• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Denpa Men 2 |OT| I'm in ur radio waves, watching you fap

Oh, hey! I've been playing the first one, trying to beat it... I'll try to do that before getting this. I heard this was much better, so that's exciting. The first is getting a bit repetitive.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
My coworkers worked on the localization for this and the first Denpa Men. Looking forward to dipping into this.

It should be a good break from all the monster hunting I've been doing. :D

My coworkers worked on the localization for this and the first Denpa Men. Looking forward to dipping into this.

It should be a good break from all the monster hunting I've been doing. :D

Wow, don't suppose you can say a bit more about this? Was it direct translation or rewriting etc?

The dialogue is great, the capture lines are hilarious and the sped up Hero voice is great too.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Senator Soufflé;61256485 said:
Wow, don't suppose you can say a bit more about this? Was it direct translation or rewriting etc?

The dialogue is great, the capture lines are hilarious and the sped up Hero voice is great too.

That's a good question. I'd have to ask them their process.

I was playing DM1 last night, and that silver octopus boss wiped my party. ARGGGGH

So close to the warp point, wasted two hours of my life. >.>

Shahadan

Played some more, shouldn't be that far away from the end. Still having a blast!
I should go somewhere to catch denpamen but I'm reluctant to do that in public :lol:

Played some more, shouldn't be that far away from the end. Still having a blast!
I should go somewhere to catch denpamen but I'm reluctant to do that in public :lol:

How many hours have you clocked in? I think reviews have said maybe 35-40 hours which is impressive really.

I catch Denpamen from the passenger seat of a car. It's really not practical but I don't have the guts to walk around either.

Shahadan

Senator Soufflé;61683921 said:
How many hours have you clocked in? I think reviews have said maybe 35-40 hours which is impressive really.

I catch Denpamen from the passenger seat of a car. It's really not practical but I don't have the guts to walk around either.

I'm currently clocking 13 hours but I have the habit of rushing through things apparently. Finished my first Twilight Princess playthrough in less than 23 hours while people reported 30-35 being fast, to give you an idea.
Also not sure but I think I'm on the second to last dungeon. I need one last "switch".

Will update the OP with reviews now.

I'm currently clocking 13 hours but I have the habit of rushing through things apparently. Finished my first Twilight Princess playthrough in less than 23 hours while people reported 30-35 being fast, to give you an idea.
Also not sure but I think I'm on the second to last dungeon. I need one last "switch".

You really must motor through games. I'm at a similar time and have only just beat the pyramid.

I must be taking my time, I'm at about 14 hours and only just got the boat :/

I'm really slow, I just got to the port town... place.

...I kinda wish I could find some yellow Denpas since everything in this god forsaken desert uses lightning-elemental attacks.

does planting ever become useful?

OMG Aero

I'm really slow, I just got to the port town... place.

...I kinda wish I could find some yellow Denpas since everything in this god forsaken desert uses lightning-elemental attacks.

does planting ever become useful?
At some point you can use up your flowers to get paint that turns your Denpa Men into that colour, but it seems like a long way into the game before you get to do that.

At some point you can use up your flowers to get paint that turns your Denpa Men into that colour, but it seems like a long way into the game before you get to do that.

yeah, i've seen that mentioned before, but i wasn't sure when i'd get to do it.

at this point the planting mechanic doesn't seem that useful. i've ground out some monkey emblems at the hunting grounds, but that's about it. i guess the watering mechanic becomes more important with different plants.

Shahadan

The painting mechanic becomes available before the second-to-last dungeon, so quite late. You may find paints before that though.

The last dungeon, by the way, is a nightmare :lol:
I'm near the final boss and still have not clocked 14 hours. Something must be wrong with me.
I've read that the final boss is a bit hard so maybe I'll have to grind. Currently my denpa are 45-49.
I must say that I enjoyed using denpamen found only in my appartment, save for an Ice denpa and a Heal All one I imported from the first game. It has been quite a challenge at times with that restriction, and a lot of rage/fun :lol:

I am stuck in the digitoll cave area, trying to grind. My men are in the level-15 range, and having a hard time beating the burned corn guys.

Any advice aside from grinding? I don't think I've beat the whole ocean tunnel yet, either.

ZenaxPure

I didn't realize this was a thing, I feel really out of the loop.

So I have a question. I have the first and made it all the way the Ice dungeon but I pretty much quit playing because the whole structure of party members/combat. I thought it was interesting to tie one attack per party member but at the same time I basically got to a point where I wanted to switch my party around but my only option for new people was to grind them up all the way from level 1 which I really had no interest in doing.

How are things like that handled in this game? Having to level another dude from scratch just to get someone with an attack I was going to use in one dungeon was pretty much a huge deal breaker for me.

Shahadan

I didn't realize this was a thing, I feel really out of the loop.

