• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 'experience' NieR. Anything similar?

Zukuu

Banned
NieR is the worst game ever made. Why? It simply ruined so many other games for me, as I often compare them to NieR. The characters, the story, the OST, the setting, emotions while playing and in particular uniqueness are just SO incredible good, it's hard to appreciate other games for their own traits.
Now, I still enjoy many games, but in the end, I don't get the satisfying feeling I got after experiencing NieR and the unsatisfying desire for more of its kind. That's why I'm in dire need, of another game, that will make my thoughts tremble, leaves me puzzled and yearning for more and the same time.

NieR came out of the blue and I didn't really felt it when I started playing it. However, it took me slowly but unexpected. I couldn't stop thinking about it. I couldn't stop playing it. I couldn't leave it alone. SOMETHING just was magically wooing. In particular the story is a masterpiece.

I played many of highly praised "story/character driven" games throughout my life, like Bioshock, Planescape Torment, Chrono Trigger, Deus Ex, Heavy Rain, Red Dead Redemption, Portal, Gothic, Persona 3+4, MGS, Majoras Mask, Mass Effect, Shadow of the Colossus, The Witcher and many more, and while I really like or even love many of those games and some trump it in different aspects, neither comes close to the experience I had with NieR as a whole. In fact, only FF7 as a whole I'd consider to play in the same league for me. That game as well, has a great story, great characters, unique elements (at least back then), the emotions while playing and one of the best OST. Even the gameplay (NieR's only weak part) is top notch.

Out of this generation, I enjoyed NieR the most, Demon+Dark Souls (for its unique, refreshing approach to tell a story, the gameplay and atmosphere) and Mass Effect 1+2 (for the characters, the ability to "shape" the story and dialogue) the most. I'm a huge RPG fan, for a big part due to the ability to have good stories and deep characters (which I both currently miss in many (J)RPGs for instance).

Please help me out, I feel empty thinking about NieR and realizing that there might be another 10 years until I come across another ingenious game like it. No matter the genre, platform or age. I want a game that fulfills me on the same level.

Thank you in advance.

BadWolf

Definitely know how you feel, don't think there is anything else quite like it unfortunately.

On the plus side Drakenguard 3 is in development by a lot of the main staff behind Nier so all is not lost.

Zukuu

Banned
Definitely know how you feel, don't think there is anything else quite like it unfortunately.

On the plus side Drakenguard 3 is in development by a lot of the main staff behind Nier so all is not lost.

Drakenguard (while awesome for being unique), isn't on the same level as NieR. =/

I've read good things about 999, which I might give a shot after I've finished Dragon's Dogma.

BadWolf

Drakenguard (while awesome for being unique), isn't on the same level as NieR. =/

Nier was supposed to be called Drakenguard 3 at one point before they changed the name.

Its the same team (director, story, music etc.) so my hopes are high.

Zukuu

Banned
Out of curiosity, what did you honestly think of Nier's gameplay?

Enjoyable enough, but nothing I'd remember on its own. It's certainly NOT bad, as many like to make it out to be. However, if you compare it to the OST, story, characters and unique ideas, it naturally sticks out like a sore thumb, so that's where many (including me) are coming from, describing it as NieR's weakness. It's decent, but not special.

Tho, NieR DOES have very awesome and unique gameplay elements and mash ups, including many references and surprises. I can't tell you how speechless I was when I ran into the
text-RPG
-part x).

Killer7.

Shares many similarities with Nier. A sublime soundtrack, great story, engrossing ensemble cast, an lasting impression, and like Nier; publicly critised for its gameplay shortcomings.

Pick up the gamecube release and enjoy an experience like nothing else.

Oh yea, features some of the baddest mofos in a video game

stn

Hmmm...

1. Mirror's Edge - very unique game, has an awesome setting and a GREAT OST. Doing speedruns while blasting good music is quite fun. An under-appreciated gem.

2. Deus-Ex: Human Revolution - if you liked the first DX then you'll like this as well. Very good game, my favorite FPS of this gen.

3. Deadly Premonition - I used to own this but sold it, going to re-buy it very soon. I didn't play it much but it definitely has that "unique" feel and experience you might be going for.

4. Alpha Protocol - A poor man's Mass Effect. Need works on audio, visuals, and animations, but makes up for it with story, moral choices, and so forth. Play it!

5. Yakuza 1-5 - A great adventure game.

6. Demon's Souls - You've probably heard enough about it.

Zukuu

Banned
Hmmm...

1. Mirror's Edge - very unique game, has an awesome setting and a GREAT OST. Doing speedruns while blasting good music is quite fun. An under-appreciated gem.

2. Deus-Ex: Human Revolution - if you liked the first DX then you'll like this as well. Very good game, my favorite FPS of this gen.

3. Deadly Premonition - I used to own this but sold it, going to re-buy it very soon. I didn't play it much but it definitely has that "unique" feel and experience you might be going for.

4. Alpha Protocol - A poor man's Mass Effect. Need works on audio, visuals, and animations, but makes up for it with story, moral choices, and so forth. Play it!

5. Yakuza 1-5 - A great adventure game.

6. Demon's Souls - You've probably heard enough about it.
Played all but Edge (well and Yakuza 4+5).

I never got to play Killer 7 since I never owned a cube, but when it was released, I remember not being fond of the gameplay from the footage I saw. xD

Mhh, will look it up some more.

Top Bottom