• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The First Berserker: Khazan launches in 2025; first 15 minutes of gameplay and ‘Unveil the Universe’ developer diary

Draugoth

Gold Member
First-Berserker-Dated_08-07-24-1024x576.jpg

via Gematsu

The First Berserker: Khazan will launch for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, and PC via Steam in 2025, publisher Nexon and developer Neople announced.

The companies also released the first 15 minutes of gameplay, as well as a new developer diary titled “Unveil the Universe,” which provides an inside look at the story from the developers.

Here is an overview of the game, via Nexon:

About
Khazan and Ozma, the heroes who saved Pelos Empire from the Berserk Dragon Hismar and the Dragon Legion. But General Khazan, falsely accused of treason, becomes a wretched outcast as he is condemned to exile beyond the empire through brutal torture.
Story

The First Berserker: Khazan is a game which adapts the universe of Dungeon & Fighter (one of Nexon’s globally known intelectual property), dealing with the story of Ozma and Khazan.
The player will become the hero Khazan, the ancestor of all Slayers and the one who defeated Berserk Dragon Hismar, and proceed uncovering the truth of his downfall within the empire.
Action
The First Berserker: Khazan is a hardcore action role-playing game. Dungeon & Fighter‘s frantic hack-and-slash style mixed with hardcore action: Khazan’s devastating battle awaits you.
Growth
The First Berserker: Khazan is an RPG with various equipment and perks to customize your own way of growth. You play as the protagonist Khazan, not only upgrading character abilities but combining different types of weapon and armor ability to match your play style.
Key Features
  • You Must Prevail – Survive the imperial forces’ relentless pursuit and conspiracies to kill Khazan, and overcome the harsh environments you encounter.
  • You Must Remember – You were a once in a lifetime hero that the history of Arad. Recall the forgotten skills of battle from brutal torture and slay the enemies that defame and stand against you.
  • You Must Reclaim – Find all your potential enemies, reclaim everything that was taken from you, take revenge. And regain the honor and glory that rightfully belongs to you.
Watch the footage below.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I dunno man, the trailer looked nice but this...
I know it's the first 15 minutes but it looks boring as fook, more Nioh than souls.
I don't know what I expected but this ain't it, it looks and feels like I already played it before for a lack of a better explanation, besides, those animations, Looord...Art style and gfx aren't nothing to write home about either...

While Phantom blade 0 has completely hooked me in with its graphics and art direction, this demo has done the exact opposite, there's no way I'd splurge 70 big ones on this, I suppose I'd play it via game pass for "free" but, yeah...

I aint watching that, I'm already in day one off the name, style, and first trailer.

I've skipped all the souls clones so I'm not burnt out on the formula thankfully!

I'm still in awe that Dungeon Fighter Online is getting a souls game. As someone who lightly follows the IP I am excited. It looks decent enough.

wizaga

Neo Member
When did they ever say it was a soulslike? Do you lose an item needed to level up upon dying?
I am just going by what I see in the gameplay video. And it really looks like just another souls clone (atleast gameplay wise). But your right to soon to judge the game based on just one video

Hudo

Looks alright. But I want a new first-person melee combat game, tbh.

Give me a new Dark Messiah with the or a new King's Field. I like both variations of first-person melee.

Švejk

Banned
This looks so uninteresting to me for some reason. Wukong, which I have not interest in either, still has me more interested than this. Can't put my finger on it.

Bartski

Gold Member
Weird choice for a preview rather than something late game like before. I hate how all enemies vanish in a cloud of dust, it makes no sense but overall looks dope and I'm in. I hope this is the optimization target, but I somehow doubt it will run like this on console.

Last edited:
okay, i'm hooked. only because i've always wondered what it was that drove the first berserker berserk (I guess i've sorta assumed that all the other berserkers were driven berserk by other berserkers)...

Bartski

Gold Member
There will likely be previews soon but I've managed to spend half an hour with the game today.

zhS7nn1.jpeg

There was the same prologue sequence from OP video available plus a boss rush which I plan to check tomorrow depending on the queue.

Buttery smooth performance. The game ran on some beefy AMD labeled PCs, looks crazy good. No idea how that will translate to console but forget about that choppy trailer of recent. Gameplay - very lenient i-frames on sidestep and large parry window - very responsive controls as expected. However, maybe because it's the very beginning stamina management felt rather punishing and there a mechanic where if you get hit with a strong enemy attack - you get stuned and can't move for couple of seconds when you most likely get your health bar wrecked. Likely skill issue, took me a while to get my head around the controls as I can't re-wire my brain just like that to dodge with x in a soulslike but I'm sure a lot of people are gonna hate that.

Overall I'm still in 100% and I'm signing up for the closed beta, the footage when your arsenal expands to spears and greatswords looked sick.

N30RYU

Looks like if someone just modded anime characters in a souls copy/paste game and called it a day

Last edited:

10v12

hmmmm...this actually looks pretty good. the most intriguing part is that it's not just a simple roll/parry then attack, but also seems that there are skills that use some sort of meter (the yellow dots). Cautiously excited.

Also looking at other videos on their channel, they got ONGBAL as one of the play testers lol.

10v12

There will likely be previews soon but I've managed to spend half an hour with the game today.

zhS7nn1.jpeg

There was the same prologue sequence from OP video available plus a boss rush which I plan to check tomorrow depending on the queue.

Buttery smooth performance. The game ran on some beefy AMD labeled PCs, looks crazy good. No idea how that will translate to console but forget about that choppy trailer of recent. Gameplay - very lenient i-frames on sidestep and large parry window - very responsive controls as expected. However, maybe because it's the very beginning stamina management felt rather punishing and there a mechanic where if you get hit with a strong enemy attack - you get stuned and can't move for couple of seconds when you most likely get your health bar wrecked. Likely skill issue, took me a while to get my head around the controls as I can't re-wire my brain just like that to dodge with x in a soulslike but I'm sure a lot of people are gonna hate that.

Overall I'm still in 100% and I'm signing up for the closed beta, the footage when your arsenal expands to spears and greatswords looked sick.
so did you end up playing the boss rush? very curious

Top Bottom