• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Avatar Legends |OT| of RPG Building on your Xbox 360

Ashodin

I just got to the part where you choose three paths and am doing the First town storyline. Good to find a spot to buy new gear. And the charging attacks ROCK. I love that you can strategize the abilities between using their basic or charged ability.

Gaspode_T

Played trial and insta-bought it last night. Very nice work, I love the atmosphere, music, graphics! Easily one of the best games on XBLIG now

One feedback: After it zooms in after opening a chest, I keep having the tendency to click A to zoom back out but you actually just have to walk away...

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Bought and played a good bit of this, good stuff.

Though I'd definitely like to see a run button and some more varied enemy types. Slimes and bats would be good cannon fodder enemies to pepper in earlier on, and should be pretty easy to make.

Ashodin

If it's a good RPG, I'm hooked, and I definitely think more people need to know about it.

I wish the game's share feature had a "list" of levels online to download.

wwm0nkey

Maxrpg said:
If it's a good RPG, I'm hooked, and I definitely think more people need to know about it.

I wish the game's share feature had a "list" of levels online to download.
Sadly no external server support to do this, Barker already expressed interest in doing that though.

Ashodin

wwm0nkey said:
Sadly no external server support to do this, Barker already expressed interest in doing that though.
That sucks. And a more "quest-oriented" online mode would be sweet too!

wwm0nkey

Maxrpg said:
That sucks. And a more "quest-oriented" online mode would be sweet too!
I would like a mode kind of like PSU. 5 areas with mini quests and ending with a big boss fight. Just not sure how possible that is :lol

Ashodin

wwm0nkey said:
I would like a mode kind of like PSU. 5 areas with mini quests and ending with a big boss fight. Just not sure how possible that is :lol
I'm sure he had trouble figuring out how things would work since everything is based on you talking to someone to start a quest. Perhaps some sort of structure where you enter an area, everyone is given a quest and then each person is tracked on completion then to move to another zone? No idea.

But yeah, a sort of PSU/PSO mode for this game would be ace. Especially if you could share levels. I'd make a whole campaign!

wwm0nkey

Maxrpg said:
I'm sure he had trouble figuring out how things would work since everything is based on you talking to someone to start a quest. Perhaps some sort of structure where you enter an area, everyone is given a quest and then each person is tracked on completion then to move to another zone? No idea.

But yeah, a sort of PSU/PSO mode for this game would be ace. Especially if you could share levels. I'd make a whole campaign!
maybe in the expansion when the game goes $5 lol

Santiako

It's a great game, I would have bought it, IF the camera wasn't such a pain in the ass. I hate how it re-centers itself all the time. I'll buy it if it get fixed, though.

Ricker

Santiako said:
It's a great game, I would have bought it, IF the camera wasn't such a pain in the ass. I hate how it re-centers itself all the time. I'll buy it if it get fixed, though.

Yeah that is a little annoying but I got use to it and I just don`t adjust it all the time,I just let it be...I actually had to travel back to hub town in my solo campaign yesterday because I was out of healing items and was getting low on health,so i`ll have to grind a little...I was looking for those big rocks,only found 1 out of 3...

Finally got around to playing this last night, haven't played much( just made it past the Hub world) but am enjoying it so far( especially the sense of humour).

On the camera issue I'm guessing what people aren't feeling great about how the camera always tries to work behind your avatar when moving?

I can see how that can be bothersome. In testing I guess we just got used to having a thumb on the right stick and keeping slightly off center. Keeping the right stick just slightly off center keeps the camera from springing back.

Anyone have any ideas on how you would prefer the camera to work so I can program in some alternative camera modes?

Ricker said:
Yeah that is a little annoying but I got use to it and I just don`t adjust it all the time,I just let it be...I actually had to travel back to hub town in my solo campaign yesterday because I was out of healing items and was getting low on health,so i`ll have to grind a little...I was looking for those big rocks,only found 1 out of 3...

When on the hub town map press B to pull up your map/inventory. If a quest qets frustrating you can resort to the mini-map for a hint ( Look for the ? or ! ) or pull up the quest details for a more detailed explanation of the current objective.

barkers crest said:
Anyone have any ideas on how you would prefer the camera to work so I can program in some alternative camera modes?

Just make it where it doesn't auto-correct, or give an option to turn it off.

Also, just an idea, would it be possible to make an in-game avatar editor? I was watching my wife play and she kept dashboarding to change her avatar over and over. So that seems to be a big draw of the game, why not incorporate it?

wwm0nkey

LocoMrPollock said:
Just make it where it doesn't auto-correct, or give an option to turn it off.

Also, just an idea, would it be possible to make an in-game avatar editor? I was watching my wife play and she kept dashboarding to change her avatar over and over. So that seems to be a big draw of the game, why not incorporate it?
Dont think thats possible to do sadly. Microsoft doesnt give you a lot of freedom when it comes to this stuff. Again if there where external server support we would also have an easy way to share levels too.

mclem

Barkers Crest: Liking a lot, but spotted a couple of bugs. Want me to PM them to you, or is there a better way I could pass them on?

mclem said:
Barkers Crest: Liking a lot, but spotted a couple of bugs. Want me to PM them to you, or is there a better way I could pass them on?

