• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fall of the House of Usher - Trailer - Netflix - October 12

Macattk15

Watch This GIF

Puscifer

Midnight Mass was awesome but thats up with these AI Generated titles?

Dahmer – Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story vibes going on here

jason10mm

Gold Member
Huh, my mom made me read a bunch of poe when I was younger but never read or heard of it. Guess I'll add it to my Kindle
How IN THE EVER LIVING FUCK have you read ANY Poe and NEVER EVEN HEARD of FotHoU?????? It's like his #2, maybe #3 top tale! I'll give you "quote the raven, nevermore" is numba one, maybe telltale heart vies with Usher for #2, but cask, pit, and murders in the rue are not superior IMHO.

There was a half decent "Sequel" to Usher by Robert R. McCammon. Worth a read for fans.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Just watched the trailer.....I dunno. On the one hand it does look far more dynamic and energetic than the last few Flanagan joints, but I'm worried that was ALL the action for this limited series right there in the trailer. It looks more gory than creepy, not a bad thing, but gore works for a 90 minute slasher film, not for a 6-10 ep series. I think it is gonna be 90% family drama/flashback nonsense and maybe 10% Carla Guigino carving people up. Some of the actors I'm not a real fan of either, they can overdo it. But others always deliver so mixed bag there.

Puscifer

How IN THE EVER LIVING FUCK have you read ANY Poe and NEVER EVEN HEARD of FotHoU?????? It's like his #2, maybe #3 top tale! I'll give you "quote the raven, nevermore" is numba one, maybe telltale heart vies with Usher for #2, but cask, pit, and murders in the rue are not superior IMHO.

There was a half decent "Sequel" to Usher by Robert R. McCammon. Worth a read for fans.
Generally speaking she gave me stuff like his poetry which I thoroughly enjoyed and I read what books I did read were in collected editions we had.

Thinking back to my Moms great taste, she put me into things like Alien and my favorite moments was saying she thought the Hitcher remake was for pussies, turning it off and then renting the original with Rutger Haur.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Generally speaking she gave me stuff like his poetry which I thoroughly enjoyed and I read what books I did read were in collected editions we had.

Thinking back to my Moms great taste, she put me into things like Alien and my favorite moments was saying she thought the Hitcher remake was for pussies, turning it off and then renting the original with Rutger Haur.
Yeah, I guess it depends on the collection for which Poe gets included.

And they remade The Hitcher???

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
The last 2 episodes were really hard to get through. It is very slow and we are just waiting for the show to be over because we see everything coming.

That's my issue with Flanigan

Everything he does is unnecessary long and each episodes could cut out 20 to 25 mins and it would be a better show.

Salz01

First episode was decent and had a good hook. 2nd episode kind of sucked and all the flashing rave shit went on far too long. Not sure if I’ll press on, might just watch the last episode.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Started watching this today. There is this sort of weird way that actors deliver lines in Mike Flanagan shows, I've noticed. It's not very natural. Maybe it's the dialogue itself? I'm surprised more people don't complain about it since it's not very natural. But I like it a lot. Kind of gives his shows a specific feel or voice.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Started watching this today. There is this sort of weird way that actors deliver lines in Mike Flanagan shows, I've noticed. It's not very natural. Maybe it's the dialogue itself? I'm surprised more people don't complain about it since it's not very natural. But I like it a lot. Kind of gives his shows a specific feel or voice.
He forces a lot of actors to go against their natural accent, I wonder if that is by design to get that artificially.

I wonder if he is deliberately trying to be kubrickian or what.

I also have noticed that. And I think it is the dialogue and how he directs them. I'm also a fan of it. Reminds me of the off-kilter way From Software NPCs deliver their lines. Not in the same tone as From, but in that it's distinct and recognizable.

I really liked it. However, the Trump references by Hamill were so out of place with the show. Best example of Trump Derangement Syndrome.

FunkMiller

I really liked it. However, the Trump references by Hamill were so out of place with the show. Best example of Trump Derangement Syndrome.

It was Carla Gugino who mentioned him, wasnt it? (the ‘you could shoot someone in Times Square‘ line), and its perfectly in keeping with the character. There are direct mentions of multiple rich people from all political classes.

Calm your tits.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

This was pretty good. I’d personally have prefer something that followed the Poe stories a little more closely, but by and large this was enjoyable. Both Gugino and Greenwood are fabulous throughout.

Last episode was the best.

Top Bottom