• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Cannes Film Festival 2016 |OT| Fancy French Film Fest

Status
Not open for further replies.

berzeli

Banned
SF88Snk.jpg

In Competition
Toni Erdmann | Maren Ade | Trailer
Julieta | Pedro Almodóvar | Trailer
American Honey | Andrea Arnold
Personal Shopper | Olivier Assayas
La Fille Inconnue (The Unknown Lady) | Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne
Juste la Fin du Monde (It’s Only The End Of The World) | Xavier Dolan
Ma Loute (Slack Bay) | Bruno Dumont | Trailer
Mal de Pierres (From the Land of the Moon) | Nicole Garcia
Rester Vertical (Staying Vertical) | Alain Guiraudie
Paterson | Jim Jarmusch
Aquarius | Kleber Mendonça Filho
I, Daniel Blake | Ken Loach
Ma’Rosa | Brillante Mendoza | Trailer
Bacalaureat (Graduation) | Cristian Mungiu | Trailer
Loving | Jeff Nichols
Agassi (The Handmaiden) | Park Chan-Wook | Trailer
The Last Face | Sean Penn
Sieranevada | Cristi Puiu
Elle | Paul Verhoeven | Trailer
The Neon Demon | Nicolas Winding Refn | Trailer
Forushande (The Salesman) | Asghar Farhadi​

Un Certain Regard:
Varoonegi (Inversion) | Behnam Behzadi | Trailer
Apprentice | Boo Junfeng | Trailer
Voir du Pays (The Stopover) | Delphine Coulin, Muriel Coulin
La Danseuse (The Dancer) | Stéphanie di Giusto
Eshtebak (Clash) | Mohamed Diab
La Tortue Rouge (Red Turtle) | Michael Dudok de Wit | Trailer
Fuchi Ni Tatsu (Harmonium) | Fukada Kôji
Omor Shakhsiya (Personal Affairs) | Maha Haj
Me’Ever Laharim Vehagvaot (Beyond the Mountains and the Hills) | Eran Kolirin
Umi yori mo Mada Fukaku (After the Storm) | Kore-eda Hirokazu | Trailer
Hymyilevä Mies (The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki) | Juho Kuosmanen | Trailer
La Larga Noche de Francisco Sanctis (The Long Night of Francisco Sanctis) | Francisco Márquez, Andrea Testa | Trailer
Câini (Dogs) | Bogdan Mirica
Pericle Il Nero (Pericle) | Stefano Mordini | Trailer
The Transfiguration | Michael O’Shea
Captain Fantastic | Matt Ross | Trailer
Uchenik (The Student) | Kirill Serebrennikov
Hell or High Water | David Mackenzie | Trailer

Out of Competition:
The BFG | Steven Spielberg | Trailer
Goksung (The Wailing) | Na Hong-jin | Trailer
Money Monster | Jodie Foster | Trailer
The Nice Guys | Shane Black | Trailer
Café Society (opening film) | Woody Allen | Trailer

Midnight Screenings:
Gimme Danger | Jim Jarmusch
Bu-San-Haeng (Train to Busan) | Yeon Sang-ho | Trailer
Blood Father | Jean-François Richet | Trailer
Hands of Stone | Jonathan Jakubowicz | Trailer

Special Screenings:
Exil (Exile) | Rithy Panh
L’Ultima Spiaggia (The Last Resort) | Thanos Anastopolous and Davide Del Degan | Trailer
Hissein Habré, Une Tragédie Tchadienne (Hissein Habré, A Chadian Tragedy) | Mahamat-Saleh Aroun
La Mort de Louis XIV (Last Days of Louis XIV) | Albert Serra | Trailer
Le Cancre | Paul Vecchiali
La Forêt de Quinconces (Fool Moon) | Grégoire Leprince-Ringuet | Trailer
Wrong Elements | Jonathan Littell​

Other notable events and awards:
The Cannes Short Film Selection | The Directors' Fortnight Selection | The International Critics' Week Selection | The Cinéfondation Selection | The Cannes Classics Selection

