• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Denpa Men 2 |OT| I'm in ur radio waves, watching you fap

Shahadan

X2uUqML.jpg

Let's do this ! Denpa Men is a RPG on the 3DS eshop where you have to catch little humanoids living in your wifi using the 3DS camera, and then send them to die in turn based battles.

jdzMCaV.jpg

qrHY9SO.jpg

Skip Denpa Men 1 even if you're still playing it, Denpa2 offers much more and is a better experience. No story lost either.

It's long, it can be challenging, it has many types of denpamen, a world map, towns, a colliseum, humor, pretty graphics, charming artstyle, it's a downloadable RPG, and it's only 9€99. And it's addicting/addictive.
Shut up and give your money!

Trailer

Reviews :

Everyone - "Fabulous!"
Gamespot - 8.0
IGN - 7.9 (lolz)
Price :

Eu : 9€99
US : $11.99

Available : Now!

I've heard of this a few times on Twitter and still not entirely sure what it is. Is the second one just a better version of the first?

I'm still playing the first one, currently at the dark ruins.

Planning to 100%! Will definitely buy DM2 next month or so.

Denpa Men. <3

Shahadan

I've heard of this a few times on Twitter and still not entirely sure what it is. Is the second one just a better version of the first?

It's basically a greatly expanded sequel. You still have to use your camera to search for DenpaMen in your house/somewhere and use them as regular RPG characters. They each have a color paired to an element, and some have magic.
You then start a classic RPG quest, with dungeons, battles, and lot of things to do.

I was really excited for the first one, but never finished it. I also grew to dislike the little denpamen and the whole flow of the thing.

The game was made well and all but I don't like the style.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'll get this sooner or later....just not now. Too many games coming out for the 3DS in less than five weeks.....

NewGame

Banned
I played the first one for a long time! Got up to the evil castle level 65+ thing and then stopped. All my Denpamen died, I couldn't find anymore after that and I didn't have the money to revive them.

I wish the game was designed a bit more... um... yeah. More!

Shahadan

I played the first one for a long time! Got up to the evil castle level 65+ thing and then stopped. All my Denpamen died, I couldn't find anymore after that and I didn't have the money to revive them.

I wish the game was designed a bit more... um... yeah. More!

You can import your denpamen from the first, though they'll be lvl1. This time they're cheaper to resurrect.
Also to find more you have to use your camera somewhere else after a time.

OMG Aero

I'm glad someone finally made a thread for this game, I've been playing the hell out of it since it came out and already sunk like 14 hours in. I liked the first Denpa Men but the sequel is pretty much a straight upgrade and is way better.
Here is the party I'm rolling around with at the moment. The white, blue and green/orange ones are my OGs from the first game (along with the hero).
ccQHKBr.jpg

The first game was also a "proper" RPG.
Well it was kind of an RPG-lite. In the first game you basically just selected dungeons from a menu, this game actually has an overworld, towns, and other non-battle things you can do like fishing and planting flowers.

Shahadan

I'm glad someone finally made a thread for this game, I've been playing the hell out of it since it came out and already sunk like 14 hours in. I liked the first Denpa Men but the sequel is pretty much a straight upgrade and is way better.
Here is the party I'm rolling around with at the moment. The white, blue and green/orange ones are my OGs from the first game (along with the hero).

Nice team :lol:
What power is the fourth antenna? that rainbow sun thing.

You might be able to help me. I just got the golden key and the dwarves in Toht village are telling me I have to open a golden door there. I can't find it !

zroid

Banned
Cool, thanks for making an OT. I'm going to wait for a sale or a decent gap in the release schedule (whichever comes first), but gimme all yer impressions!

Also... here's something that will brighten your days. You know how the Denpa Men are wearing spandex body suits?

Well... they're not. It's actually a thin layer of fur. Yeah, really.

a recent interview said:
Why do the Denpa Men look how they look? Are they actually wearing spandex, or is that just how their skin is? Or maybe you prefer not to think about those sorts of details!

MY: It does look like the Denpa Men are all wearing spandex&#8230; but, the truth is, they&#8217;re actually naked! Or at least, they have only a very thin fur coat. So thin that you cannot actually see it&#8217;s fur. I think you can imagine it if you imagine the fur coat of a Zebra, but thinner.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Will wait for it to be on sale. Looks good.
Also... here's something that will brighten your days. You know how the Denpa Men are wearing spandex body suits?

Well... they're not. It's actually a thin layer of fur. Yeah, really.
I'm going to keep thinking they're wearing spandex.

OMG Aero

Nice team :lol:
What power is the fourth antenna? that rainbow sun thing.

You might be able to help me. I just got the golden key and the dwarves in Toht village are telling me I have to open a golden door there. I can't find it !
That's a light element attack that hits all enemies.
I haven't even heard about the golden key yet, I've seen golden doors in the Port Town but I'm going through the Tower of Evil at the moment. To be honest, a lot of my play time is probably either grinding exp or fishing to get money for those elemental attack bracelets.

Shahadan

That's a light element attack that hits all enemies.
I haven't even heard about the golden key yet, I've seen golden doors in the Port Town but I'm going through the Tower of Evil at the moment. To be honest, a lot of my play time is probably either grinding exp or fishing to get money for those elemental attack bracelets.

Oh so I'm ahead of you, I feared as much...:(
No help from google either it seems no one is playing this or is still at the beginning :lol:

Edit : Found it, I'm an idiot!

