• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gunstringer |OT| Can An Alligator Ever Really Love A Lumberjack?

V_Ben

Banned
Buried and left for dead by his former posse, a skeleton cowboy marionette begins his journey of revenge, aided only by his gritty resolve and trusty pistol. He will track his betrayers down, one by one, and bring justice upon them. They will pay a mean price on their own turf, from the plains of the high desert, to the swamps of the bayou, to the east Asian mountains, down to the depths of the undead underworld. Nothing can stand in his way, nothing will stop him on the vengeance trail. He is...

UpHnd.jpg

5fS9k.png
Characters

gs.png
The Gunstringer

Your typical undead marionette cowboy, the Gunstringer is on the vengeance trail, hunting down his old posse who shot him in the back and left him for dead. He may look small, but what he lacks in height.... and skin... is more than made up for by his determination and his dead-eye shooting skills. As his puppeteer, pull the Gunstringer from his grave and guide him on his path to righteousness as he hunts down his band of betrayers one by one. Is no one safe from this gritty gaucho? Only you can decide.

wavy.png
The Wavy Tube Man

This one legged sky dancer is the first to meet his fate against the Gunstringer, and with good reason. Usually working outside car dealerships or gynecologist offices, the Wavy Tube Man was responsible for setting the plan to murder our puppet protagonist into flailing motion. The Wavy Tube Man never speaks, but instead responds with cryptic waving maneuvers. Is he excited? Angry? Is he just a blank personality? Only the Wavy Tube Man truly knows, and the Gunstringer aims to find out with guns blazing.

I shan't spoil any more of the character in the game here, stranger. Except for this one...

gatorjack.png
The GatorJack

???

What Is The Gunstringer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtYHFg18Rv0&feature=player_embedded#!

A game designed exclusively for Kinect, you are essentially a puppet master, with one hand controlling the ludicrous marionette, and the other controlling his gun arm. Shoot, punch and perform a variety of other silly things through a whole mess of stages.

Ok, I'm Interested. Wasn't This Once An XBLA Title?

Yep, it totally was! However, with the move to retail comes a whole heap of added value on top of the $40 asking price. The Gunstringer will be bundled with both "Fruit Ninja Kinect", and "The Wavy Tube Man Chronicles", which is about as stupidly dumb as it sounds.

How stupidly dumb? This stupidly dumb. Yep, it's a homage to Mad Dog Mcree.

See? It's on the marketplace RIGHT NOW.

Well, What Do The Press Think Of It?

They seem to think quite highly of it!

Giant Bomb said:
Twisted Pixel’s plucky, “let’s put on a show!” can-do attitude has never been as prominent as it is in The Gunstringer.

Joystiq said:
With all the chaff you have to swipe through on the Kinect, you can forget just how good it feels when something just works. That's exactly what The Gunstringer does: It works, and in a smart, slick way that feels simultaneously natural and fresh.

Destructoid said:
A great example of what talented developers can do with Microsoft's Kinect technology when they think creatively...Twisted Pixel's original characters and oddball sense of humor -- married with enjoyable gameplay -- add up to a special gameplay experience worth of your time if you own Kinect.

Game Informer said:
The Gunstringer proves that Kinect can appeal to hardcore gamers looking for fast-paced action and a great story. You won't find animal petting, unnecessary exercising, or a blurry approximation of yourself digitized in this game. This is a classic game design that just so happens to have motion control.

If that doesn't convince you, and let's face it, it probably didn't, Giant Bomb has a Quick Look EX, featuring Dan Teasdale, the game's designer

Info shamelessly pilfered from the official web site and xbox.com

Here's two images of Lloyd Kaufman from the game. Yes, you can unlock videos of him on a green screen. God damn it Twisted Pixel, you magnificent bastards.

PZrwL.png

Kh0X1.png

zorbsie

Played a bunch of this last night. I totally love it. I was really worried about difficulty, but there is a no-fail modifier you can unlock almost immediately. I was getting worried that it had no OT. Glad you put it together, looks good.

V_Ben

Banned
LiK said:
V_Ben made an OT for a XBLA game?!

ha-fucking-ha :D If I had a Kinect, and a 360 that didn't sound like a jet engine taking off, I would buy this. Let that be known.

U2NUMB

V_Ben said:
ha-fucking-ha :D If I had a Kinect, and a 360 that didn't sound like a jet engine taking off, I would buy this. Let that be known.

Install the game and your 360 gets nice and quiet.

V_Ben

Banned
U2NUMB said:
Install the game and your 360 gets nice and quiet.

Oh-ho-ho, not my one. Launch 360, given to me by my friend. I have to double the volume on my TV in order to hear it. Insanely loud.

V_Ben

Banned
FateBreaker said:
I think I'll order from Amazon in a few. I was kind of on the fence, but it looks too good to pass up.
If I were anything other than a student, I'd be buying a Kinect for this :D

Phonomezer said:
I already have Fruit Ninja, does anyone know whether or not it's on the disc or a code?