So I have a question. I have the first and made it all the way the Ice dungeon but I pretty much quit playing because the whole structure of party members/combat. I thought it was interesting to tie one attack per party member but at the same time I basically got to a point where I wanted to switch my party around but my only option for new people was to grind them up all the way from level 1 which I really had no interest in doing.

How are things like that handled in this game? Having to level another dude from scratch just to get someone with an attack I was going to use in one dungeon was pretty much a huge deal breaker for me.

Huh... you just have to catch denpa men somewhere else. Your house will eventually give you always the same shit denpa.
They don't come at level 1, only QR codes ones do

ZenaxPure

Huh... you just have to catch denpa men somewhere else. Your house will eventually give you always the same shit denpa.
They don't come at level 1, only QR codes ones do

I didn't have access to other places to catch them, still don't. QR codes were pretty much the only way for me to build a varied team. No joke only one of the guys from my wifi network had an attack, and then 2 pairs of 2 had the same buff/debuff ability (one being group wide one being not).

I literally just checked to make sure but when I go to catch some my Hero just tells me to go somewhere else irl. I seriously had the worst luck ever getting dudes and it made the game a pain.

Shahadan

I didn't have access to other places to catch them, still don't. QR codes were pretty much the only way for me to build a varied team. No joke only one of the guys from my wifi network had an attack, and then 2 pairs of 2 had the same buff/debuff ability (one being group wide one being not).

I literally just checked to make sure but when I go to catch some my Hero just tells me to go somewhere else irl. I seriously had the worst luck ever getting dudes and it made the game a pain.

Well in that case you could still catch a lot of QR codes denpa men at the beginning (it's possible immediately in 2) and they'll level up with you while in the denpa house. Just make sure to not use them while on the world map or if they die after a battle they won't come back.
Also I don't know if they changed anything but in 2 I was able to catch a lot more and more various denpa than in the first game in my apartment.

You can also import Denpas from the first game.

Shahadan

Finished it today, will play again!
Apparently there are a few secret bosses and I should work on not getting my ass spanked at the colosseum.

TEJ

I have a few questions.

Do you get more options to get denpa men? When I played the demo of the first I only got a limited amount that never changed.

Does this game have permadeath? I hate that.

Can you create your own denpa men or are you forced to use what the game gives you?

Shahadan

I have a few questions.

Do you get more options to get denpa men? When I played the demo of the first I only got a limited amount that never changed.

Can you create your own denpa men or are you forced to use what the game gives you?

You have to catch denpas in other real life places, since you'll get the same ones in your house. If your house is big, you could try other rooms, I guess. Sometimes after leveling a bit, new ones (but only 2 or 3) appeared at my place though.

Your dead denpas can be brought back at the village. Only those you get via QR codes are lost forever when they die.

You can get more via QR codes on the net, or someone can generate a QR from their own denpas, you'll get them at lvl 1 though.

What was your "final" game time then?

Around 15 hours in the end, but some are at half the game at that point.

d+pad

I have a few questions.

Hey there, TEJ! I'll do my best to answer your questions:

1. Basically, you'll get more options (i.e., find new Denpa men) if you leave your home or wherever you usually tend to search for them. The ones you're finding right now in your home, for instance, will never change -- they'll always be the same. So, take your 3DS with you when you go to school or work and try scanning for them in new locations.

One tactic that has worked well for me: scanning for Denpa men while in a car (preferably not while YOU are driving, of course--LOL). You'll be amazed at how many pop up as you pass by buildings, etc.

2. There isn't permadeath in this game. That said, some Denpa men (ones you've added to your game by scanning QR codes) can't be revived in the town's shrine after they've died. So, if you can't remember where you found their QR codes, you pretty much lose access to them (if that makes sense).

3. You can't make your own Denpa men, sadly. You should be able to acquire whatever skills, etc., you could need or want, though, by scanning Denpa Men QR codes found on the Internet. The good news here is that in the sequel this can be done nearly from the start (in the first game, you had to get a few hours into the game).

Actually, I think this would be the best option for you--find some QR codes on the Internet and scan them so you can build the party you need/want. Then you won't have to worry about the limited number of Denpa men around your home, etc.

I'll share a few here in a bit, if that would be helpful...

So I downloaded the Demo for the first one ages ago and never tried it. Yesterday I did and was hooked! Nearing the end I was sad that I had to propably start over when buying the game. Nope! The save transfers over! Awesome feature which I didn't expect. Now I bought the first one and played for like 3 hours.

Should I continue or buy the 2nd instead? Do the Men transfer over to the 2nd game (not that they are special, just LV 12 or so, but you grow to like them!)

Shahadan

So I downloaded the Demo for the first one ages ago and never tried it. Yesterday I did and was hooked! Nearing the end I was sad that I had to propably start over when buying the game. Nope! The save transfers over! Awesome feature which I didn't expect. Now I bought the first one and played for like 3 hours.

