• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The debate: Do you "pass" or "beat" games?

HAOHMARU

Ok, I'm not sure if this is a regional thing or not but here is the debate: When you finish a game, do you pass the game or do you beat the game?

I had two friends from California that only would talk about passing a game. When I asked them what level they cleared they were like, "WTF? Level, we finished the game!" I was like no, you pass levels but you beat games.

Is this just a West coast thing? I'm from the East and anytime me and my friends discussed things it was always about passing levels and beating games.

So, what do you say and where are you from?

bjork

I don't think I've ever used "pass it", but I will say "finished it"... I'm So Cal, and people around here do say "Shit yeah, I passed that shit, yo" when they talk about games.

But then, these are the same kind of people who would call time out when we play basketball, and go "un-times" when the timeout was over.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I don't see how you could misunderstand someone saying they passed a game... what else could it mean?

other options: Solve the game, Finish the game...

You Californians also say "smoke out" instead of "smoke up." It's OK, us East Coasters will bear the burden of intelligence, you guys just keep having a good time.

I'm french canadian and I say "passed this boss", "passed this level", and "finished the game".

GDGF

Soothsayer
You pass levels and beat games. You can also beat levels, and for the really old school, you can both pass and beat boards.

bjork

DJ Demon J said:
You Californians also say "smoke out" instead of "smoke up." It's OK, us East Coasters will bear the burden of intelligence, you guys just keep having a good time.

I don't say either, actually. Smoking's not exactly the brightest thing to do.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
he didn't say you californians smoke, just was referring to a term... unless you've never referred in any context to the act of smoking weed.

SFA_AOK

When I was a kid, some people I knew would say they "clocked" a game, I never used it though, sounded kind of stupid to me.

MoxManiac

I think 'passing' a game is more a term that casual/non-gamers use. Those are the only types of people i've hear say it.

MonkeyBoy

pass=only finishing the lowest requirements to end the game..
beat= the entire completion of the game, secrets and all..

MIMIC

Banned
This is just video gaming jargon. When your character receives another point on his life meter/bar/whatever, I call it a new "life" while some of my friends call it a new "man."

I say beat.

The thing there should be some sort of poll on is if you call a stage a "level" or a "board."

I'm 23, and it wasn't until a few months ago that I consciously recognized people calling them "boards." I and everyone I've ever gamed with has called them "levels."

MIMIC

Banned
ZootedGranny said:
I say beat.

The thing there should be some sort of poll on is if you call a stage a "level" or a "board."

I'm 23, and it wasn't until a few months ago that I consciously recognized people calling them "boards." I and everyone I've ever gamed with has called them "levels."

Some of my friends call them "boards."

Mugen

Banned
MIMIC said:
This is just video gaming jargon. When your character receives another point on his life meter/bar/whatever, I call it a new "life" while some of my friends call it a new "man."

Me and my friends always called it 1UP, basing on the original Mario I guess.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I say beat. I also say stage (not board). My girlfriend says clear (japanese style)

Kuramu

ZootedGranny said:
I say beat.

i've been calling them boards since the atari days (when it made more sense)

anyway, most people around here (NJ) say "beat" the game, but i never liked the phrase because it sounds like the game is an enemy or something. i "finish" games.

One of my net pals always says, "I won the game." or "Did you win it?" It always makes me think of a raffle or something.

I always say beat.

bionic77 said:
Some of my friends used to say they "flipped" a game when they finished it.
... FLIP IT!

Mugen nice av.

"I beat the s**t outta that game!" or more likely "I finished that game" clears up any confusion with "pass/beat/go long/or punched" my games.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Im still suprised at the whole "boards" thing. I still hear people on Live calling levels boards. Seems like such a dated word.

Cyan said:
California.

Smoke out is correct.

Edit:

Oh yeah, also its "101" or "5" rather than "the 101" or "the 5."

Who can guess which part of CA I'm from? ;)

Gah! Smoke UP! Not OUT! You get HIGH, not FAR!! :mad:

Tellaerin

In my part of New Jersey, it's like this.

First, I clear a level.

Then I beat the boss and go on to the next level.

If I repeat those first two steps about eight times, I beat the game.

:)

Top Bottom