FAQ
What is the Cannes Film Festival?
It is one of the most prestigious film festivals in the world.
That is a lot of different awards and things and stuff, what does it all mean?
There is a bunch of different events and awards all happening during the same time and at the same location, but they're not all the same thing.
There is the main festival which hosts two prestigious competitions, the main one and another named Un Certain Regard the latter one highlights "original and different" works, they have separate selection, awards and juries. And there is an official short film competition. In addition to those three competitions the main festival also shows a plethora of other new & old films under different banners (eg. Cannes classics, Midnight Screenings)
Ok.
There is also the directors fortnight, which is a separate section with its own competition hosted by the French Directors Guild that runs in parallel with the main festival.
Um, I think I got it...
Wait, there is also The The International Critics' Week, another separate section, which showcases (and gives awards to) first and second feature films by directors from all over the world, the Cinéfondation which shows student films from around the world And the Marché du Film which is a business event that runs in parallel with all of festivities.
Oh.
Yeah it is a bit much at times.
Why Should I care about these awards?
Because the Academy Awards (aka Oscars) sucks and Cannes does a better job at awarding films.
That is still a kind of elitist attitude you got going on there
Sorry, the Academy Awards do however suffer from a decent amount of americentrism/anglocentrism which means that there is a very narrow field of films which gets attention. Cannes is better at giving attention to films from across the world.
wGaDVrk.png

Busty

Banned
That's an impressive line up. I think that the following could be really interesting.

Julieta | Pedro Almodóvar
American Honey | Andrea Arnold
It’s Only The End Of The World | Xavier Dolan
Paterson | Jim Jarmusch
Loving | Jeff Nichols
Elle | Paul Verhoeven
The Neon Demon | Nicolas Winding Refn

I have no idea what this is about but just from the title alone it's a hard pass from me.

I, Daniel Blake | Ken Loach

Just get it over with and give the Dardenne brothers a lifetime pass already!
More seriously, even though the Festival has become much too predictable in regards to the movies in the official competition, there are some great names on that list: Dumont / Jarmusch / Guiraudie / Nichols / Park Chan-Wook / Winding Refn and hopefully a fantastic come-back for Verhoeven.

And as someone who lives in Cannes and used to work in a hotel during the Festival (possibly the worst work experience of my life, even though some fun stuff also happened), now that I work from home I look forward to not leaving my house for the entire week and not having to endure this hellscape!

berzeli

Banned
I have no idea what this is about but just from the title alone it's a hard pass from me.
It's Ken Loach (Kes, The Wind That Shakes the Barley).
The story centres on Daniel Blake, 59, who has worked as a joiner most of his life in the North East of England and needs help from the State for the first time ever following an illness.
It's the Ken Loach-iest, Ken Loach film that ever Ken Loached.
Just get it over with and give the Dardenne brothers a lifetime pass already!
More seriously, even though the Festival has become much too predictable in regards to the movies in the official competition, there are some great names on that list: Dumont / Jarmusch / Guiraudie / Nichols / Park Chan-Wook / Winding Refn and hopefully a fantastic come-back for Verhoeven.

And as someone who lives in Cannes and used to work in a hotel during the Festival (possibly the worst work experience of life, even though some fun stuff also happened), now that I work from home I look forward to not leaving my house for the entire week and not having to endure this hellscape!
Woody Allen would need to die and hand over his pass methinks.

I do agree that there is a certain predictability with their choices, this was brought up in the press conference as they were announcing the films. But they feel that the loyalty between the festval and filmmakers ultimately is more of a good thing than bad. And I can't disagree that much, why wouldn't you want to have someone like Xavier Dolan in Cannes, even if it is for the fifth time.

Oh, and my condolences regarding your hotel work.

Busty

Banned
It's the Ken Loach-iest, Ken Loach film that ever Ken Loached.

Urgh. I didn't even know what the film was about but that logline/synopsis all but guarantees that I'll never watch any of this.

Also..., Ken Loach is known as 'Ken Leech' in British film financing circles because he is constantly hoovering up all the production money that is floating around with his unbearable "it's grim up north" style kitchen sink dramas.

Pffft.