Should I continue or buy the 2nd instead? Do the Men transfer over to the 2nd game (not that they are special, just LV 12 or so, but you grow to like them!)

Denpa 2 is miles better. Honestly you should just play that one. You can transfer denpa men from the first anyway.
But since you already bought the first, see for yourself :p

Joonytoon

Denpa 2 is miles better. Honestly you should just play that one. You can transfer denpa men from the first anyway.
But since you already bought the first, see for yourself :p

Is it worth it to 100% the first game before starting on the second? I have thee final areas left to clear as well.

This game is so good and addictive. Where is 3DS-GAF???

Must find more Denpa Men on WiFi Spots, must fight more foes, must gain more loot.

Nose Master

Was riding shotgun with my friend the other day, and I demanded he pull over cause I saw a shiny. Got it, too :O

This game is spectacular. It's shocking that so little people know about it. I loved the first one, and finally picked it up. Kinda disappointing how the gardening system works, though. I thought watering flowers would eventually lead to being able to multiply them, but nope. I was gonna plant life fruits all day!

PS: Is there still no reason to keep monkey/boss emblems?

EDIT: Boo. I planted a Life Fruit to lure in a monster, got some jobber Ice Bird or some shit.

Riding a train is really great for getting new Denpa. And you don't have to move tooo much, because the view eventually centers itself. But you have to be quick nevertheless :]

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
hey guys, i dont know if there's still anyone around here but I purchased DM2 a month ago and I'm sinking my teeth into it. What an amazingly simple yet addictive game, surprisingly refined too! Anyway, i wonder if I could get some help about the Cave of Darkness 3's final boss, the Last Knight. My team of 8, all Light based besides one Healer and two Revivers, is all around 48-51 and the bastard keeps one-shotting everyone with the goddamned Guardian Rage. My gear is all medium-good, what should I do? It's incredibly frustrating to navigate through that cave only to be offed in two rounds. please help me :(

InertiaXr

Is this game suppose to be incredibly difficult? I'm in a dungeon under digitoll (when I went up to the surface the enemy up there wiped my party out in 2 turns) and just went down a level, and there are demon tree trunks that are 1 shot killing my guys. I just reset the game when I get wiped, I don't have enough money to blow 120x6 to revive all my guys every 5-6 fights. Do I need to put more elemental advantage work into my denpa men? I'm not sure I can do that however because the 1st level of this dungeon is sea slugs and sting ray things that I can handle with a shock and landslide denpa men respectively, but then there is some pig warrior guys that I have no idea what they are weak too, then the demon tree trunks on the next level I don't know what they are weak too either, but it's probably not electricity or rock...

I'm not sure if I've ever played a jrpg besides Pokemon if you even count that, are they usually like this? It's just taking me forever to advance forward.

OMG Aero

Is this game suppose to be incredibly difficult? I'm in a dungeon under digitoll (when I went up to the surface the enemy up there wiped my party out in 2 turns) and just went down a level, and there are demon tree trunks that are 1 shot killing my guys. I just reset the game when I get wiped, I don't have enough money to blow 120x6 to revive all my guys every 5-6 fights. Do I need to put more elemental advantage work into my denpa men? I'm not sure I can do that however because the 1st level of this dungeon is sea slugs and sting ray things that I can handle with a shock and landslide denpa men respectively, but then there is some pig warrior guys that I have no idea what they are weak too, then the demon tree trunks on the next level I don't know what they are weak too either, but it's probably not electricity or rock...

I'm not sure if I've ever played a jrpg besides Pokemon if you even count that, are they usually like this? It's just taking me forever to advance forward.
Denpa Men relies very heavily on elemental weaknesses and resistances. Most of the time a dungeon will be filled with enemies weak to one type or who only deal damage of one type, but then it will throw a curve ball by also including one enemy to specifically counter their weakness so you can't just roll in with Denpa Men of all one type. Despite it making the fights easier, you can get by without exploiting enemy weaknesses for the most part but if you bring Denpa Men that resist the types of your enemies or (if you don't have them) equip your party with elemental resist items you will have an easier time.

Alternatively, and these aren't really good options, run away from the enemies that are causing you trouble or grind. I can't remember much about the cave itself, but I specifically remember the surface enemies at Digitoll destroying me so I just ran away from all of them and continued forward.

Jinko

Just recently started playing the first one and am loving it, really neat idea with catching the men via the wireless connections you bypass, although probably frustrating if you live in the middle of nowhere (like me).

The QR thing is neat also but feels a little bit like cheating, wonder if they will bring denpa 3 over, neither games have been very popular which is a shame.

I guess westerners don't feel too comfortable whipping out their hand-held in populated area's lol. (there's a smutty joke in there somewhere probably)

Top Bottom