Third, I love the first game; I should I pick up the one for the PS2 right now/ Ot Xbx?

Fourth, I also loved the first game's soundtrack. Has it been the same artist doing the music for games?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Kurenai is basically a new Tenchu game. The word Kurenai basically means "crimson" or "blood red".

No clue about a US announcement, but it is likely.

Yes, you should buy the recent PS2 game. It is actually very enjoyable, outside of the crazy camera. I seriously enjoyed it...

Tenchu 2 tossed the music away, and people complained. Tenchu 3 happesn to include music that sounds very similar to the original (and even includes some nice remixes). So, the music IS back in Tenchu 3 and it rocks. As for Kurenai, I can't imagine that they would return to no music...but who knows.

FortNinety said:
First off, what exactly is Kurenai?

Second, has this been announed for the states?

Third, I love the first game; I should I pick up the one for the PS2 right now/ Ot Xbx?

Fourth, I also loved the first game's soundtrack. Has it been the same artist doing the music for games?

1. It's a side-story game featuring Ayame and a new female ninja named Rin. Timeline is one year before Tenchu 3 during the period of Rikimaru's disappearance. Kurenai translates to "Crimson".

2. Has not been announced for the States. Expect to hear something shortly.

3. Tenchu 3 PS2 > Tenchu 3 XBOX

4. Noriyuki Asakura has composed all the music for the Tenchu series except Kurenai. He did compose the main theme however.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Are you the one who has been playing Kurenai, MA?

If so, how is it? Without Asakura, how does the music stand up?

Any impressions would be nice. :)

It's great to hear that theme and see the add'ua logo. I still get tingly at all teh Tenchu series openings. I am also one of the few who liked 2, but I did miss music in the levels (other than user-created, those had short repeating tracks).

Plus, the revelation on winning as Tatsumaru is pretty cool. Great FMV.

Get Tenchu 3, it follows up directly to part 1 and should be pretty cheap.

Asakura also did guitar work for Rurouni Kenshin, which is why some of the Tenchu music sounds like it is using samples from Kenshin.

There is a girl in the trailer, a boss I guess, who uses a combination crossbow/twin wrist blades that looks just like Hyuakurin's from Blade of the Immortal.

maskrider

Got the Japanese (Asian) version yesterday, haven't played Tenchu 3 much so cannot compare Kurenai and 3.

The screens that MassiveAttack posted are from the Chinese version, it will be released in August.

I think the 3D engine is the same as PS2 Tenchu 3, the shadow of the characters are always from a light source above them while the shadow in Tenchu 3 X-BOX version will follow the dominant light source.

I think the 3D model is better made than in Tenchu 3, and she looks better in Kurenai.

Some areas (e.g. the first area) have a blur filter that blur the whole screen including the text. It is a preset of the stages.

There is a vs mode that you can select the characters that you have fought with (for sure includes Ayame and Rin).

You collect scrolls, which you got from good assassinations, to unlock more skills.

edit: Forgot to mention that the game support Dolby Pro-logic II surround output.

Miburou

So what does Tenchu Kurenai mean? It wouldn't mean Crimson Heavenly Punishment, since that would have to be Kurenai (no) Tenchu, right? I remember reading that the title has a pun in it, like that Kurenai in the title could also be perceived as the negative form of Kureru?

Top Bottom