Very cool. A lot of movies in completion im interested in, although maybe I was foolish to believe the new farhadi film would be there

Also he nice guys and he bfg out of competition! Remember when fury road debuted there last year

berzeli

Banned
The critic's week unveiled their (incredibly underwhelming and quite frankly ugly) poster:
And their lineup:
In Competition:
Albüm | Mehmet Can Mertoğlu
Diamond Island | Davy Chou
Raw (Grave) | Julia Ducournau
Mimosas | Oliver Laxe
One Week and a Day (Shavua ve Yom) | Asaph Polonsky
Tramontane | Vatche Boulghourjian
A Yellow Brid | K. Rajagopal

Opening film:
In Bed with Victoria (Victoria) | Justine Triet
Closing Films:
Smile (Bonne Figure) | Sandrine Kiberlain
En Moi | Laetitia Casta
Kitty | Chloë Sevigny (USA)

50+5 Screenings:
Los Pasos del Agua | César Augusto Acevedo
From the Diary of a Wedding Photographer (Myomano Shel Tzalam Hatonot) | Nadav Lapid
Special Screenings:
Happy Times Will Come Soon (I Tempi Felici Verranno Presto) | Alessandro Comodin
Apnée | Jean-Christophe Meurisse

berzeli

Banned
VIy9Cf9.png

And now we've got the Director's Fortnight lineup as well:

Dog Eat Dog | Paul Schrader (Closing Film)
Divines | Houda Benyamina
L’Économie du Couple | Joachim Lafosse
L’Effet Aquatique | Sólveig Anspach
Fai Bei Sogni (Fais de Beaux Rêves) | Marco Bellocchio
Fiore | Claudio Giovannesi
La Pazza Gioia(Like Crazy) | Paolo Virzì
Ma Vie de Courgette | Claude Barras
Mean Dreams | Nathan Morlando
Mercenaire | Sacha Wolff
Neruda | Pablo Larraín
Poesía Sin Fin (Endless Poetry) | Alejandro Jodorowsky
Raman Raghav 2.0 (Psycho Raman) | Anurag Kashyap
Risk | Laura Poitras
Tour de France | Rachid Djaïdani
Two Lovers and a Bear | Kim Nguyen
Les Vies de Thérèse | Sébastien Lifshitz
Wolf and Sheep | Shahrbanoo Sadat

Jodorowsky!

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
The Nice Guys | Shane Black

Isn't The Nice Guys hitting theatres like a week after? Is this common? Really looking forward to this one.

linsivvi

I used to look forward to his films, however I'm So Excited! has made me say I'm So Not Excited! about his new film (ba-dum-tsh).

Not that being the best Almodóvar in years is a glowing endorsement.

Well he's only made 3 films since Volver and it's 10 years ago.

But yeah, I'm So NOT Excited got me almost wanted to walk out of the cinema.

berzeli

Banned
Isn't The Nice Guys hitting theatres like a week after? Is this common? Really looking forward to this one.

It is.
It sort of is. Last year Mad Max: Fury Road opened in Cannes days before it's general release.
Yes. New Paul Schrader and Jodorowsky at Director's Forthnight.
Is this something to look forward to these days?
edit:
Well he's only made 3 films since Volver and it's 10 years ago.

Sort of my point, since he hasn't made that many films lately, the term "in years" loses its meaning. Which almost makes it sound like a backhanded compliment.

madkiller

Is this something to look forward to these days?

Absolutely. I'm a big fan of his oeuvre both as a writer and director, I've watched pretty much everything he's done and Mishima is one of my all time favorites.

He's doing his own thing and through his career he has stayed consistent and true to his style and aesthetics.

berzeli

Banned
Ah, I've been so bad at keeping this thread updated. I even forgot to bump it for the Cannes Classics announcement, and that is like my favourite.

But now the OP has gotten a facelift, lists all the films in the competition, and I also managed to track down trailers for a bunch of them. I actually think this thread at the moment is the most complete repository for Cannes trailers. Well outside of the official website which got updated today and finally shows trailers... Oh well.

I'm so psyched for it all to kick off!

Good work on the OP, especially with the trailer links, very helpful and informative.

I love Cannes season, I'm always hooked to the web streams. It's just too bad the Dissolve isn't around anymore, I was looking forward to more Postcards from Cannes coverage.

