• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teslagrad [OT] Super Magnetic Neo

Yuterald

268x268.resizedimage

Details:
Developer: Rain Games
Publisher: Rain Games
Genre: Metroidvania...
LOL
Release Date: December 13, 2013
Platforms: Available right now on PC/Steam, Linux/Unix, and Mac. 2014 on PS3/Wii U?
Link: Buy Now for $7.99! 20% off on Steam until December 20, 2013!

Pics:
ss_5015be68d7b083d7df807c40cd35ecb71d17fe2a.600x338.jpg

ss_72b1b9eb756d7e96ad463c57d606c6c9c2283bc6.600x338.jpg

ss_93e0aeceff90677b6cc99bb83c6ce2b5466d50a6.600x338.jpg

What's the deal?
Cool, minimalistic, 2D puzzle/platformer with an emphasis on polarizing mechanics. My impressions so far? Great pacing, cool power ups, interesting bosses, and all that jazz. A totally rad game. Oh, and it's a Metroidvania...those kinds of games are still cool, right?

neo003.jpg
approves...

Lain

I tried the demo and it seemed like a great game. Can't get it right now though, since I'm saving some money for the winter sales, but it's wish-listed for a future purchase.

bakuryu

Neo Member
Played for about 45 min at PAX, I was blown away by the quality. The puzzles are very Portal-esque, and the art style is really cool. Instabought it when it showed up on Steam. Give it a shot!

Hiltz

Teslagrad looks pretty cool from the footage I've seen of it. The developer confirmed PS3 and Wii U versions for 2014, and we can expect more info on them early next year.

120v

i clicked on the title at random on the Store page not expecting, well, anything... but watching the trailer i was like woah

i'd like to check it out.. but i've been buying steam games left and right recently. need to chill. but if the impressions are good enough i'll get it anyway

Yuterald

Yeah, I've always had my eye on this game for awhile now and I didn't even realize it was coming out until I saw it this morning when I checked the store. I thought it looked and sounded pretty cool so I downloaded it and just got done a 2 hour power session. I couldn't put it down. Most impressed by the pacing. I always fear games like this exhaust you with room after room of puzzles, but there's nothing frustrating or grating here. Great uses of the items/abilities you find, story told through exploration, interesting bosses that make use of your new abilities, etc. Classic stuff. Loving it.

Yuterald

Finished it...I think, lol!

Whatever happened, without spoiling it, I've got a few more loose ends to tie up in order to see a "true" end sort-of-deal. Game's about 4-5 hours depending on your reflex skills and "puzzle" solving abilities. This is definitely not a brain buster like The Swapper. Total middle-ground game, nice balance of platforming, reflex based scenarios/bosses, etc. Genuinely enjoyed this.

wouwie

I've had my eye on this ever since it was announced. It looks like my kind of game. I hope the PS3 version is going to be released soon.

Nasreddin

I am one hour in and so far Teslagrad is one of the best platformers I played this year. I would describe it as Metroidbraidia. Great magnetic puzzles and challenging action/platforming sequences with fair checkpoints. Exploration is pretty limited, but still a great game.

Yuterald

So, I finished last night with all achievements (scrolls collected) and saw the "best" ending. So good. Nearly perfect pacing. About 5-7 hours to see and collect everything the game has to offer. I could not put this game down. I pretty much played it all day yesterday. As far as physics/momentum based puzzle platformers go, I think this one may end up being one of my favorites in a long time. I tend to dislike a lot of these types of puzzle/platformers, but this game threw in the right amount of variety to keep things interesting from start to finish. I think what separates this game for me from other puzzle/platformers (like Braid, The Swapper, Limbo, etc.) is the fact that there were BOSSES, like, surprisingly good ones too. The bosses made use of the abilities you acquired throughout the game as well in a very Zelda-like manner. It's a formula that's been done to death, but very rarely do I find games (especially "indie" games or from a small, inexperienced team like this) that nail the pacing so well. Good stuff here.

flowsnake

I unlocked the
16 scroll door
, what am I meant to do now? I can't really see anything to do in that room. Just get the rest?

Ryuuga

Banned
This game needs a hell of a lot more love, I tried the demo yesterday and it's amazing. When does this come out for all other platforms? The one thing it needs is competent controller support.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This game needs a hell of a lot more love, I tried the demo yesterday and it's amazing. When does this come out for all other platforms? The one thing it needs is competent controller support.

Precisely what I'm waiting for, which is disappointing as I was looking forward to playing it.

