• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Greatest POP CD's of All Time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really a secret, but when I think of pop I dont think of popular so much as a bunch of artists that assault my ears on certain radio stations.

fart

Savant
there is a certain popular american sound. that's probably what you're thinking of. however most music has additional character

The definition of "Pop" music has long since been corrupted. It today resembles more closely what is an actual genre of music; something that can be used to label a certain band or act's sound.

fart

Savant
i think it's ok if it's a genre, as long as one realizes that it's socially constructed and thus regionally specific.

MoccaJava

Banned
Christina Aguilera's "Stripped" is a fantastic album.

You can't just say Pop = popular and be done with it. Then you're lumping Celine Dion in with Nelly. Nelly could also be classified as rap, but then, what is Celine (besides crap)?
Pop has a distinct sound nowadays.

White Man

I use POP as a generic term that covers several genres. Basically anything that isn't experimental, too hard edged, long-formed, or anything that can't fit into the genres of jazz, classical, or the blues. POP == short form, accessible music.

White Man

I'm aware, but the pop forms are definitely different than the traditional types. Like, you're not going to confuse Bond with Beethoven or anything.

fart

Savant
i was going to say something but i caught myself. this is the stupidest discussion ever. i blame maf

Raxel said:
no ABBA?!

Damn. How could I forget? Actually, I was going to mention them, but there seems to be some stigma attached to ABBA fans, even if I am heterosexual. :)

But really, any ABBA album should be in this thread. My favorites are probably Waterloo, ABBA, and Arrival.

B00000768F.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00005CDNF.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00005CDNG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

A couple years back I went nuts and bought the whole remastered discography. A great, great, band.

Meier

B00005Y228.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

As mentioned by yoshifumi, this is definitely one of the best pure pop albums of all time. I dont see how anyone could listen to this and not want to dance.. perfect driving music.

A few other classics (excluding their greatest hit releases)..

B000006MVE.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
B000002GE7.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

B000002UD7.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
B000002LK1.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

snaildog

This is a bit random, but I've got 'The Very Best of the Beach Boys' and I love most of it; is it worth picking up other Beach Boys albums? Or do I already have the majority of their good stuff?

Dead

well not really...yet
Meier said:
B00005Y228.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

As mentioned by yoshifumi, this is definitely one of the best pure pop albums of all time. I dont see how anyone could listen to this and not want to dance..
yes

B000000XHA.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Beginning to end 70's pop rock gold.

B0000DJEMK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Leans toward the experimental side but still founded upon tried and true pop hooks for the most part. Best "pop"-based record released this year IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom