• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

duckroll

Wow, that was the luckiest final run for Hamilton and Vettel. If they didn't through with 2 seconds remaining on the clock, they wouldn't have gotten that last run where it dried out. Crazy stuff. Lol.

Ce-Lin

incredibly lucky WEB/HAM/VET all of a sudden stops raining and the track improves so very much and these guys jump form last to first, just wow.

Road

I think Bernie can improve his bestest idea ever of putting sprinklers on the track by also making the tracks dry super fast. Just a rollercoaster of emotions.

TCRS

Banned
ahahaha omg what a qualifying, I FUCKING LOVE SPA!!!

What a twist, not the first guy on intermediate, the last guy sets the quickest lap looool. shame for DIR he would have deserved the pole. But damn, still happy for Hamitlon :) he was lucky too, there were only 2 seconds left when he crossed the line.

fucking RBR lucky again. and Ferrari.. :(

Salamndar

Hamilton just pulled a rabbit out of the hat....but I doubt he'll stand a chance tomorrow, the RBR, Ferrari and Lotus seems more consistence through out the week end so far.

malyce

If Merc can keep it together tomorrow, they'll also have Monza in the bag. Should make for a great finish to the end of the season.

The fuck happened to Ferrari?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Same weather predicted for tomorrow.

If this is true and we will have this kind of sprays from 1 pm local time IT WILL BE GLORIOUS.

Wow. What a stunner. Spa delivers yet again.

Pretty happy with Lewis getting pole for a 4th consecutive time, though a bit concerned with Mercedes' dry pace; their race pace and wear looked fine on Friday, but the 1-lap pace was very lacking in Q2 and FP3 today.

Mercedes must be doing the rain dance right now, because it seems they have set up their car for the rain.

John_B

Awesome pole by Hamilton. Vettel must be getting annoyed by his limp finger.

Red Bull is looking really strong though. I doubt it will be on performance they will loose serious championship points.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Dry or wet, we may see first corner carnage tomorrow. Crashjean is in the middle of the pack :p

Our commentator is reporting that both Ferraris were underfueled today and they had barely enough of fuel to complete lap back to pits, so even if they had time for another fast lap, they would abandon it.

cmr-94

BSb-TshIUAAsrvP.jpg

Rosberg was pretty strong compared the other cars in the same condition, maybe it was a lost pole for him today.

If Hungary is an indicator how the new Mercedes can handle the tires now. I could see it will be a 1-2 for Mercedes tomorrow.

Risgroo

Just finished watching qualifying. Jesus that was tense! Praying for a Hamilton win tomorrow(and the next few races), he seems to be the only guy who can really challenge Vettel. Kimi and Alonso keep screwing up.

Pimpwerx

Just finished my recording. Amazing stuff. Spa remains my favorite circuit for this very reason. The variable conditions and high speeds always make for interesting racing.

I thought for sure Di Resta had pole, then Nico got within half a second with what had to be the most-committed lap of the day, and I knew it was only a matter of time. Nico grabbed it, then the Bulls. I didn't have live timing, so it was the NBC crew who hinted that Lewis was quickest in S2. When I saw he'd pulled close through bus stop, I knew he'd grabbed pole.

Lewis and Sebastien are really starting to separate themselves from the rest of the best. They're fast everywhere, and drive with passion. I hope Lewis can make it a fight to end this season. He's looking comfortable in that middle seat.

BTW, is it my imagination, or were Merc and RBR running race simulations in Q1? They were fueled up to run pretty much the entire session on inters. That was the first indicator to me that the teams think it'll rain tomorrow. Also, interesting comments from Mark on going slow to save his tires for that final dash. I assume Seb and Lewis did the same. Very crafty...and daring. PEACE.

Rosberg was pretty strong compared the other cars in the same condition, maybe it was a lost pole for him today.

He was the most impressive driver in Q3 without a doubt. The three ahead of him all passed him because they got the better conditions, he set his time while others were struggling.

Leunam

RiawUUA.png

cmr-94 said:
As F1 returns from the summer break, it really is a crucial time for the title contenders to close up the gap to Vettel infront. How long will the teams be prepared to work on their 2013 cars befor shifting their resources onto 2014? Spa, one of the most revered tracks of the season, should give us a good indication of how close Mercedes, Lotus and Ferrari really are to RB going into the second half of the season.

Deadman said:
As well as having the task of welcoming us back from the long summer break this year Spa will help define how the rest of the season will play out. Vettel is always strongest in the 2nd half of the year and he will not give this title away. If one of the chasing pack wishes to separate themselves and become a real challenger then they must do it right now or ze german will be holding up 4 fingers come November.

Addnan said:
Spa is without a doubt the best track on the calendar. It has the fast corners, long straights and incredibly unpredictable weather and as such am fully expecting another great race. The only thing that makes the 4 week break bearable is just knowing Spa is next. Plus the fun of the drivers market just makes this a little more interesting.

For the race let's hope for Hamilton to do better than he has been in FP1 and 2, not allow an easy RBR win. Lotus looking as a great as ever in the long runs, but really not in it to win with the qualifying pace. Which is unfortunate, but what you do. Ferrari still looking as bad as they did before the break. It was hilarious to see Montezemolo criticise Alonso for not being a team player.