Yuterald

I unlocked the
16 scroll door
, what am I meant to do now? I can't really see anything to do in that room. Just get the rest?

There's a platform to stand in beyond that area that will transport you somewhere. That's where the real final boss is. You don't need all scrolls to "beat" the game, but to see the best ending you need to collect everything.

69wpm

Played a bit yesterday until after the second boss. The atmosphere and music are great. It looks like an animated cartoon, very cool. Controls could be a bit tighter, but it's nothing to worry about. Not being able to take screenshots is annoying. The game runs at 1080p on the Wii U so it's really nice to look at. Maybe they'll patch in the screenshot feature.

Edit: According to the dev, the screenshot problem is some weird bug and Nintendo is fixing it.

maxcriden

Played a bit yesterday until after the second boss. The atmosphere and music are great. It looks like an animated cartoon, very cool. Controls could be a bit tighter, but it's nothing to worry about. Not being able to take screenshots is annoying. The game runs at 1080p on the Wii U so it's really nice to look at. Maybe they'll patch in the screenshot feature.

Edit: According to the dev, the screenshot problem is some weird bug and Nintendo is fixing it.

Sounds awesome. Thanks for your impressions! Really looking forward to playing it.

Luigiv

Was going to buy this but then saw it was 20 AUD on the Wii U. :/

I'm going to need to read some rather glowing reviews/recommendations before I bite.

KooopaKid

Banned
So I bought The Swapper instead. I don't know, something is off in the videos I watched. Maybe it's the physics that are reminding me that physics based games are usually not fun.
Maybe it's the art direction. Animation-wise and gameplay-wise, it reminds me of the remake of A Boy And His Blob, and that was not very good.

wouwie

I'm playing this on PS4 and i'm enjoying it a lot. At first, i wasn't feeling it so i stopped playing but i picked it up again a few days ago and i'm having a great time with it now. The game is somewhat simple at first but once you get different abilities, the game opens up and the puzzle platforming gameplay becomes more interesting. Visually, i like it a lot and the music is great.

Looking forward to continue playing. I might even try to collect everything once i'm through the game.

wouwie

I finished the main story and i'm now collecting all the items (6 items to go, of which 2 i have located). No clue where the other 4 items are at this point but i will try to find them all.

I had a lot of fun playing Teslagrad and it has earned a spot in my GOTY list. It combines two of my favourite gameplay genres, puzzle and platforming, and does it rather well. The controls are good and unlocking new abilities keeps the game fresh. The boss battles are imaginative and fun. The visuals are nice and the soundtrack stands out and adds a lot of atmosphere.

The game could have been a bit longer. Also, i rarely had that satisfying feeling of figuring out a puzzle, something that only the best puzzle games can achieve (e.g. Portal 2 and Braid). The puzzles felt a tad too simple for that.

I'm glad i played Teslagrad. I'm looking forward to what Rain Games does next. Seems like another promising indie developer.

KooopaKid

Banned
Ok so I bought this on WiiU since there was a promotion for it. So here's my mini-review :

Finished it in about 5 hours. Cool game. Really loved the mythology, the art work and the old-school animation. The physics and collisions were a bit finicky but nothing too bad bar a couple of gravity puzzles. Most of the puzzles were very simple, the hardest part was their execution. The boss battles were way too much trial and error. Particularly the one with the bouncing lasers which was completely random. It's not really a metroidvania as there's very little interconnection between areas. No interest in going for 100% completion, there's absolutely no hints. I give this game a 4 out 5. A bigger, more developed sequel could be really good.

UrbanRats

Is this even out for the VITA? I bought the PS4 version a while ago, assuming it was cross buy, but i can't even find it in the PS store (the vita version, that is).

RiverBed

Banned
I just finished this game. I got it free via PS+ this month. I love it! Not a single word or text in the entire game and yet you connected with the characters and learned the story. The gradual evolution of the gameplay and abilities of your character are really well done and keep the game fresh till the end.

I noticed there was a Metro helmet in one of the rooms. And this is an indie game that looks good. I hate those bad excuse horribly ugly 'retro look' games that screech your eyes and screen for how ugly they look.

I checked the dev's page and I think this is their only game. They are on my watch list now. I haven't heard about the game prior to the PS+ offer. I loved it, enjoyed it and the ending was nice. Well done Rain.

Quonny

I am loving this game so far. Bosses are challenging, puzzles are cool, and I love the art. Feels very Secret of Evermore.

Top Bottom