• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Final Hours of Half-Life 2

Mrbob

All those people who said Valve never announced a September 30, 2003 release date should read the first page!

Can't wait to read the rest tommorrow. Of all the games in development, this may be one of the most interesting tales of all.

Edit: Just saw this in your avatar!

HL2AV.gif

:lol

Damn, I want the rest to be ready now

It says he's ready to "come clean" -- is he going to say what many suspected, or is there something else we don't know?

For some reason I have a hard time believing he's going to say "We announced a September 30th release date but we were wrong. We weren't even close to ready then and got behind schedule" etc etc

Was it really because they got "hacked" or was that just a smokescreen? I don't doubt they got hacked, but was that the real reason for the delay, or were they just behind to begin with and used the incident as an excuse?

Bregor

Discharger said:
For some reason I have a hard time believing he's going to say "We announced a September 30th release date but we were wrong. We weren't even close to ready then and got behind schedule" etc etc

He's already admitted this.

firex

Discharger said:
Damn, I want the rest to be ready now

It says he's ready to "come clean" -- is he going to say what many suspected, or is there something else we don't know?

Was it really because they got "hacked" or was that just a smokescreen? I don't doubt they got hacked, but was that the real reason for the delay, or were they just behind to begin with and used the incident as an excuse?
Trust me, they got hacked... I downloaded that leaked alpha stuff a year or so ago (ran like shit on my computer at the time). Game definitely wasn't ready to go gold then judging by that build, but I couldn't see anybody at valve leaking that info just to delay the game more.

Newell says. "If Half-Life 2 isn't viewed as the best PC game of all time, it's going to completely bum out most of the guys on this team."

There it is right there. If HL2 is as good as the videos and articles make it out to be, its going to blow every other game out of the water this year. And, this has been a really good year for games.

Please God, let it be great.

Just finished reading the whole thing

That's crazy

Gabe still didn't give us a good reason why they didn't let us know before Sept 30th it wasn't going to make the announced date, but I'm just glad it's actually done now

snapty00

Banned
Uh...

On the one hand, the information of the article is very interesting. On the other hand, I could've done without this overtly melodramatic tone.

It's September 30, 2004, and Gabe Newell is looking to the heavens. "OK, what now?" he asks the gods above, wondering aloud how the forces of nature will next conspire against Valve.

Please.

snapty00 said:
Uh...

On the one hand, the information of the article is very interesting. On the other hand, I could've done without this overtly melodramatic tone.

Please.

I didn't even notice it was out of place, because that's how I think :lol

Everytime something good happens to me, I wonder how long until something horrible happens to balance it out

That said, good point

Hooker

Man, took me an hour to read and probably fucked up my whole day/night system (3:19 AM now, and need to get up around 8-ish :lol) but it was well worth it.

MY only wish is that this game won't interfere too much with my schoolwork and job :)

Andy787

Banned
Excellent. I rarely read anything on the "professional" gaming sites, but these BTG articles are fantastic.

HL2AV.gif

This is 100% truth.

Sean

Banned
I love these "Beyond the Game" types of articles. It is very interesting to hear what really goes on behind the scenes. The PoP and MGS2 features were great too!

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Great story, took me an hour to read too.

Damn my crappy PC and having to play it on the Xbox! *shakes fist*

Top Bottom