• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

The KeA penguin's clearly based off the Super Service Day critter from Zwei II, but I won't deny this feels like they're ribbing us. It's a Trails stream after all, no surprise there.

Thoraxes

The KeA penguin's clearly based off the Super Service Day critter from Zwei II, but I won't deny this feels like they're ribbing us. It's a Trails stream after all, no surprise there.

I was about to mention Zwei II, haha. Hopefully they're still on track for a summer release date of that.

I was about to mention Zwei II, haha. Hopefully they're still on track for a summer release date of that.
I'm betting early September, a week away from Ys VIII's launch if they're smart, since that still fits into summer and is far away enough from holiday season releases which destroyed Xanadu Next's sales.

Thud

Yeah there is a zwei II plush you can give to KeA :p.

If they would have shown Pom'tto then you would have gotten Ao.

That turbo mode in sky games seems nice tho~

Fast crafts man's fastest craft becomes even faster.

Yeah there is a zwei II plush you can give to KeA :p.

If they would have shown Pom'tto then you would have gotten Ao.

That turbo mode in sky games seems nice tho~

Fast crafts man's fastest craft becomes even faster.

Richard
was already fast as fuck as is

*HEAVY BREATHING*

VYhonqS.gif

Oh this feels like "a priest and a nun walk into a bar" or Agate's elbow something fierce...

I'm betting early September, a week away from Ys VIII's launch if they're smart, since that still fits into summer and is far away enough from holiday season releases which destroyed Xanadu Next's sales.

Is that avatar who I think it is?

What? I have never heard anything like this, or even the mention of the saga having "phases", and I follow this kind of stuff closely. Where are you getting this from? Are you confusing it with the conclusion of
the Phantasmal Blaze Plan, after which Ouroboros will move on to the next phase of Orpheus
? We have no reason to expect Estelle, Joshua or Kevin to show up.

Oh sorry, I don't mean that there's an actual, official "Phase" like the MCU or anything. It's just that I internally always consider long form, planned narrative like Trails to be divided by two phases: one that piles up questions and one that answers them.

Toshihiro Kondo Cold Steel said that this game would progress the series in a major way, as well as starting to delve into mysteries like Ouroboros' motivation and the Grandmaster's identity, so I just automatically went "oh, so here comes the second phase".

Uhhh

Is this an actual stealth Zero/Ao confirmation?

Oh god what the heck

Oh god what the heck

Not going to lie, turbo for TitS is great news. 3rd is kind of a slog at times because I've grown used to the speed ups from CS and the Evo games.

Using this to tease a game that is already coming soonish while knowing people will take it another way would be asshole trolling tbh.
I'm in the Zero camp.
Hell, I honestly wonder if CS3 won't be forcing their hand anyway.

Tonton

It's just Zwei II teasing.
They already are releasing Zwei II, what could they still be teasing for it?
Besides, it would be incredible trolling to use a KeA figure to tease something Zwei related, they know people are gonna think it's Zero/Ao And they wouldn't want that if it's not that

Besides I think Brittany would have said something about this not being a Zero/Ao teaser if it wasn't
They've always been wanting to not give people false hopes

vkrili

They already are releasing Zwei II, what could they still be teasing for it?
Besides, it would be incredible trolling to use a KeA figure to tease something Zwei related, they know people are gonna think it's Zero/Ao And they wouldn't want that if it's not that

Besides I think Brittany would have said something about this not being a Zero/Ao teaser if it wasn't
They've always been wanting to not give people false hopes

Looking online, I guess the same penguin was also featured in Ao, but was pretty clearly labeled "Zwei 2 Penguin" when examined there, so... yeah... that was most definitely a Zwei II teaser!

(Incidentally, the Service Penguin is in Cold Steel as well, in
Millium's room at the Class VII dorm
-- though it can't be examined, so I guess a lot of you Kiseki super-fans probably just thought it was a reference to Ao no Kiseki. Which makes me sad, because Zwei II should never be overshadowed by a mere *Kiseki* game! Zwei II is the noble, you see, while the Kiseki series games are mere COMMONERS by comparison! Heheh...)

http://www.xseedgames.com/forum/ind...-steel-coming-to-pc-this-summer.29219/page-28

"its a teaser figure, for things to come" is vague enough that it could just mean Zwei, but saying teaser for something already announced is a little awkward. I will remain somewhat hopeful it means something other than Zwei II

Oreiller

"its a teaser figure, for things to come" is vague enough that it could just mean Zwei, but saying teaser for something already announced is a little awkward. I will remain somewhat hopeful it means something other than Zwei II
I guess they'll soon reveal the release date or something.
But yeah, didn't know this penguin was from Zwei...

preta

Oh sorry, I don't mean that there's an actual, official "Phase" like the MCU or anything. It's just that I internally always consider long form, planned narrative like Trails to be divided by two phases: one that piles up questions and one that answers them.

Toshihiro Kondo Cold Steel said that this game would progress the series in a major way, as well as starting to delve into mysteries like Ouroboros' motivation and the Grandmaster's identity, so I just automatically went "oh, so here comes the second phase".

It was Cold Steel II that Kondo said was the game-changer (which it was), not III. Granted, III is sure to progress the series significantly as well by virtue of being an arc-ending game. I also am not aware of him ever saying we'd learn about Ouroboros' motives as an organization in III, but he did say we'd get hints on the Grandmaster's identity. (Not that we don't have quite a few already...)

The series is 60% of the way through as of CS2, so I don't imagine that the beans will be spilled on Ouroboros' secrets too much this early. I imagine we've still got probably two arcs remaining - the next is confirmed to be Calvard, and I'm guessing that the final one will probably be Leman and Arteria.

Tonton

Sounds like it's still a longshot to ever happen without Falcom releasing new versions of it.
The problem isn't where the games are, right there Tom says the porting isn't the problem, there just doesn't seem to have enough interest in the Series for a game that basically requires you to have played 3 prior ones regardless of plataforms

The problem isn't where the games are, right there Tom says the porting isn't the problem, there just doesn't seem to have enough interest in the Series for a game that basically requires you to have played 3 prior ones regardless of plataforms

New platforms expand the audience though. The Cold Steel games seem to have sold better on PS3/Vita than SC and Third did on PC. And porting is part of the costs that Tom speaks about.

Psxphile

That being said, if Falcom released new versions (remakes or whatever) for modern platforms it could be the kick in their collective rears they need to fund a localization. Nothing hypes up a market like a new, updated version of something old.

Loz246789

Ignoring trails of cold steel for a moment, since it will probably still be a couple more days for the figures to become accurate, I've been keeping an eye on the sky games's sales on steamspy.

Trails in the sky fc has sold 287,591 copies (± 15,764), which is honestly pretty good. Interestingly, there have been 6,331 ± 2,339 players in the past 2 weeks, so some people are clearly still working through the game - I think the turbo mode update could be a big help in that regard. Players total, 198,058 ± 13,083, it's a steam game, shocking news.

SC has sold 43,410 ± 6,126 copies. This is a large drop off, and not ideal. BUT, I remember when the game first came out, and it was like thirty thousand tops? I think? Now there's probably a few people who bought the first game, and decided "might as well get the sequel at the same time", but it's still promising that the playerbase is still increasing. (Also, 3,391 ± 1,712 players in the past two weeks, which is a fairly sizeable percentage compared to the first game, and it's fair to say that these are committed players by this point.
...This is assuming that no one is currently replaying the game, but there's been a fair bit of new trails content recently, so super fans are PROBABLY busy.)
24,192 ± 4,573 players total, I can't remember the figures for when it first launched. I assume though that it wasn't as high, since it's pretty close to the original sales of the game. A game having almost 100% "played at some point" rate is pretty unlikely, no matter which game it is.

The third is at 14,470 ± 3,537 copies. Another drop off, but again at launch it was around ten thousand, and it honestly wasn't *that* long ago. 2,899 ± 2,006 players in the last two weeks, but the release is recent enough that I'm not going to put too much stock in it. Generally speaking, people are playing the game. Yay. 9,270 ± 2,831 players total, not too much you can really take from this aside from the current audience potentially either ready for zero, or ready to get ready in time for zero, if it ever happens.

This is all pretty long winded, but generally speaking whilst the figures aren't very good, they're also not completely dire long term. I have seen just as good games with worse numbers, unfortunately. I think given enough time (and an advertising push about the turbo mode update, COUGH COUGH), it's not infeasible for SC and the third's numbers to improve over the next year or so, especially now that the full trilogy is available. And the first game is basically a lock to reach 300,000 eventually, it's almost there.

Hopefully.

Thud

People can start with Zero. It's not recommended because you'll spoil some stuff in the sky series. The story in Zero-Azure also has more impact when you played the sky games.

Still Zero has plently to offer on its own. The investigator side by solving cases one at a time. From small scale crooks to the big bads. The many barriers to overcome with newfound friends!

Is there an apple ice cream equivalent in Zero for making money? Asking now because thats how I played the trails in the sky games

I remember that at some point in the game you can freely fish for Rainbow Trouts in
mainz mines
. It gives you a good amount of every sepith that you can exchange for mira.

I didn't personally do this more than one time for completion's sake, so I maybe wrong about this. I never felt that money was a problem for Zero, and that was for a 1st blind playtrough in nightmare.

