• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Getaway: Black Monday screens and trailer...

59.jpg

53.jpg

102.jpg

72.jpg

73.jpg

77.jpg

99.jpg

97.jpg

http://www.blackmonday.co.uk/index2.php

The trailers in the Video section. They update every now and then with a new Making Of feature. I really liked the first one and this one is looking really nic eso far. It sucks that we (in the US) have to wait till next year to get it. It's coming out next month in Europe though.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Ok...this scares me, but why has Sony released like 10,000 action screenshots and like 2 shots of cars and etc? Somebody post pics of the driving portions!

IJoel

These screens remind me of the first Getaway's screens. Really great looking and not an even close representation of how the game looked.

i've noticed they added bike sections (like Vice City) but other than that, you';re right, they haven't shown as much of the driving. More action wouldn't bother me though, as i kinda liked the action/shooting sequences, despite the somewhat sluggish control. Reminded me of Winback. That said, i'll probably wait til this game drops to $20 before picking it up, like i did with part 1.

gtmax

why oh why couldn't Rockstar have licensed this engine instead of Render-crap?

This sequel looks very different from the first game. I too would like to see more of the city, driving sections.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
If the game is as good as the first one, I will be picking it up for sure. The game had some issues, but I totally enjoyed the game nevertheless.

aka

Neo Member
I've seen some footage of the game running. Graphically it looked pretty much like the original. I didn't notice any significant imporvements. The framerate was kinda jerky as well, but i'd say that was prolly due to it being unfinished code. Looking forward to it based off the fun I had with the original, but I can't say I was exactly impressed by what I saw.

I liked the original. IMO the driving was very fun, and graphics were good enough, although million miles away from the original "screenshots". Controls/aiming during on-foot missions was horrible... but I still somehow enjoyed the game overall.

Fix the aiming and controls and I will buy the sequel for sure.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
aku:jiki said:
Can we please get a map or something in this one? :(
The PAL version of The Getaway came with a fold out map while we got screwed over here in the states(map was included with the strat guide only). Give us a map too.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
gtmax said:
why oh why couldn't Rockstar have licensed this engine instead of Render-crap?

This sequel looks very different from the first game. I too would like to see more of the city, driving sections.

For one, there is a LOT more going on behind the scenes in a GTA game when compared to something like this. It isn't JUST about visuals, you know...

Secondly, "Render-crap"? Burnout 3 is one of the most impressive looking racers ever released and that happens to run on "Render-crap". The results vary depending on how the technology is used. DMA Design are not exactly known for their technical excellence...

Hermit

I liked how the first game had this really British atmosphere to it. Then again, the game itself sucked ass, especially because of the controls. Hopefully they fix that and retain the atmosphere. And it won't hurt the game if the developers have a look at some decent British movies (Snatch, etc).

Ranger X

dark10x said:
For one, there is a LOT more going on behind the scenes in a GTA game when compared to something like this. It isn't JUST about visuals, you know...

Secondly, "Render-crap"? Burnout 3 is one of the most impressive looking racers ever released and that happens to run on "Render-crap". The results vary depending on how the technology is used. DMA Design are not exactly known for their technical excellence...

Renderware may be one of the best PS2 engine maybe except the OMGWTF-powerfull engine that i don't know the name of that Insomniac/Naughty Dog is using.

The Getaway is only looking better because there's a bit more polys on the model (since there's just half the things going on-screen compared to GTASA) and it's having photo-rendered texture maps.

Most previews that I have read state that this game has exact the same problems as the original, so I don't think that this game is going to improve on the original

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
The first one was a LOT of fun, once you finished wrestling with the on-foot controls. A nice side dish alternative to the GTA series. The shootout in the police station was ace. I played Black Monday at E3 and like the slightly more advanced fighting, but not being able to control the camera a la GTA or Splinter Cell hurts.

Still worth a go-round, though.

I enjoyed the story and the onfoot portions of getaway alot but the camera and the driving portions i thought just flat out sucked.

decent game still tho.

aku:jiki

Defensor said:
The PAL version of The Getaway came with a fold out map while we got screwed over here in the states(map was included with the strat guide only). Give us a map too.
I know, I'm euro. The problem with having a map is that you don't know where you're starting out on it or anything, so it's absolutely useless. Tried using it once and realized that it'd just be a huge pain even if I did know where the hell I was on it. Checking a (physical) map every other 30 secs is something I certainly don't miss from the old days of PC gaming.

Hermit said:
And it won't hurt the game if the developers have a look at some decent British movies
What? I've got two responses.

A) The first game already felt like Snatch: The Game to me.
B) The developers are british. Why would they need to watch movies to learn how, um, themselves are?

Top Bottom