• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The future of Street Fighter...:(

Iggy from the madman's cafe recently posted this
-------------------------------
"According to Akiman's homepage, Capcom sold all the rights of the Street Fighter series to Capcom of America.
After Udon making the illustrations for CFJ, this shows even more the disinterest of the Japanese company for one of their biggest franchises. On the other hand, it may also be the only way for us to get new SF games in the future.
Still, was it REALLY necessary to do it on the year of the "15th" anniversary? "

http://www12.big.or.jp/~akiman/
--------------------------------

We need to start a CFE hype campaign ASAP!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Mr_Furious said:
So Capcom sold the rights to Capcom?

WTF?

Correct; they sold the rights to their american branch. So now, Capcom of USA decides when, how, where, and why to make a street fighter game, and Capcom's Japanese HQ needs to go through Capcom of America to get any street fighter game....

I think.

Culex

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
Correct; they sold the rights to their american branch. So now, Capcom of USA decides when, how, where, and why to make a street fighter game, and Capcom's Japanese HQ needs to go through Capcom of America to get any street fighter game....

I think.

Wouldn't that be good news for Americans, or am I missing something?

belgurdo

Banned
No problem to me; Udon can breathe some life into the sprites and promo art, and they can fix any gaffes in the plotline as is (if Capcom lets them that far into their development process)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
They probably had to use part of the budget that was allocated to them for the year/ decade/ whatever by the main HQ.

WarPig

How and why do you go about selling something you own to an overseas subsidiary you also own? Wouldn't you still own it either way?

The whosis on Akiman's website is real cryptic and stuff. Nice artwork, though.

DFS.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Maybe this is a good thing. Capcom Japan said they were making Street Fighter 4 like five years ago...it's not like we have seen any great new content lately. The Anniversary Collection was awesome, but that wasn't new.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
You never know; this could actually be a blessing in disguise. That, or SF will go 3D and play just like Mortal Kombat does now YEE-HAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!111

:(

I just hope this means we get an actual new Street Fighter game. It's still sad to see Capcom abandoning fighting games like this. Keep on making ports, though, guys. We can all look forward to SF2 on PS3 soon. :\

ShadowRed

Banned
Culex said:
Wouldn't that be good news for Americans, or am I missing something?

That also means that the games would be made by Americans rather than the Japanese Street Fighter teams. This could not be an issue if CoA hires good people, but more than likly they will hire Street Fighter fans and we will get 10 hotaken (sp) fighters as playable characters.

Lyte Edge

ShadowRed said:
That also means that the games would be made by Americans rather than the Japanese Street Fighter teams. This could not be an issue if CoA hires good people, but more than likly they will hire Street Fighter fans and we will get 10 hotaken (sp) fighters as playable characters.

What if this means that Capcom USA simply has the creative license to whatever they want with the property, and will still get Japanese teams to make the game?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i don't understand this business of selling a franchise to your own foreign subsidiary. could capcom of america in turn commission capcom of japan to develop it for them? :/

hm, i wonder if the maximo team could do a decent street fighter game. i guess there's never been a good western fighting game, ever. but the past can't prove anything about the future.

hey, at least they didn't sell it to playmore. street fighter: maximum impact. :x

and i don't care what's riding on it; i'm not spending a cent on the environmentally friendly 99% recycled material capcom fighting jam.

Lyte Edge

drohne said:
hey, at least they didn't sell it to playmore. street fighter: maximum impact. :x

That's too bad, actually. I'd love to see the Garou team tackle SF and see SF characters integrated into KOF 2004. :D

At least with Sammy and SNK Playmore, we still have new 2D fighting games coming out.

And then of course, there's also the chance that this news is wrong anyway?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
that'd be great if you could find the garou team. here's a place you won't have to look: the playmore offices.

Lyte Edge

drohne said:
that'd be great if you could find the garou team. here's a place you won't have to look: the playmore offices.

That's okay. The teams that made/art making KOF 2003, KOF Neowave, and Neo-Geo Battle Colliseum are doing a greta job. Even SS5 Special turned out okay, but it's more of a rehash to me than Capcom Fighting Evolution is. :\

CoA couldn't ask CoJ to develop the game anymore, right? There's no way the original devs can put a new SF together now?

The only hope is maybe CoA could hire Arc System Works. Millions will die if they were to hypothetically hire say, Dimps or Arika to do it. MILLIONS.