Ascheroth

Ignoring trails of cold steel for a moment, since it will probably still be a couple more days for the figures to become accurate, I've been keeping an eye on the sky games's sales on steamspy.

Trails in the sky fc has sold 287,591 copies (± 15,764), which is honestly pretty good. Interestingly, there have been 6,331 ± 2,339 players in the past 2 weeks, so some people are clearly still working through the game - I think the turbo mode update could be a big help in that regard. Players total, 198,058 ± 13,083, it's a steam game, shocking news.

SC has sold 43,410 ± 6,126 copies. This is a large drop off, and not ideal. BUT, I remember when the game first came out, and it was like thirty thousand tops? I think? Now there's probably a few people who bought the first game, and decided "might as well get the sequel at the same time", but it's still promising that the playerbase is still increasing. (Also, 3,391 ± 1,712 players in the past two weeks, which is a fairly sizeable percentage compared to the first game, and it's fair to say that these are committed players by this point.
...This is assuming that no one is currently replaying the game, but there's been a fair bit of new trails content recently, so super fans are PROBABLY busy.)
24,192 ± 4,573 players total, I can't remember the figures for when it first launched. I assume though that it wasn't as high, since it's pretty close to the original sales of the game. A game having almost 100% "played at some point" rate is pretty unlikely, no matter which game it is.

The third is at 14,470 ± 3,537 copies. Another drop off, but again at launch it was around ten thousand, and it honestly wasn't *that* long ago. 2,899 ± 2,006 players in the last two weeks, but the release is recent enough that I'm not going to put too much stock in it. Generally speaking, people are playing the game. Yay. 9,270 ± 2,831 players total, not too much you can really take from this aside from the current audience potentially either ready for zero, or ready to get ready in time for zero, if it ever happens.

This is all pretty long winded, but generally speaking whilst the figures aren't very good, they're also not completely dire long term. I have seen just as good games with worse numbers, unfortunately. I think given enough time (and an advertising push about the turbo mode update, COUGH COUGH), it's not infeasible for SC and the third's numbers to improve over the next year or so, especially now that the full trilogy is available. And the first game is basically a lock to reach 300,000 eventually, it's almost there.

Hopefully.
Yeah, SC was around 20-30k during launch I think.

And yes, Xseed should absolutely promote the turbomode. Market it as a 'big update', put the games on sale AND, most importantly, MAKE A BUNDLE WITH FC+SC+3rd. (Complete your collection type that gives like an extra 10-15% discount when buying or something.)
I'd bet money that that would increase sales of SC and 3rd quite a bit.

Loz246789

Yeah, SC was around 20-30k during launch I think.

And yes, Xseed should absolutely promote the turbomode. Market it as a 'big update', put the games on sale AND, most importantly, MAKE A BUNDLE WITH FC+SC+3rd. (Complete your collection type that gives like an extra 10-15% discount when buying or something.)
I'd bet money that that would increase sales of SC and 3rd quite a bit.

Honestly, the bundle doesn't even have to have a discount. Just nudge potential buyers and let them know that the games belong together, and some people will blindly buy all three despite not really being interested enough to get through them all! Voila, Zero's localisation budget.
Although if a discount did happen,
and they did play the games, that would be ideal

People can start with Zero. It's not recommended because you'll spoil some stuff in the sky series. The story in Zero-Azure also has more impact when you played the sky games.

Still Zero has plently to offer on its own. The investigator side by solving cases one at a time. From small scale crooks to the big bads. The many barriers to overcome with newfound friends!

This. Zero for me feelt pretty much its own thing like Cold Steel, at least for a big part of the game. There are important parts of the game that are really enhanced if you play Sky trilogy, however.

It really comes down to marketing the game like it's not necessary to having played Sky to enjoy then.
Then again, I keep thinking that even if they have shown that they are perfectly capable of porting psp games to PC, the amount of work for Zero/Ao localization and translation is on another level.

Hopefully.

Well I remember that 3rd was at 7000 copies not so long ago so I'm happy that the number has been doubled.
Will be really interesting to see Cold Steel numbers. I feel a lot of the future chance for Zero/Ao will depend on this.

Oreiller

Hopefully.

If I remember correctly, SC sold around 3000 copies in its first week. It took a few months for it to sell 20 000 copies. I think The Third sold about 5000 copies in its first week.
Of course, Steamspy is not reliable at all for such low numbers and there are a lot of other factors to consider, but they both started really low and have grown quite a bit since then.

As a comparison, Steamspy currently puts Cold Steel at 9,785 ± 3,685 copies. Don't really know what to make of it though.

Top Bottom