• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Grand Tour: One for the Road| Sept 13

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I hope this isn't cross gen.

Happy Joe Biden GIF by The Democrats

Legit going to miss these three.
My first memory of old TG (pre 2004) was a hazy run where he waxed poetic about the Bugatti EB110 and then blasted off into the horizon.

TG proper ignited my love and appreciation for cars that continues to this day and I’m happy to say I’m able to share it with my young son thanks to showcasing the specials and sharing a laugh.

Might actually tear up for this one.

simpatico

Gold Member
I was hoping for an open world modern London simulator where you play as Jeremy. Just trying to go about your day and make sense of it all.

I got into these guys at the tail end of 2020, both watching May's standalone shows and the shows with these 3, they helped me get through some trying times.

I remember watching Hammond on Brainiac way back in 2005 when they'd air it on G4, I also remember watching James May's Toy Stories around 2010, but only in 2020 did I really deep dive into it and watch Top Gear/Grand Tour.

There's still years worth of episodes I haven't seen but I like the recent years travelogue ones best and it's sad it's already over.

Hudo

At least we have a few seasons of Clarkson's Farm and Hammond's Workshop still ahead of us, afaik.

And May is also doing a new show about the great explorers.

Hudo

There is also a 4th season of James May our man in, which I read will be in the United States this time.
Oh, cool. I did not know that. I was a bit disappointed with "Our Man In India". Felt too scripted and rushed.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Oh, cool. I did not know that. I was a bit disappointed with "Our Man In India". Felt to scripted and rushed.

Agreed. It was okay, but not as good as Italy and nowhere near as good as Japan. The Japan series had me rolling in laughter! Hopefully the US one is on par with Japan.

Hudo

Agreed. It was okay, but not as good as Italy and nowhere near as good as Japan. The Japan series had me rolling in laughter! Hopefully the US one is on par with Japan.
Yeah! I have the same hope as well. The combination of James May and the US already sounds hilarious.

Icing on the cake would be a Richard Hammond cameo, lmao.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Yeah! I have the same hope as well. The combination of James May and the US already sounds hilarious.

Icing on the cake would be a Richard Hammond cameo, lmao.

I just saw a video of May touring Jay Leno's garage with Jay. I wonder if they were filming for May in the US.

CamHostage

Love the gang and it's a shame their time has come to an end.

This isn't a game though.

Nope, it isn't. Fun though to reminisce about the show while this thread lasts, I guess.

In related'ish game news(?), Amazon earlier this year signed a new studio formed by former Forza Horizon and Codemasters developers to make a new PC+console open-world racing game. It could be related to Grand Tour (based on a random-assed guess that, well, what else is Amazon going to make that's car-oriented?) Or it could be wholly unrelated in a brand new franchise.

https://www.amazongames.com/en-us/news/articles/maverick-games-publishing-agreement

We'll find out in 3-4 years...

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Parody account posted this I suspect 😂

I started it last night but wasn’t fully in the mood. Will come back to it today. Looking forward to it even if you know from the beginning what’s going to happen.

Last edited:

Fbh

Lol this is still on the gaming side?
Either way I enjoyed it. It's far from their best content but I think it works really well as a final special in that it both highlights why it's a good time to stop but also why these 3 guys have seen so entertaining to watch for so long.
I must admit I got a bit misty eyed at the end seeing something I've been following for so long come to a close. Their run of Top Gear will probably easily remain as one of my top 5 TV shows ever....and I'm not even particularly into cars.

RavageX

Im not a huge car guy, but these guys made them interesting and fun. I watched the whole series several times (I havent watched Grand tour stuff yet though) and one of my favorite episodes would be the Toybota ones.

I always thought carefree(for the most part) road trips with friends would be a lot of fun to do. Im glad things are ending on a good note. Sad, but still glad.

Sybrix

I started it last night but wasn’t fully in the mood. Will come back to it today. Looking forward to it even if you know from the beginning what’s going to happen.

This is the reason why i havent watched these guys since the start of The Grand Tour or the latter years of Top Gear.

Everything was so scriped and it was so god damn obvious, it just wasnt funny because it was so clearly planned, all the 'accidents' and 'funny moments' that are supposed to have happend naturally and it was so clearly planned, all of it.

I know that these types of shows only go so far with the organic material but when it becomes so obvious everything is scripted it ruins for me.

Clarksons Farm so far is so natural which is what makes it so great, but the next season being the 4th, i fear some things will start to become more planned and by the 5th season onwards it'll go the way of latter Top Gear and The Grand Tour, all the natural elements completely gone.

T8SC

images

Shame it's came to an end. The steady increase of electric cars and the inevitable increase of complaints because nobody can take a joke anymore has killed the show.

Thankfully all the old specials are still on iPlayer and Prime has the Grand Tour available. Just a shame there'll be no more. As shown by the revamp and further revamp of Top Gear, they simply weren't replaceable.

Obligatory - SPEED and POWER!

T8SC

This isn't true, stop trying to force culture wars into things where they don't apply, these guys have had complaints thrown at them for years, dating right back to the 2000s and they've kept going! Clarkson is just too old now and wants to focus on his farm, it happens, people age.

There's no way in 2024 the BBC would allow Clarkson to sit on an old Thai woman to get a massage in the back of a car.

I'm not forcing anything, I'm pointing out the facts that the advent of electric cars and a change in audience has helped towards ending the series, he even says the electric car introduction is the cause. Yes Clarkson is older but he's not incapable of driving a car and I'm sure we're the other factors not a thing, he'd continue doing what he loves, driving cars and clowning around whilst getting paid.

Top Bottom