KemoSabe

never cared abeout the first one, but since this is a proper rpg i will definitly try it out.
rpgs on 3ds are always welcome

Shahadan

Goddamnit I'm stuck again :lol:
Dwarves tell me to go northeast to fin the Grand Volcano and there is nothing that way.

d+pad

So glad someone made an OT for this game! I looooooooved the first (put 40 hours into it) and I'm already loving the second even though I've only played it for about an hour so far.

Anyway, I very much recommend either of these games to folks who like RPGs (although this one has turn-based battles) and fun, quirky games :)

DNF

Way better than the first one so far.
Could anyone please tell me how i pass the pyramid statues.
i think i missunderstand the japenese wiki because switching them in the directions from the jpeg doesnt work for me

OMG Aero

Can I play this without bothering with wifi spots and Street Pass?
You can ignore Streetpass but ignoring wifi spots is going to be a bit difficult.
If you only get Denpa Men from your wifi then you probably won't have a full team of 8 unless you can pick up other wifi networks from your home, and the game does encourage swapping around your active party often when reaching new areas to exploit weaknesses and resist the enemy types. You can get around this with equipment or by grinding but it is going to make the game a bit more difficult.
Without getting Denpa Men from wifi spots you can still get new Denpa Men from QR codes or by importing from the first game, but they always come in at level 1 (whereas wifi Denpa Men scale to your level) so they will either have to sit in reserve or be constantly healed in your party until they catch up.

Alboreo

Thanks for the OT! Excited to try this. I loved the first one, but the inclusion of a world map and fishing make this one sound even better.

This one has to be very rare.

:lol

Anyway, Dark Ruins + Dark Def 4 = Unbothered

Denpa Men 1 End Game Spoilers:
Now I've unlocked another three areas! And I thought my MC was a female the whole time, he definitely looks like one... OR MAYBE THEY ARE LESBIANS :0

You can ignore Streetpass but ignoring wifi spots is going to be a bit difficult.
If you only get Denpa Men from your wifi then you probably won't have a full team of 8 unless you can pick up other wifi networks from your home, and the game does encourage swapping around your active party often when reaching new areas to exploit weaknesses and resist the enemy types. You can get around this with equipment or by grinding but it is going to make the game a bit more difficult.
Without getting Denpa Men from wifi spots you can still get new Denpa Men from QR codes or by importing from the first game, but they always come in at level 1 (whereas wifi Denpa Men scale to your level) so they will either have to sit in reserve or be constantly healed in your party until they catch up.
I'll add that pretty much all my Denpas are from QR Codes, except for the ones I was forced to capture as part of the tutorial. Oh and leveling them up is quite easy.

Pangya

Been playing the game for about 10 hours now and loving it! I beat the first and the second is such a great upgrade.

Can anyone give a mini guide of where to find Room Parts? I have like 3 rooms so far and just got the boat. I'm feeling like I may have missed some Room Parts along the way.

Oh my goodness. I had almost forgotten that this was coming out and was reminded by this OT. Purchased the first game and really loved a lot of it's ideas (dungeon crawling and the "gotta catch 'em" nature of finding the Denpa Men via wif waves), but was overall disappointed in how little there seemed to be content-wise in the game.

I've put in about 6 hours into the 2nd game since purchasing it yesterday and I'm having so much fun. It would seem that the sequel has already fixed the vast majority of the issues that I had with the first one (there are real towns now!), as well as adding in features I didn't even realize I was missing (the gardening and fishing mechanics). Overall the game is just a really fun, slightly more in-depth RPG for the 3DS. And for 11.99 USD it's easy to recommend to any 3DS owner.

jackal27

Banned
Picked this up on Saturday! I didn't dig the first game too much, but I slogged through it until the credits rolled.

THIS game on the other hand! This game is awesome! For some reason it's really scratching that JRPG itch for me right now. Everything is prettier, the music is better, the gameplay is better, everything. I'm loving this game.

kubus

So happy someone finally made an OT! I finished the first game exactly a week ago and I loved it! Sad to see this game being overlooked by many. Haven't seen a single review for Denpa 2 either (well, I only found the one by Nintendo Life).

I'm gonna take a little break and perhaps buy this one in the coming days.

Denpa Men <3

Narras

Does anything transfer between this game and the first?

I only got up to "post" game dungeons.

Will I miss out on anything because of that or can I go into this game with a fresh start?

Does anything transfer between this game and the first?

I only got up to "post" game dungeons.

Will I miss out on anything because of that or can I go into this game with a fresh start?

So far as I'm aware, you can immediately transfer over your starter Denpa from the first game. And after clearing the first dungeon, or at least fairly early in the game, you get the opportunity to transfer over the rest of your Denpa from the first game. Of course, just like with Denpa received by QR codes, they start back over at level 1 without any items.

OMG Aero

There is a dwarf in the first game who gives you a completion emblem if you have at least one of every item in the game.
I read on Gamefaqs that if you transfer this into Denpa Men 2 you get instant access to a hidden room (it didn't say what was inside the room), but the post did also say that if you don't have the completion emblem then if you get 70% of items in Denpa Men 2 or beat a tough boss you can get access to the room that way.

Senator Soufflé;61038873 said:
Half the dungeon requiring earth/water resistance and the other half requiring ice resistance is pretty hilarious, right?

Just fishing for money at the moment, I like matching outfits for my entire team, which isn't cheap.
Frog (water) + Three Headed Plant (earth)

OH THE HORROR

Ain't nobody got for that, I'm gonna equi the run ring.

Senator Soufflé;61143261 said:
It is a good game. Though it's not one I play with my entire focus. It's "fun" grinding while watching something else, or playing after you've got some new Denpa after going somewhere new.

I tended to do that quite a bit when I played as well!

I tried doing the same thing with SMT4 the other day.
Not so much fun. lol

Top Bottom