ViewtifulJC said:
although maybe I was foolish to believe the new farhadi film would be there

You weren't!

That's probably my most anticipated film right now. Along with the Jarmusch one two punch.

berzeli

Banned
Yay, and now a mod changed the title. Thank you. <3

Good work on the OP, especially with the trailer links, very helpful and informative.
Thanks.
I love Cannes season, I'm always hooked to the web streams. It's just too bad the Dissolve isn't around anymore, I was looking forward to more Postcards from Cannes coverage.
Urgh, now I'm sad. The Dissolve was too good for this world. And The Guardian won't do The Film Show this year either, hopefully their podcast will be good.

Where will people keep track on all things Cannes?
edit: I should probably mention this but they redesigned the official website and it is actually useful this year!

big ander

Great OP berzeli.
Most excited for the reactions to the new Ade (saw Everyone Else this week and it's stellar, Toni Erdmann looks so weird and funny), Arnold, Park, Nichols and Farhadi of the films in competition. Hoping for something interesting out of un certain regard to make a splash as well, that's always fun.

I wouldn't worry about missing Postcards from Cannes: D'Angelo is covering the fest for the AV Club.

berzeli

Banned
The Guardian Dalies podcast
Day 1 Woody Allen
Day 2 Desperation (Money Monster, I, Daniel Blake, Rester Vertical)

AV Club Postcards from Cannes
Day 1 Cannes opens with the latest star-studded ensemble from Woody Allen (Café Society, Sieranevada)

New York Times Critic's Notebook
Even on Alert, It&#8217;s Still Cannes

Reviews

Main festival:

Café Society
The Guardian: It has entertainment and charm. [3/5]
Variety: beautiful-looking but overly familiar Hollywood love triangle

Money Monster
The Guardian: This is no masterpiece, but it&#8217;s amiable slice of popcorn entertainment. [3/5]
AV Club: Shame it&#8217;s not 1998, when Money Monster might have looked relevant [D+]
New York Times: it supplies a curious sort of comfort. (And also some pretty good laughs along the way.)
Variety: somehow the film hangs together surprisingly well

I, Daniel Blake
The Guardian: I, Daniel Blake is a movie with a fierce, simple dignity of its own. [4/5]
Variety: The quiet beauty of &#8220;I, Daniel Blake&#8221; &#8212; the reason it&#8217;s the rare political drama that touches the soul &#8212; is that we believe, completely, in these people standing in front of us

Sieranevada
The Guardian: an intriguing drama, but does not entirely deliver the extraordinary revelations and catharses that it appears to be moving towards. [3/5]
Variety: Puiu&#8217;s overlong domestic drama somewhat taxingly allows those gathered to seek their own catharses

Rester Vertical
The Guardian: wearyingly self-indulgent and a real disappointment [2/5]
Variety: a film that defies common sense in a way that audiences will not take kindly to

Ma Loute
The Guardian: a fascinatingly made film, theatrically extravagant and precise, although perhaps a little over-extended [4/5]
Variety: Messy as it is, &#8220;Slack Bay&#8221; looks great

Uchenik
Variety: Kirill Serebrennikov's study of a problem teenager's religious awakening is as aesthetically kinetic as it is intellectually rigorous.

Eshtebak
The Guardian: Diab&#8217;s small location results in a big impact. [4/5]
Variety: harrowing, high-pitched drama

International Critics' Week:

In Bed With Victoria
Variety: offers both the candor and the schmaltz of &#8220;Trainwreck.&#8221;

Fai Bei Sogni
Variety: For a director known for his nuanced portrayals of family life, he seems frustratingly disarmed by the all-powerful pedestal-placing model of Mother.

Albüm
Variety: Merto&#287;lu&#8217;s calmly tragic, unsmilingly funny film

Director's Fortnight:

Neruda
Variety: a stunningly inventive take on the function rather than the life of a writer

L&#8217;Économie du Couple
Variety: Joachim Lafosse's look at an out-of-love couple still forced to cohabitate explores that dynamic cinematically

Well this ended up being a longer post than intended (thanks Variety for reviewing everything at once). Glad to see that Ma Loute seemingly isn't just P'tit Quinquin in different clothes.