I'm sorry but this just doesn't make sense to me. I've worked for my fair share of Japanese owned video game companies that have U.S. subsidiaries and there's something screwy about this that just doesn't jive with me. Ultimately Capcom still owns the SF rights so this may not matter but I HIGHLY doubt Capcom JP would do such a thing as "sell off SF" (one of their most profitable franchises EVER) to Capcom US, for the sake of Udon. They most likely gave control of the rights of SF to the US branch for the various purposes being practiced (i.e. the comic series) but I think the Japanese office can and would just revoke that priviledge if they saw fit. Japan still calls the shots. Most, if not all, of the original SF crew have likely left Capcom by now but Capcom wouldn't be that stupid as to leave the genre they innovated or allow the U.S. studio control of SF, who's only fighting effort was the craptacular Final Fight Revenge.

thom

capcom of AMERICA!!!???

I SMELLS A SEQUEL Y'ALL!!!!!!!!WHAT? SORTA!!!

kthlu

It's amazing how bad Capcom has handled the SF franchise. Actually, they seem to have screwed up all their once huge hits: Resident Evil, Mega Man...

belgurdo

Banned
FortNinety said:
It's amazing how bad Capcom has handled the SF franchise. Actually, they seem to have screwed up all their once huge hits: Resident Evil, Mega Man...

Buh? RE4 is being well recieved and the only MM series that sucks is X-everyone loves Battle network and MM Zero. Or is this a post from some bizarro world?

Trakball

Banned
thom, I'm just saying. I had my fun with all the various SF incarnations over the years, but now I just want to play Soul Calibur. I really can't imagine getting worked up over Chun-Li AGAIN, you know? I'm 30+ years old!

Trakball said:
you know? I'm 30+ years old!
As am I and even I can see the potential greatness of SF utilizing the latest and greatest in today's technology. SF4 can be great and can even redefine what a fighter is with the right talent. The gameplay of the SF franchise has yet to be matched, in my opinion.

Trakball

Banned
eh, when you say "latest & greatest in technology" I think of SF 3D or whatever it was called. no thanks!

but hey, if SF4 was as good as Soul Calibur, then I'll gladly eat crow.

belgurdo said:
Buh? RE4 is being well recieved and the only MM series that sucks is X-everyone loves Battle network and MM Zero. Or is this a post from some bizarro world?

Resident Evil used to be the biggest thing ever. Part 4 would probably be more meaningful to many if they hadn't diluted the series with the so-so Zero, the so-so Outbreak games and the totally lame as hell Gun Survivor titles.

As for Mega Man, not everyone loves the Battle Network series and the Zero line is overrated.

I have a bad feeling Capcom of America is going to pass this off to some American developer and butcher the franchise.

Oh well, we'll always have SF Anniversary.

Zaptruder

Banned
How's 3D cel shading tech nowadays?

Maybe they could do super hi-res 3D celshaded models, then render them ala 94 technology... but this time making sure the sprites are high res and with super smooth animation.

They could go back and edit all the frames by hand as well (to give it a better drawn look), as need be.

But I think some people would still bitch heavily about that.

thom

Zaptruder said:
How's 3D cel shading tech nowadays?

Maybe they could do super hi-res 3D celshaded models, then render them ala 94 technology... but this time making sure the sprites are high res and with super smooth animation.

They could go back and edit all the frames by hand as well (to give it a better drawn look), as need be.

But I think some people would still bitch heavily about that.

All SF games as a rule should be built from the ground up on 24-bit hardware.

toohectic

IIRC... Capcom USA also made CE and HF, and HF is still considered to be one of the best SF to this day. So don't immediately assume the worst. If Capcom Japan isn't interested in continuing the series, at least they are allowing it to live on as opposed to just letting it die. Whatever Capcom USA comes up with couldn't be worse than Capcom Japan's latest installment... CFE.

Lyte Edge

toohectic said:
IIRC... Capcom USA also made CE and HF, and HF is still considered to be one of the best SF to this day. So don't immediately assume the worst. If Capcom Japan isn't interested in continuing the series, at least they are allowing it to live on as opposed to just letting it die. Whatever Capcom USA comes up with couldn't be worse than Capcom Japan's latest installment... CFE.

The difference being that CE and HF are just upgrades/tweaks to the original SF2, and the only new game they made was Final Fight Revenge. ;)

It's too early to panic and think that SF is going to be run into the ground though. Let's see what they do with it.

Top Bottom