2012 Race Summary

Pastor Maldonado let his clutch slip a fraction too soon and started his race before the lights had gone out, passing the Saubers. Grosjean made a good start and moved up to the inside of La Source, but in doing so, squeezed Hamilton between himself and the pitwall. The two touched wheels, both drivers losing control. Grosjean then speared into the back of Pérez and became airborne, crashing heavily into Alonso, missing Alonso's head by a few inches. Grosjean came to rest at the outside wall. Hamilton crashed into Kobayashi as well as Alonso after Grosjean's heavy impact. Pérez lost his rear wing from Grosjean's hit and touched Maldonado when the accident happened, making Maldonado spin. Only the latter two emerged from the crash, Kobayashi with a substantial hole in the side of his car. Kobayashi who had started on the front row for Sauber, pitted after the accident and resumed in last place. Once Maldonaldo recovered from his spin he hit Timo Glock after the safety car restart. Narain Karthikeyan's HRT spun off backwards and hit into the tyre wall late in the race after a wheel came loose. After starting the race in 14th, Felipe Massa fought hard to get the fifth place, ahead of Red Bull’s Mark Webber. Bruno Senna had eighth position secured but due to a slow puncture he had to make a pitstop with only four laps left in the race, dropping him to 12th.

Button, who started on pole, was never under threat as Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel fought from 10th to 2nd, ahead of Lotus' Kimi Räikkönen.

YPfuVWZ.png

[Click for Onboard]

XR8gX.png

Laps
44​
Circuit length
7.004 km (4.352 mi)​
Race length
308.052 km (191.410 mi)​
Lap Record
Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Renault - 2009 - 1:47.263​
Most Wins (Drivers)
Michael Schumacher (6)​
Most Wins (Constructors)
Ferrari (16)​

Previous Winners & Pole Positions

2012 - Winner: Jenson Button - McLaren Mercedes
Pole: Jenson Button - McLaren Mercedes - 1:47.573​
2011 - Winner: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Renault
Pole: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Renault - 1:48.298​
2010 - Winner: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes
Pole: Mark Webber - Red Bull Renault - 1:45.778​
2009 - Winner: Kimi Räikkönen - Ferrari
Pole: Giancarlo Fisichella - Force India Mercedes - 1:46.308​
2008 - Winner: Felipe Massa - Ferrari (After penalty applied)
Pole: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes - 1:47.338​
2007 - Winner: Kimi Räikkönen - Ferrari
Pole: Kimi Räikkönen - Ferrari - 1:45.994​
2006 - Race Not Held

2005 - Winner: Kimi Räikkönen - McLaren Mercedes
Pole: Juan Pablo Montoya - McLaren Mercedes - 1:46.391​

Video Highlights

Dangerous Classic F1 - 1955 Belgium GP

Footage from the 1961 Belgium GP.

Highlights from the 2008 Belgian GP.

Highlights from the 2012 Belgium GP.

Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill battle it out at the 1995 Belgian Grand Prix.

Highlights from the 1998 Belgium GP.

Michael Schumacher and Mika Hakkinen fight for position at the 2000 Belgian Grand Prix.

Changes from 2012

-The tyre barriers around the outside of Turns 3 and 4 have been renewed.

-Additional kerbs, 50mm above the existing kerbs, will be installed behind the kerbs on the apex of Turns 5, 7, 8, 9, 12, 13, 14 and 15.

GP Facts

-Spa was one of the venues for the inaugural F1 World Championship season in 1950. It has been the circuit used for the bulk of Belgian Grands Prix, hosting the race for 45 of its 57 runnings.

-Sebastian Vettel leads the World Championship after the Hungarian Grand Prix. This traditionally has been a point at which championship potential is assessed, regardless of the number of races that follow. Recent history suggests the leader after Hungary is rarely overhauled. In the last 13 seasons, only four times has the lead been relinquished. Michael Schumacher trailed Mika Häkkinen in 2000, Kimi Räikkönen was third in 2007 with Lewis Hamilton leading, and Vettel himself lay third in both 2010 and 2012, Mark Webber and Fernando Alonso respectively spending the summer break on top.

-Michael Schumacher reigns supreme at Spa-Franchorchamps with six victories (1992, 1995-97, 2001-02). He made his F1 debut at Spa in 1991 and came back to record his first F1 victory a year later. Victory in 2001 was Schumacher’s 52nd, overtaking Alain Prost at the top of the order. He refers to it affectionately as his ‘living room’. In 2012 it was the venue for his 300th Grand Prix.

-The 2012 Belgian Grand Prix marked the end of an unusual run for another world champion. Räikkönen’s F1 record at Spa prior to this saw the Finn either win or fail to finish every time he came to the famous circuit. With Sauber in 2001 he failed to get off the line. He had an engine failure with McLaren in 2002 and spun off in the final laps while dicing for the lead in 2008. He’s won the race in 2003-05 and 2009. His ’04 and ’09 victories came in uncompetitive cars that failed to record other wins in those seasons. In 2012 he could only manage third – which nevertheless means he’s been on the podium at every Belgium Grand Prix ever time he’s seen the chequered flag.

-McLaren share with Lotus the distinction of having won the Belgian Grand Prix at all three venues to host it. In addition to their 12 wins at Spa, McLaren have a John Watson victory at Zolder in 1982, while Emerson Fittipaldi triumphed at Nivelles in 1974. The only other grand prix the Nivelles circuit was also won by Fittipaldi, driving for Lotus in 1972, for whom Gunnar Nilsson (1977) and Mario Andretti (1978) won at Zolder, while Jim Clark (1962-65)) and Ayrton Senna (1985) triumphed at Spa.

2LRVfc6.png

Drivers Championship Standings

dd3tFA6.png

Constructors Championship Standings

1uggMgM.png

Fantasy Championship Standings

LYgvol4.png

Top Bottom