• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Stuart444

So I finished Trails in the Sky FC today and started Trails in the Sky SC.

Overall, I prefer Trails of Cold Steel but FC was still sooooo goooood. The music is god damned amazing, the characters were all good
Tita is soooo adorable <3. Also love Kloe
, and the cliffhanger pretty much made me start SC today >_>.

I pretty much did Prologue + Chapter 1 on one day, Chapter 2, 3 and 4 on days 2, 3 and 4 of playing it. A Chapter a day, pretty cool really. Also got all BP and Estelle to level 40 so I think I started SC with the best possible start.

Decided to stop at Chapter 1, after taking on the first 4 side quests from the board. Any tips/things I should keep an eye out for?

Also, the flavour text in the chests is amazing. I've laughed out loud at a good number of them so far.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
You only need to have finished the easiest Kiseki de Pon level to access Star Door 14, so those are valid questions. Changing the voice actors for Anguis I and II wasn't so cool.
Well shit, at least the inverse-scaling HP/ATS quartz for beating maniac was useful. Nightmare for the tournament also gave you a nice cut physical damage by half quartz (which actually didn't get much mileage thanks to earth wall).

- Star Door 15 (
the uncensored version in the PC version is very relevant for the Crossbell arc
)
What was the censored PC content other than the couple of removed images you posted earlier?

(3rd spoilers hidden.)
But this isn't uncommon to Falcom's games in general, really. They've pulled this kind of stunt a number of times before.
&#9488;('&#65374;`&#65307;)&#9484; Only Falcom games I've played up to now are the Sora trilogy, Tokyo Xanadu, and a couple of Ys games. It was a lot less egregious in any of those games which it appeared in because it was on a smaller, more reasonable scale.

Psxphile

What was the censored PC content other than the couple of removed images you posted earlier?

From what others have said there's a whole sequence that takes place prior to
the girl being found
that can't be seen in any of the handheld/console ports. It's not explicit, but it suggests so much more about what the subject of Star Door 15 is going through.

Gu4n

Decided to stop at Chapter 1, after taking on the first 4 side quests from the board. Any tips/things I should keep an eye out for?
Your margin to get the highest bracer rank is 2 points, I remember. You really lose them quickly, so if you want to go for A Rank, keep an FAQ on your lap.

The PSP version only has the last 20% of the original door. In addition, I have translated the pre-release version of the door.

preta

Relevant to this 3rd discussion:
It's generally agreed upon that the other children in Paradise were nothing more than fragments of Renne's tortured psyche, correct?

Stuart444

Your margin to get the highest bracer rank is 2 points, I remember. You really lose them quickly, so if you want to go for A Rank, keep an FAQ on your lap

I assumed there was no Margin and you had to get all points so was using a guide anyway. Thanks though!

If it's like FC, I'm probably going to be wasting most days playing it simply because I lose track of time very quickly. And then I look at the clock wondering "... where did all the time go?"

I'm also far more hyped for the 3rd now after getting into FC/SC than I was when it was first announced. :D

zakujanai

Your margin to get the highest bracer rank is 2 points, I remember. You really lose them quickly, so if you want to go for A Rank, keep an FAQ on your lap.

Do people really do that for a first play through? I find following a guide takes the fun out of it, not to mention the risk of seeing something ahead of where I am. I settled for B rank (apparently canon but I will be returning to get A at some point).

Stuart444

Do people really do that for a first play through? I find following a guide takes the fun out of it, not to mention the risk of seeing something ahead of where I am. I settled for B rank (apparently canon but I will be returning to get A at some point).

When it's a long game where I may not have time for a second playthrough anytime soon, yeah. Doesn't take the fun out of it for me.

If I play through it again, I may not use a guide though. But I doubt that will be for a good while. If Zero/Ao comes out in the west, maybe then :p (or if I want to play all EN Kiseki games again at some point but having a full english playthrough from FC -> Latest game would be pretty damn fun I'd think)

Gu4n

I do, actually. I hate missing out on something. The difference between Japanese and English guides is that the Japanese ones are very sec and therefore as spoiler-free as possible. They're just "Go there, talk to this person, report back". The one I made for Cold Steel II is basically a translation of a Japanese one.

zakujanai

I do, actually. I hate missing out on something. The difference between Japanese and English guides is that the Japanese ones are very sec and therefore as spoiler-free as possible. They're just "Go there, talk to this person, report back". The one I made for Cold Steel II is basically a translation of a Japanese one.

Oh I definitely know the bitter disappointment of missing stuff, I just like to discover things for myself and get the outcome I've earned, rather than getting a perfect game first time. I guess I can understand people not having time to replay these though.

Actually while I'm here, could you (or anyone who knows) tell me whether your choice of
who to dance with
at the end of CS carries over in anyway to the next one please? I was very happy with my choice
Crow
and would want that reflected in CS2, but I'm on a perfect run replay so I'll need to do the same one again if it transfers. Thanks

Gu4n

Adding that link to favorites I assume it's 100% ap correct?
No. There are a couple of 'battle conditions' you have to fulfill for additional AP. I still have to add these. The point margin for the highest rank is 14, by the way.

Oh I definitely know the bitter disappointment of missing stuff, I just like to discover things for myself and get the outcome I've earned, rather than getting a perfect game first time. I guess I can understand people not having time to replay these though.

Actually while I'm here, could you (or anyone who knows) tell me whether your choice of
who to dance with
at the end of CS carries over in anyway to the next one please? I was very happy with my choice
Crow
and would want that reflected in CS2, but I'm on a perfect run replay so I'll need to do the same one again if it transfers. Thanks
There are events and quests that reveal rewarding information if you bring particular party members.

I don't know exactly what the clear data affects in terms of story. It might tweak dialogues slightly or NPC's remembering you from quests in the first game. Nothing noteworthy, I might add.

I used my clear data with Laura for both playthroughs, I can't say for sure. It's not like Laura was suddenly throwing herself in my arms or something. Just some personalised touches here and there.

preta

Well that got dark. Tbh though I actually have some trouble empathizing with the character up to this point because their VA in evo is so grating.
Be sure to look up the full version of the door. The pre-release version Gu4n translated is still much shorter than the final version.

So gaf I now have a copy of trails in the sky sc for psp, however have a 1st world dilemma. I finished fc when it first came out on psp and only remember the key highlights re
Joshua memory loss, they save 4 towns from a disaster/evil plot until the prince? Turned evil and u stop him doing a revival project. Then estelle confesses her love just as Joshua gets his memory back, drugs her and leaves. At key moments awesome harmonica track plays

Now I also did cs1 upon release and I'm super hyped for Cs2. Do I start SC now or adter cs2. Or do I redo fc after Cs2 at some point possibly next yr, moving on to sc2.

What say u gaf, also I have both on psp, is it with upgrading to steam versions? I'm more of a console gamer but loved cs1 on vita, as didn't have a ps3.

zakujanai

So gaf I now have a copy of trails in the sky sc for psp, however have a 1st world dilemma. I finished fc when it first came out on psp and only remember the key highlights re
Joshua memory loss, they save 4 towns from a disaster/evil plot until the prince? Turned evil and u stop him doing a revival project. Then estelle confesses her love just as Joshua gets his memory back, drugs her and leaves. At key moments awesome harmonica track plays

Now I also did cs1 upon release and I'm super hyped for Cs2. Do I start SC now or adter cs2. Or do I redo fc after Cs2 at some point possibly next yr, moving on to sc2.

What say u gaf, also I have both on psp, is it with upgrading to steam versions? I'm more of a console gamer but loved cs1 on vita, as didn't have a ps3.

Quite tricky this one. I first played FC on PSP and fell in love with it, but the OC versions really are the definitive versions of the game so I'd always say go with those.

In all honesty I think I'd recommend CS2 first since its so soon (assuming you're in US) and then play FC/SC on PC ready for 3rd next year. I haven't played CS2 or 3rd by the way so I may be wrong.

Stuart444

Speaking of FC/SC (specifically FC since I'm still working my way through SC), did anyone also notice the issues that result from widescreen? Namely, characters not disappearing when they 'leave' the scene (as in, they stand at the door, when they are supposed to have left - yeah I remember a scene exactly like that) and when a character is seen at the side of the screen but doesn't actually come into the scene til half way through it.

If the game wasn't widescreen, you wouldn't see the characters so I'd say these were widescreen specific issues. Not a big deal of course, just curious if others also noticed them.

Gu4n

The Steam versions are easily the most superior versions of the game out there. Especially with terminology/translation issues in FC PSP, I wholly recommend upgrading to Steam. Plus you'll be supporting XSEED's work on the series; consider it your contribution to raising the chance of Trails to Zero and Azure getting localised. :)

Speaking of FC/SC (specifically FC since I'm still working my way through SC), did anyone also notice the issues that result from widescreen? Namely, characters not disappearing when they 'leave' the scene (as in, they stand at the door, when they are supposed to have left - yeah I remember a scene exactly like that) and when a character is seen at the side of the screen but doesn't actually come into the scene til half way through it.

If the game wasn't widescreen, you wouldn't see the characters so I'd say these were widescreen specific issues. Not a big deal of course, just curious if others also noticed them.
Yes. Wide-screen wasn't really a thing back in 2004. ;)

Stuart444

Yes. Wide-screen wasn't really a thing back in 2004. ;)

Yeah I know, I was just surprised they didn't try to make them 'disappear' or do something to make it seem less jarring when they were doing the steam versions.

Like I said, it's not a big deal, I even got a few laughs out of it.

Also, the chests in these games are awesome. XSEED much have had a lot of fun making up quotes for them <3

edit: and yeah, I recommend going for the steam versions. they are awesome. Hell, you don't even need to use the keyboard (outside of using the steam overlay), you can play the game pretty much entirely with the mouse which I'm doing. Love the way these games control honestly.

Basically, get the Steam versions, you won't regret it :)

zakujanai

Plus you'll be supporting XSEED's work on the series; consider it your contribution to raising the chance of Trails to Zero and Azure getting localised. :)

Didn't even think of it from this perspective, even more reason to get the PC versions. Plus you'll get to see characters standing at the edge of the frame who aren't meant to be there yet &#128540;

Shahed

Does the Steam version of SC have proper controller support? I remember when they announced 3rd I bought FC for Steam on a whim despite having it on PSP. But I ran into issues when using a controller such as the camera spinning constantly and item descriptions going missing when opening the menu.

Does the Steam version of SC have proper controller support? I remember when they announced 3rd I bought FC for Steam on a whim despite having it on PSP. But I ran into issues when using a controller such as the camera spinning constantly and item descriptions going missing when opening the menu.

Yeah that happened when I tried using a ps3 controller as well for FC had to fuck hard with the settings to fix it I don't really remember what I did. I ended up buying a 360 wired controller and it worked with no issues for SC.

zakujanai

Dualshock 4 also works fine, used that for both.

SC seems to have fixed any controller issues that FC had. At least, I had no trouble using my Dualshock 4 with it.

Shahed

Yeah that happened when I tried using a ps3 controller as well for FC had to fuck hard with the settings to fix it I don't really remember what I did. I ended up buying a 360 wired controller and it worked with no issues for SC.

Dualshock 4 also works fine, used that for both.

SC seems to have fixed any controller issues that FC had. At least, I had no trouble using my Dualshock 4 with it.

Good to know. Thanks. I might end up double dipping on SC at some point, but it's 3rd I'm really thinking about!

Thanks everyone for the advice, gonna get cs2 first and will buy fc and sc on steam. Pity xseed are unable to bring vita versions over :( would instantly get them instead.

Young Magus

Thanks everyone for the advice, gonna get cs2 first and will buy fc and sc on steam. Pity xseed are unable to bring vita versions over :( would instantly get them instead.

Beside VO your not missing out on much.

They're mediocre versions of great games, so don't feel bad over it!

I wanna pickup the 3rd evo for the VO and Im horrible at waiting (first playthrough), talk me out of it Gu4n &#65377;&#65439;(&#65439;´&#1044;&#65344;&#65439;)&#65439;&#65377;

I'm playing through my 4th evo game right now, and honestly, I think they're worth it. The only thing that seems to be off is the balancing in the Sora games, but being the heavily story based games they are, it's not a huge travesty that they're a bit on the easy side. The fast forward button for battles is a godsend when you've played the games before. The music in the games overall turned out to be fine (plus, you can play with the original soundtracks for the Sora games). The character portraits are, by and large, better than the originals.

Nyoro SF

Don't the Evo games have fewer portraits than the originals?

Fewer portraits and they're much worse, they're essentially mass-produced faces. Big downer. I was debating it, but I don't think I'm going to pick up Zero and Ao Evo.

Having just continued my replay of Trails SC yesterday , the faces are just as good as I remember and are really one of the hallmarks why the games are so great. It's just not Kiseki without good character expressions.

jAoAVVF.png

The only thing I'd really want from the Evo versions is the battle speedup. CS really reinforced how much more I enjoy this battle system when it isn't hampered by awful pacing.

danthefan

Made it to the final dungeon of TiTS and I'm not sure I'm going to complete it. Have just played enough for now, might watch the end on YouTube or some such. Very enjoyable and I'll come back and play SC in 6 or 9 months.

Made it to the final dungeon of TiTS and I'm not sure I'm going to complete it. Have just played enough for now, might watch the end on YouTube or some such. Very enjoyable and I'll come back and play SC in 6 or 9 months.

It is a veeeery long dungeon, especially if you want to open all the monster chests, and it doesn't have the benefit of SC's finale of having interesting story developments at regular intervals. But - if you can reach the ending, I imagine you'll have a hard time keeping yourself from going right into SC.

Top Bottom