• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The gaf HAROLD AND KUMAR hype thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
862220.jpg

HaroldKumarGoToWhiteCastle-photo_04_hires.jpg

HaroldKumarGoToWhiteCastle-photo_01_hires.jpg

HAROLD AND KUMAR
roll.gif
roll.gif

jig.gif

Kefkaff

Banned
When I saw the trailer for that before some movie, forget which one, possibly Girl Next Door, all I had to say was "What the fuck.. worst movie ever."

Mason

It looks mildly entertaining. I'm hoping it's gonna be funny; who doesn't love a good pothead movie?

Dead

well not really...yet
HAROLD AND KUMAR GO TO WHITE CASTLE

You're going to think I'm insane, or kidding, but honest-to-God this is one of the year's best films; possibly the best movie comedy about an all-nighter ever made (sorry Bob!). It's from Danny Leiner, the director of DUDE, WHERE'S MY CAR?, and plays like an R-rated second draft of that film, which, I remind readers, went from concept to finished product in under 7 months.

Harold (John Cho, of the second and third AMERICAN PIE movies) and Kumar (Kal Penn, MALIBU'S MOST WANTED) are indeed stoners looking to feed their drug-induced hunger pangs, but they're no dummies. Harold is a lower-tier employee in some kind of fancy office job, and Kumar is the son of a doctor who deliberately screws up med-school interviews to piss off dad. As the movie begins, Harold's obnoxious bosses conspire to make him do all their work for the next day's meeting, but Kumar calls and insists the two of them get stoned first. They do, and see a commercial for White Castle. Now all they have to do is get there.

Not as easy as it looks. En route, they will run into an escaped cheetah, a boil-encrusted redneck who wants the two stoners to fuck his beautiful wife, Neil Patrick Harris (amusingly playing himself, as a dangerously horny junkie), an escaped cheetah, more than one instance of gay panic (the funniest courtesy of VAN WILDER himself, Ryan Reynolds), goofy racist police, and much, much more. I never really dug the movie AFTER HOURS as much as other critics did, but I got why it was supposed to be appealing. This movie does it right, for me at least. Reminds me ever-so-slightly of how much I enjoyed ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING as a kid (haven't revisited that one lately to see if it holds up or not).

It's also a bit like BRINGING UP BABY, only with two guys in both lead roles. I wouldn't say there's gay tension between them (nothing so blatant as Ashton and Seann making out in DUDE), but they do bicker like a married couple. And Harold's love interest (Paula Garces) is very peripheral, more an object than a person. Kumar's true love is weed -- there's a very funny sequence that takes this notion literally and to the extreme.

Oh yeah, there are hooters. And profanity. And drugs. And really weird trippy shit that hits you from out of nowhere. This is an R movie for sure, not a phony one like SOUL PLANE where the rating's only R because people say "fuck" a lot.

Many of the jokes are obvious, but a lot are not at all so. Watch for the scene in which Kumar decides to urinate on a bush, and then must fight for his urination turf with a crazed stranger who favors that same bush. It doesn't play out quite like you'd think.

According to imdb, this is the first movie credit for the screenwriting team of Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg. Someone else hire these mofos now.

Danny Leiner is a mad genius who needs to keep making stoner movies. Seems his next is a black comedy about post 9-11 New York, starring Maggie Gyllenhaal and Olympia Dukakis. Oughta be something to see.

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=upsell_review&reviewID=VE1117924158&categoryID=31&cs=1

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/reviews/review_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000535988

THE CRITICS HAVE SPOKEN

Kefkaff said:
When I saw the trailer for that before some movie, forget which one, possibly Girl Next Door, all I had to say was "What the fuck.. worst movie ever."

Yeah! AND THAT MAKES YOU COOL TO SAY SO!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
The fact that the "Dude, Where's My Car" people have a hand in this makes me sketchy. That was one of the worst movies I've ever seen on cable.

Dead

well not really...yet
Musashi Wins! said:
The fact that the "Dude, Where's My Car" people have a hand in this makes me sketchy. That was one of the worst movies I've ever seen on cable.
dude, different writers.

Kefkaff said:
Yeah, and it makes you cool to criticize me for it :rolleyes:

No I'm just laughing at you because I visualize the scene in my head. I picture you as the comic book guy if you want to know. Or some Kubrick fan.

I would kill somebody to eat a fresh White Castle cheeseburger. They do not exist in FL. They're the most fantastic fast food on the planet. Even better than In-n-Out Burger.

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm looking forward to this movie, it looks to be funny.

White Castle is good for only two reasons, they're greasy enough to kill a hangover on the spot, and they're cheap. Otherwise, meh...

I really thought the trailer was dumb, but I'll probably give this movie a chance if it's anywhere as remotely funny as Dude was.

Trevelyon

"Forget White Castle, let's go get some strippers.........

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPP DAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNCCCCCCCEEEEEEEE"

"Did Neil Patrick Harris just steal our car?

Yes......"

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

This movie already rocks.

I laughed several times during the trailer so i'll check it out. I just hope it's not like alot of recent comedies that stuff all the funny moments into the trailer and there's nothing else actually funny in the movie.

I love Dude, Where's My Car

Sure, it's stupid as hell, but that's the charm of it. I don't think I've seen such a random movie in a long time. Who ever thought that 90% of that stuff would even happen?

Good stuff.

Pattergen

Only 5 reviews at rt so far.... BUT 80%!!!

"What could have just pushed the usual youth comedy buttons is instead a crafty spoof on issues from racial politics to American highway monoculture that belies its cover (and marketing) as only a dumb gross-out laffer."
-- Robert Koehler, VARIETY

"A blissfully silly, character-driven road movie with impressive laugh-per-minute performance specs."
-- Michael Rechtshaffen, HOLLYWOOD REPORTER

"You're going to think I'm insane, or kidding, but honest-to-God this is one of the year's best films"
-- Luke Y. Thompson, LYTRULES.COM

"This movie was perhaps a smidge away from being a blast. It IS, however, an entertaining yukfest."
-- Criminy Pete, CRIMINYPETE.COM

The bad one:
"A simple, brain-dead chuckler that might as well have been called Dude, Where’s My Burger?"
-- Joshua Tyler, CINEMABLEND.COM

LAME JOKE JOSHUA!!!

This movie will be funny.

=W=

I hate when reviewers make really stupid jokes or puns in their reviews for comedies. It makes me think that they have no right to be reviewing comedy if that's what they're idea of 'funny' is.

Musashi Wins! said:

You suck

Dude Wheres my car is hilarious. And i hate MTV/teeny bopper movies.

-=DoAvl=-

Pattergen said:
"What could have just pushed the usual youth comedy buttons is instead a crafty spoof on issues from racial politics to American highway monoculture that belies its cover (and marketing) as only a dumb gross-out laffer."
-- Robert Koehler, VARIETY

I had to read that twice to understand it.... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom