• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Express |OT| 5.99 on GOG now Go Buy It!

epmode

GuiltybyAssociation said:
Is there a consensus on what's better, this or Broken Sword? Which has the more engaging story? I maybe kinda sorta basically missed out on nearly all of these adventure games back in the day. It's not a genre that has really clicked for me yet, but I have a feeling that's because I haven't played the right ones. Both of these seem pretty cool, nice art. Wondering which I should start with.
Man, The Last Express is as far from Broken Sword as you can get while still being in the same genre.

Broken Sword is easier to get into since it's so traditional. Both are worth playing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
My impression after playing for 10 minutes (and "losing") is that the controls are pretty terrible. Frame-by-frame movement in the first person perspective in a samey looking environment is really disorienting. This is one game that would benefit from a mini-map for sure. The game is very interesting, though, so I will continue on.

Minsc

Gold Member
Is there a consensus on what's better, this or Broken Sword? Which has the more engaging story? I maybe kinda sorta basically missed out on nearly all of these adventure games back in the day. It's not a genre that has really clicked for me yet, but I have a feeling that's because I haven't played the right ones. Both of these seem pretty cool, nice art. Wondering which I should start with.

Start with Broken Sword, it's much more traditional and an incredible game, and with the built in hint system, you'll get through it without too much trouble. You get both the old and new versions if you buy from GOG if you get it there (it's available just about every where on PC and on every platform, Wii, DS, iOS - was free here for a short while, etc), but I played only the newer version and enjoyed it a ton, so I'd recommend that.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I ended up snagging both The Last Express and Broken Sword. Figure I gotta like at least one of them, heh. About to start up the latter right now, but I did play around for a bit with The Last Express and it seems interesting. Really neat how characters move around on their own little schedules. So many different languages as well, I like that.

What's up with Fraps though? Won't work with DOSBox? I was hoping to take some screens, but it won't capture anything. It's such a good looking game too. :(

Minsc

Gold Member
What's up with Fraps though? Won't work with DOSBox? I was hoping to take some screens, but it won't capture anything. It's such a good looking game too. :(

You probably need to configure DOSBox to use D3D or OpenGL for FRAPS to work. DOSBox has it's own screen capturing built in though, so you could also use that (google says ctrl+f5), if you use a front-end like D-Fend Reloaded it will let you manage all that stuff easier.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
emot-worship.gif
GOG

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Before I go ahead and get this, does anyone know how to get a disc version to install in W7? Even changing compat mode leads to an error.

Sorry for the necro bump, but I wanted to add that GOG did finally add the soundtrack (which Intrada used to sell as opposed to a file rip) for those who owned the game. It's also available for those buying it new too (duh).

Top Bottom