I remember the box art saying it was a download code. On the box it says "full downloadable game" so whatever that means:

TheGunstringer_BoxArt.jpg

I'm on the fence but really want to buy this to support original and creative Kinect titles... plus, I love Twisted Pixel. I had fun with the demo and it's only $40 with Fruit Ninja which I never bought when it came out........... hmmm.

Deadly Joker said:
Is there a way to shoot with your left hand?

I couldn't figure out how to shoot with my left hand in the demo.
There is an achievement playing in "Lefty mode" so I'm pretty sure you can. Try checking the options.

Game is fun, but I'm having trouble with it tracking my hand when I do the finger gun motion. The reticle is way off from where I point, but I think that's just Kinect being Kinect.

Riposte

Is this actually a good videogame? I don't care/dislike twistedpixel's humor(including the FMV stuff) and even if I liked it I would only care about how it plays. I have a hard time respecting these reviews, but I want to hear from a mechanic-focused GAF poster.

EDIT: You can't play without Kinect, right?

EDIT: Games like light-gun shooters and Eden are score games with an arcade mindset. Does this work that way?

Grisby

Nice OT. Bought the game on a whim today after wanting some more Kinect time (just got done with Rise of Nightmares.)

Not too bad of a price and Fruit Ninja seemed like a good deal. Also, I believe I can finish it before starting Gears next week.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Riposte said:
Is this actually a good videogame? I don't care/dislike twistedpixel's humor(including the FMV stuff) and even if I liked it I would only care about how it plays. I have a hard time respecting these reviews, but I want to hear from a mechanic-focused GAF poster.

EDIT: You can't play without Kinect, right?

EDIT: Games like light-gun shooters and Eden are score games with an arcade mindset. Does this work that way?

It's pretty basic but the mechanics are solid. The pure paint and shoot feels really good to pull off, and the controls work well. The only parts I've had some issues with are when two reticules pop up and you aim with both hands separately, but that might just be because the game throws a lot at you and it's hard to keep track of it all for me.

Yeah, you need kinect, and the game grades you after each level and ranks you on the leaderboards. You get money bonuses for shooting hearts when you're at full health, and you immediately lose the score multiplier(tacos) if you get hit while it's active, so it's based a lot on avoiding everything.

zorbsie

Ken said:
Is there any type of multiplayer in this?
You can play the game 2 player coop.

Just finished this last night. Amazing ending, totally didn't see it coming. Just Great stuff.
Started wavy man chronicles but there was this really annoying repeating gun sound in the background. Kind of bummed me out. I'll try it again today to see if it was just a loading issue. I don't want to download 2GB again.

Only finished the first set of acts so far but having a lot of fun with it. The first boss fight was pretty original and a blast to play. It feels like a platformer at times where you control the action with your hands. At its core, the Gunstringer is a basic paint and shoot while dodging obstacles type of game but it's done really well and provides a unique Kinect experience. Really looking forward to finishing this game. This and Fruit Ninja Kinect will certainly keep me occupied until Gears 3 is released.

Anabuhabkuss said:
I booted up the demo last night and was surprised to see The Paramount here in austin, TX. Looked TP up and sure enough, they're here in town.

I might have to get this just to help reward proper Kinect game development and to support local Austinites.

I had the same reaction to seeing the Paramount. I didn't get as much time with the game, but I've done the first few levels and I am in love.

Still on the fence about this. Saw one person on my friends list playing it and he said he really enjoyed it. $40 with a $20 trade in credit and a included $10 game I was going to buy anyway.......

I just finished the game and I have to say it was really fun. There were a few wonky parts that I had trouble controlling, but that was fixed by fixing the angle of my Kinect sensor. If you love the Twisted Pixel sense of humor then you'll really love this game. The final boss was awesome!

This is great. Simply great. I've only played a little of it now, but to anyone who's on the fence: go get it. Very charming and memorable to me already.

Grisby

I've been having some trouble aiming in this game but I think thats due to my Kinect not liking me sitting down.

Other then that this is great and a really neat experience. The way Twisted Pixel uses live action in this game to sell you on the marionette stuff works and is a lot of fun.

Yeah, they say you can play this game sitting down, but you really can't. I think you have to have the absolute perfect setup for it to work well. Otherwise I've just been playing standing up.

I just finished the Wavy Tube Man Chronicles DLC. It is funny to watch and listen to, but the game itself kinda sucks. I had a hard time getting it to recognize my hand motions. I think it is still worth it to play through the 30-45 minutes to see the funny story, though.

Ken

zorbsie said:
You can play the game 2 player coop.

How does that work? Do two Gunstringers appear or is it a Sin and Punishment style, one player character on screen while player two is just a cursor.

Crom

One person controls Gunstringer and a cursor while the other controls a cursor. It is a great mode if you have a girlfriend play with you. Makes them feel like part of it while you take care of business.

Top Bottom