• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Makers - A series of docs about game dev w/ Kojima, Druckmann, Hennig +

Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences published "The Game Makers", a series of mini-documentaries about game development with big names from the industry. All ten episodes are available on Youtube.

What is it?
“The Game Makers: Inside Story” is a 10-part digital series that explores the unique process of storytelling, design and directing in the constantly evolving industry. Told from the perspective of 15 video game luminaries (behind some of the biggest franchises and influential indie breakouts) the series examines the choices and challenges faced in creating narrative for cutting-edge games and their iconic characters.

Who is in it?
Will Byles (Until Dawn)
David Cage (Detroit: Become Human, Heavy Rain)
Jenova Chen (Journey, Flower)
Ian Dallas (What Remains of Edith Finch, Unfinished Swan)
Mary DeMarle (Deus Ex series)
Neil Druckmann (The Last of Us series, Uncharted series)
Brian Hastings (Ratchet & Clank series, Edge of Nowhere VR)
Amy Hennig (Untitled Star Wars project, Uncharted series)
Hideo Kojima (Death Stranding, Metal Gear Solid series)
Matt Korba (King’s Quest series)
Jade Raymond (Upcoming Star Wars Battlefront, Assassin’s Creed 1&2)
Dominic Robilliard (Farpoint VR, Entwined)
Sean Vanaman (Firewatch, The Walking Dead)
Ru Weerasuriya (Lone Echo VR, The Order: 1886)
Kiki Wolfkill (Halo series)

The series is directed and created by Jennie Kong. It is produced by the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences (DICE) and Wonderstruck Entertainment in association with Beyond-FX and Blindlight.

Episodes:
1) on story development
G4I4tfU.png

2) on writing process
RbxnyQM.png

3) on character & emotion
EvIRlJU.png

4) on narrative design
17I1jkg.png

5) on structure
cpT4Bpn.png

6) on directing & performance
KB0cMQn.png

7) on environmental story
kiu5ZGS.png

8) on virtual & augmented reality
I06qlEu.png

9) on social themes
Duk3sL6.png

10) on the future of interactive
Xt0lqln.png

What does it say about this medium that the majority of these topics are about the directing aspect of games and barely anything about actual level design, control, player agency, etc. Of the creators mentioned, only Jenova Chen seems to value the uniqueness of this artform. I would include Kojima but not his post MGS3 work. I can't speak for the works of Ian Dallas and Dominic Robillard. The rest are a bunch of reject film directors.

stryke

What does it say about this medium that the majority of these topics are about the directing aspect of games and barely anything about actual level design, control, player agency, etc. Of the creators mentioned, only Jenova Chen seems to value the uniqueness of this artform. I would include Kojima but not his post MGS3 work. I can't speak for the works of Ian Dallas and Dominic Robillard. The rest are a bunch of reject film directors.

Do you also get pissy when a documentary on tigers doesn't also talk about lions?

Do you also get pissy when a documentary on tigers doesn't also talk about lions?
If the tigers are put on a pedestal as the height of wild cats, then yes. Also if this is about story in games, why would have Chen and other indies involved when they aren't exactly known for their storytelling.

stryke

If the tigers are put on a pedestal as the height of wild cats, then yes. Also if this is about story in games, why would have Chen and other indies involved when they aren't exactly known for their storytelling.

The only thing I poignantly remember about Journey was its storytelling and art direction.
Level design and gameplay mechanics were pretty minimal to me but he/TGC did a good job marrying it all together.

The only thing I poignantly remember about Journey was its storytelling and art direction.
Level design and gameplay mechanics were pretty minimal to me but he/TGC did a good job marrying it all together.
I didn't explain myself properly, yes journey tells its story wonderfully but it does so in a more hand free / unobtrusive approach where the pace was left to the players to decide akin to games like Dark Souls, Metroid Prime, Bioshock, etc. This is in contrast with games by other developers on this list who frequently take control away from players to indulge their inner Kubrick. Sure Journey has cutscenes but their duration encompasses around 2 percent of the overall game. Also, I remember the controls and the sense of freedom in Journey more than I do those cutscenes.

Maybe you should watch the episodes? I'm at the end of it. It's not about stories like in movies or books, it's about telling stories in a way only video games can do, like Journey did.

Ooh, thank you!

A lot of stuff here concerning story. It's weird there's not an episode on level design.

They do talk about this...

Edit: Mainly in "Enviromental Story" episode.

AudioEppa

I just finished episode three a few minutes ago. Absolutely fantastic. My love for video games is based around narrative that some of the creators in this bring to their video games. I'm going to watch this full documentary multiple times over I know.

I love Neil's "fun" line. Also that quote from David about how video games back then we're all about mastering the mechanics. But now it's about being motivated by story is great. What makes gaming fun is been invested in the storytelling. I can't wait to watch the rest of the series.

Maybe you should watch the episodes? I'm at the end of it. It's not about stories like in movies or books, it's about telling stories in a way only video games can do, like Journey did.

They do talk about this...

Edit: Mainly in "Enviromental Story" episode.

That's weird. That title makes it sound like it covers creating the environments and how they're used to tell story.

Top Bottom