Dont know if ya'll been keeping up with Cannes films, but its been fun reading this past week. The big critical favorites were clearly Maren Ade's Toni Erdmann and Jim Jarmusch's Patterson, and the big disaster being Sean Penn's The Last Face. There's actually been several quite divisive films in the past few days, like Andrea Arnold's American Honey, Olivier Assayas' Personal Shopper, and Refn's The Neon Demon. The Dardennes' The Unknown Girl was actually met with a bit of a shrug, a rare misfire for the duo that seems to win something at Cannes with every new film. Xavier Dolan's new film was largely hated, but even that film has some defenders. The same cannot be said for Sean Penn's latest film, The Last Face, which...I mean, I cant find a single even slightly postive review of. The big disaster of the year's competition slate, even surpassing the low of Gus Van Sant's Sea of Trees' Screen Jury Grid rating a year ago. A 13-year low!

1240812_Cannes-2016-jury-grid-d10.jpg

Still to come are two of the ones Im most personally interested in, a psychological thriller starring Isabelle Huppert by Showgirls director himself, Paul Verhoeven. Finally, coming in under the wire, Asghar "A Separation best film of the decade not named Fury Road" Farhadi's new drama called the Salesman. Surely, these will be good, cuz after these last few days, they need to be!

nice to see the jarmusch movie was a hit

sean penn got rekt

the reviews for neon demon on rotten tomatoes are pretty much exactly what i expected

Peru

The Screen Jury is a bit of a mess that doesn't necessarily represent critical consensus but yeah, everyone - everyone- hates The Last Face.

In regards to The Neon Demon reception

Didn't hate it, but I will always cherish the closing dedication, &#8220;For Liv,&#8221; being met with a cry of &#8220;Fuck you Liv!&#8221;
Liv is Refn's wife. Pretty mean but I laughed.

There's been a lot of boos this year, but that was my favorite. Some people hated The Neon Demon so much, that when the tribute to Refn's wife came up, they booed her too!

Of course, this is all part of Refn's plan. Slick, provocative, divisive movies are his calling card now. He's like if Fight Club was a person, as David Ehrlich said. I've seen as many five star reviews as one star reviews for that movie, but I fuckin' hated Only God Forgives so...

Ridley327

You star in one incomprehensible Terrence Malick section, and you think you can make anything with voiceovers and out of focus handheld shots.

Penn is your Facebook friend who keeps posting photos of himself smiling with black children. This is the album that drives you to block him

The Last Face is Beasts of No Nation rewritten for white people by Nicholas Sparks. No wonder Penn and Theron broke up

Poor Jean Reno, saddled w/ the worst of the godawful dialogue in THE LAST FACE. On romance: "It is not grabbing. It is loving."

giphy.gif

Does Sean Penn have something on Hollywood as a whole?

Maybe I'm just grumpy, but I remain steadfast in my proclamation that Drive was a fluke from Refn.
It was a fusion of his pulpy and art house sensibilities so yeah probably. I wonder if he resents the popularity of it, would explain why Only God Forgives feels like a giant middle finger.

Ridley327

Another fascinatingly misjudged scene has a white character revealing she&#8217;s also slept with Bardem and is, shock, HIV positive. The ongoing issue of HIV in Africa is only raised to create romantic tension between the two white leads (we get to see them test each other and nervously wait for the results!) and it&#8217;s one of the film&#8217;s most heinous mis-steps.

Can they take Penn's awards back now?

Man I really like Sean Penn as an actor and I thought he might show promise as a director after into the wild but lmao his movie getting shitted on so bad.

some really interesting stuff in here. mostly looking forward to new verhoeven, nichols and chan wook park.

jarmusch movie could be good too. though i thought his vampire one was meh.

edit: how they gonna call bardem white?

Can they take Penn's awards back now?

Love how all the black people the story should be able are just window dressing and shock value anecdotes.

white helicopter pilot: &#8220;You know that girl I was dancing with? She watched her sister get raped to death and she was raped as well!&#8221;

There's a 360-shot of Bardem and Theron arguing as a black amputee lays in bed in the background, like you cant make this shit up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom