• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Bard's Tale has gone gold

May be absolutely destroyed by coming out the same week as GTA:SA, but it looks to be a great game. Has anybody besides OPM reviewed it? (OPM gave a 4.5/5)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/12/news_6110306.html

Brian Fargo's console remake of his legendary RPG has sauntered off to the factory.

More than a few old-school gamers have fond memories of playing The Bard's Tale. Released in 1985, the legendary role-playing game was designed by game legend Brian Fargo and published by his company, a then-medium-sized outfit by the name of Electronic Arts.

Nearly two decades later, The Bard's Tale is back. Having long since parted ways with EA, Fargo is releasing the game through his own recently created developer-publisher, InXile Entertainment. This morning, InXile announced that the reincarnation of The Bard's Tale has gone gold for the PlayStation 2 and Xbox.

Featuring a more mischievous tone than the original, the new game will put players in the role of the Bard, who will be voiced by The Princess Bride star Cary Elwes. Rather than trying to achieve noble ends, the Bard's primary activity will be the pursuing "coin and cleavage," according to InXile. The game will feature nonlinear, morally ambiguous gameplay, in which players' naughty or nice interactions with non-player characters will determine the story's outcome.

Rated T for Teen, The Bard's Tale is set to ship the week of October 25. Recently, GameSpot got to play the first several levels of the game--read our hands-on for more information.

I hope this really does justice to the classic original.

It seems like more and more companies are getting old PC franchises, and slapping recognizable names on them *cough* *Leisure Suit Larry* *cough*. If we're lucky, we'll get King's Quest: Up in Da Heezy, with Graham and Alexander being voiced by Lil John and Ludacris, as they pursue their quest for righteous bootay in Daventry.

jedimike

I hope this really does justice to the classic original.

I really don't think this one has anything in common with the first, second, or third...

Bards_Tale.ss.gif

except the creator of the original is doing this one.

Catalyst

Banned
Have you seen the ads for this game? They're absolutely hilarious. And this is also a game that won't take itself seriously, so shit yeah I'm going to buy it.

Rhindle

It's a bit odd that they even bothered with the name. It's not like there's more than 10 people who are going to recognize it, and it's not a partuclarly good name to begin with.

Catalyst

Banned
Rhindle said:
It's a bit odd that they even bothered with the name. It's not like there's more than 10 people who are going to recognize it, and it's not a partuclarly good name to begin with.
Yeah, it'll definitely not appeal to the mainstream gamer, but for those who love a sense of humor in a satircal RPG using the Champions of Norrath engine...it's a buy. Let the ads seduce you, then the reviews :D.

White Man

One of the original creators is working on it. Maybe he felt the need to revisit his old creation, and since there hasn't been a game in the franchise for >10-15 years, why not use the original name? Personally, the name as what first brought my attention to this title. The Bard's Tale was my first RPG, and as far as I'm concerned, it's the best series of corridor RPGs.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
It's coming out on PC, right? I bet it'll do nicely in Korea, because a lot of the humor tends to indirectly lampoon Lineage culture.

Acosta

Great, that is very good news, it's a really promising game.

No, it's not "hardcore" as the original series, Brian Fargo wanted something easier to get, but has lot of personality and is very different from your standard RPG. It´s really fun and worked for what I have seen, hope they have managed to keep the brilliant moments all the game.

sonycowboy said:
Released in 1985, the legendary role-playing game was designed by game legend Brian Fargo and published by his company, a then-medium-sized outfit by the name of Electronic Arts.

?
Nitpicking, I know...but it was Fargo's company, Interplay, who was being published by EA. Anyway...good news. I hope it's fun. Now, on to Wasteland.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Bards_Tale.ss.gif

*sniff* So many wonderful memories...of my 1541 drive going GRRROONNNKGROOOOONNK as it churned away on the floppies...wonderful days.

I'll be buying this on day one, on principle alone. I'm a huge fan of Brian Fargo's work, and any project he's involved in deserves everyone's monetary support. 1 copy of Bard's Tale Xbox, please!

Top Bottom