Email is usually pretty good for emailing me screen shots if you come across the stack trace error report. Otherwise PM will work just fine. Thanks for letting me know about the bugs.

wwm0nkey

Man a lot of people seem to just love this game. Almost everything I hear from people playing it are along the lines of "I love this" or "best indie game" lol

Recarpo

Haven't gotten very far, just past hub town, but am loving it so far and there's a lot more humor than I was expecting which is nice.

So I'm in the process of working on bug fixes and adjusting some features ( extra camera modes ) so if anyone has feedback please let me know.

So far I'm very happy with the games performance. At this point in the games life it is doing about twice as better than Avatar Golf did ( which was no slouch ) and is still the 3rd highest rated game in the U.S.

wwm0nkey

barkers crest said:
So I'm in the process of working on bug fixes and adjusting some features ( extra camera modes ) so if anyone has feedback please let me know.

So far I'm very happy with the games performance. At this point in the games life it is doing about twice as better than Avatar Golf did ( which was no slouch ) and is still the 3rd highest rated game in the U.S.
great to hear the game is doing good.

Oh and vvgtv gave it a 5/5

wwm0nkey

Still have to email him for all the details bur MajorNelson said we could use his avatar in the game, obviously still have to contact him to make 100% sure but he said it was ok with him at the E3 tweet up

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
After maybe an hour and a half of work I finished up a pretty nice multiplayer map. Took it online and soon had a full game, got some positive feedback from the people I messaged too. Had some changes I had to make but it came out well.

I'm very interested to see what changes get made to this game. Also, it made me really want a messenger pad thing. Typing out story stuff on the default 360 thing would be absolutely horrible.

EDIT: Sorry if this has been covered, but is there a reason there isn't a directory of multiplayer maps and single player adventures? Is it not allowed or too difficult to implement? Because that would really be incredible.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I just discovered this game this morning. Really amazing stuff, I'd love to hear more updates from Brakers Crest!

Wow, this looks awesome. Bought based on feedback in this thread and will give it a whirl when I get off work.

Looks really cool!

So how in-depth is the RPG maker part of it? Can you design a long game? I'm thinking of personalizing a game for my 6 year old with names and places he would recognize.

Emerson said:
After maybe an hour and a half of work I finished up a pretty nice multiplayer map. Took it online and soon had a full game, got some positive feedback from the people I messaged too. Had some changes I had to make but it came out well.

I'm very interested to see what changes get made to this game. Also, it made me really want a messenger pad thing. Typing out story stuff on the default 360 thing would be absolutely horrible.

EDIT: Sorry if this has been covered, but is there a reason there isn't a directory of multiplayer maps and single player adventures? Is it not allowed or too difficult to implement? Because that would really be incredible.

If you have a USB keyboard you can plug it into the xbox and use that to type in text.

As for the maps being uploaded to a single directory, I'd love to do something like that but we are restricted by Microsoft from doing so...but if that restriction ever changes I'll be all over it.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
okay... how the hell do you survive the beginning of the game? I just beat HUB Town and everything outside in World Map 1 just kills me. I've only leveled up once, and went into Atk recharge and Speech. What's the best choice?

It's kinda frustrating. I end up just spamming Fire to stun enemies and attack when they're stunned, but there's too many monsters I get mauled.

What's the deal? What am I doing wrong, I'm playing on Normal.

Does this game have local co-op, or is it online only?

Ah, just system link. So answering your question directly:No to have people playing local co-op on the same system.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
barkers crest said:
If you have a USB keyboard you can plug it into the xbox and use that to type in text.

As for the maps being uploaded to a single directory, I'd love to do something like that but we are restricted by Microsoft from doing so...but if that restriction ever changes I'll be all over it.

That's a shame but I figured it was the case. I'm sure you've thought plenty about it, but is there any kind of change you could make to make things more accessible? Not that I have any ideas, haha.

mclem

Adam Prime said:
okay... how the hell do you survive the beginning of the game? I just beat HUB Town and everything outside in World Map 1 just kills me. I've only leveled up once, and went into Atk recharge and Speech. What's the best choice?

It's kinda frustrating. I end up just spamming Fire to stun enemies and attack when they're stunned, but there's too many monsters I get mauled.

Spamming fire's a good start. I would play a heavily hit-and-fade game, ducking away frequently whenever I'd see a monster attack. I did go very heavily into spell (damage/speed) bonusses when levelling, which also helped. I avoided melee completely unless the monster was isolated.

I do wonder if there's a balance issue there, actually. The ranged spells seemed to be a *lot* more powerful than any melee, or at least a lot lower-risk.

Adam Prime said:

What's the deal? What am I doing wrong, I'm playing on Normal.

Since you are speech and attack recharge for now run past the enemies and get to first town. Do some of the speech quests there and as you level up put some skills into sword attack or magic attack.

An update to this game just went live. For those that were not big fans of the camera controls when exploring I added in a "fixed" camera mode that you can switch to through the settings.

Bug fixes, a new multiplayer map, and various other little things here and there are added in as well.

Top Bottom