• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Atlantic: The Storm That Will Unfreeze the North Pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovid

The sun has not risen above the North Pole since mid-September. The sea ice—flat, landlike, windswept, and stretching as far as the eye can see—has been bathed in darkness for months.

But later this week, something extraordinary will happen: Air temperatures at the Earth’s most northernly region, in the middle of winter, will rise above freezing for only the second time on record.

On Wednesday, the same storm system that last week spun up deadly tornadoes in the American southeast will burst into the far north, centering over Iceland. It will bring strong winds and pressure as low as is typically seen during hurricanes.

That low pressure will suck air out of the planet’s middle latitudes and send it rushing to the Arctic. And so on Wednesday, the North Pole will likely see temperatures of about 35 degrees Fahrenheit, or 2 degrees Celsius. That’s 50 degrees hotter than average: It’s usually 20 degrees Fahrenheit below zero there at this time of year.

While institutional science will take years, if not decades, to confirm a correlation between human-forced climate change and strong North Atlantic storms, Scribbler believes that Wednesday’s insane warmth at the pole resembles the southern incursions of the “polar vortex” that have been seen in recent winters. These changes are related to human-forced climate change, he writes: a sign that something in the atmosphere has gone “dreadfully wrong.”

theatlantic.com

This is scary stuff.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Polar bears are so fucking done

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
But I was promised by a man with a snowball in congress that this wouldn't happen.

cute-baby-seals-9909-hd-wallpapers.jpg

Concerned baby seal is concerned.

Wilsongt

Certain species on earth had a good run. Earth will bounce back after mass extinction events; humans are the fragile ones.

Kifimbo

Now I'm not an expert or anything, but I've been living in Canada for a decent period of time, and it takes a lot more than one day above 0 Celsius to unfreeze anything that has been frozen for months. So the title of that article is silly. Article itself is mostly fine.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
People will blame this shit on God before manmade climate change.
It's not God's fault. It's man's. We didn't do good by God, and we are being punished.

That there's a debate over accepting that this is happening to do something about it is fucking embarrassing.

Now I'm not an expert or anything, but I've been living in Canada for a decent period of time, and it takes a lot more than one day above 0 Celsius to unfreeze anything that has been frozen for months. So the title of that article is silly. Article itself is mostly fine.

That's not the point.

I think the title is to mainly stress the point of how rare and insane it is for the North Pole to experience temperatures so high for this time of year. (maybe a bit of clickbait as well)

Denton

I must say I am not super excited about experiencing the end of the world in my lifetime. Just not my thing.

I want to know if this is because of El Nino or global warming, or (most likely) a combination of the two. I'm already getting tired of all the people describing this warm December weather as "global warming". And then when January comes and we freeze our asses off all the conservative trolls will say "ha! and they thought global warming was real lolololol". Shit is getting so predictable.

edit: read the article and is indeed a combination of the two, but it doesn't look like scientists expected it to get this hot despite El Nino.

Pastry

Banned
At work so can't read he full article but when was he last time the temperature was above freezing? It said it was the second time.

MrBigBoy

I want to know if this is because of El Nino or global warming, or (most likely) a combination of the two. I'm already getting tired of all the people describing this warm December weather as "global warming". And then when January comes and we freeze our asses off all the conservative trolls will say "ha! and they thought global warming was real lolololol". Shit is getting so predictable.
We get those strong winters because of global warming. Earth always wants to 'repair' itself. Frame it like this:

Nature: "Let's have a warm December, lots of storms and floods."
Earth: "Bitch, that's not how this is supposed to be. I'll force extreme winter conditions in January on all of you."

At least, that would be the case if nature and Earth could talk.

I'm not drunk.

Madness

Polar bears are so fucking done

At least they aren't getting butchered like the rest of the major apex predators around the globe. Elephants getting their tusks ripped out and legs made into footstools, sharks finned and thrown back to drown so people can eat soup, alligators being turned into purses and boots, Tigers killed and their bones being made into balm etc.

Just crazy, watch as the Arctic becomes the next flashpoint between Canada, US, Russia, Denmark and others laying claims and right of passage due to th economic interest.

We get those strong winters because of global warming. Earth always wants to 'repair' itself. Frame it like this:

Earth: "Bitch, that's not how this is supposed to be. I'll force extreme winter conditions in January on all of you."

I'm not drunk.

Haha, I don't think that's how it goes, but you're right. The warm global temperatures spreads the Arctic weather southward (hence "polar vortex"), or something along those lines.

psylah

At least they aren't getting butchered like the rest of the major apex predators around the globe. Elephants getting their tusks ripped out and legs made into footstools, sharks finned and thrown back to drown so people can eat soup, alligators being turned into purses and boots, Tigers killed and their bones being made into balm etc.

Just crazy, watch as the Arctic becomes the next flashpoint between Canada, US, Russia, Denmark and others laying claims and right of passage due to th economic interest.

You're missing the point of all our global warming. We melt the poles, the polar pears drown, and then a bountiful harvest of polar bear corpses wash up on the new shorelines for the harvesting of their pelts.

Sure it's not the most practical way, but that first harvest sure will be efficient.

Dr.Acula

Banned
In order for this huge, hot storm to reach Iceland on Wednesday, it’s punching right through the Jet Stream, the atmospheric “river” that brings temperate weather to Europe. Yet El Niño should typically reinforce this current, explains the climate writer Robert Scribbler—for the Jet Stream to weaken is a sign that something else is going on.

Scary.

Par Score

Certain species on earth had a good run. Earth will bounce back after mass extinction events; humans are the fragile ones.

Eh, humans can probably adapt to a point well beyond most other species, we're probably one of the most robust animals on the planet, in aggregate.

Climate change is going to cause a hell of a lot of extinctions though, for sure. We can just add them to humanity's running total.

I'm not drunk.

That is... categorically not how this works. In some ways it's hilarious you think it is, but in others it's tremendously scary how uneducated people are about something so crucial to life on our planet.

Velcro Fly

We are wrecking the earth and I wish with all my heart that the ones denying this and working against progress to help fix this would be alive when the tipping point occurs and we finally destroy this planet.

jmdajr

We are wrecking the earth and I wish with all my heart that the ones denying this and working against progress to help fix this would be alive when the tipping point occurs and we finally destroy this planet.

The planet will be fine..

the people though.

Ovid

MrBigBoy

That is... categorically not how this works. In some ways it's hilarious you think it is, but in others it's tremendously scary how uneducated people are about something so crucial to life on our planet.
Oops, forgot tot put /jk in the spoiler :p

I am actually drunk

Will read thread tomorrow when sober.

I was talking about global warming with my dad yesterday while were headed to Billings, and his theory is global warming is anthropagenic because of what he calls "heat islands," areas of development that absorb heat at a greater magnitude than undeveloped areas, and the heat reaches an equilibrium point because of thermodynamics, thus raising the temperature of the whole atmosphere.

I'm still in favor of greenhouse gases, but I don't really know where to turn for literature about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom