• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Meals Of Innocent Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
An emotional new ad campaign from Amnesty International asks its viewers to stomach a hard truth -- images of the last meals of wrongly executed American prisoners.

As part of an initiative to completely abolish capital punishment, the influential human rights group has highlighted the unintended consequences of imposing the death penalty by focusing on a handful of prisoners who were eventually presumed innocent after death. Since 1973, 142 death row inmates have been exonerated of the crime for which they were sentenced to die, according to the Death Penalty Information Center, with some of those people spending decades in prison before their innocence was proven.

But that proof came too late for at least 10 of the more than 1,000 prisoners who have been executed in the U.S. during the past forty years, as pointed out by Amnesty International. The advertisements were sponsored by the organization's branch in Puerto Rico.

Death row inmates tend to ask for calorie-rich comfort foods for their final meal before death, according to an analysis of last meal requests from Cornell University. As depicted in the images below, fried foods, steak, soda and ice cream are commonly requested.

Seventeen states and the District of Columbia have banned capital punishment. Forty-three American prisoners were put to death in 2012. Almost one-third of those executions occurred in Texas.

Ruben Cantu (Texas)

ruben-cantu.jpg

Cantu's last meal: Fried chicken, rice, plantains, soda. His last request -- for a piece of bubble gum -- was reportedly denied.

Cantu was only 17 when he was charged with capital murder in Texas for the shooting death of a man during an attempted robbery. However, one key eyewitness who was wounded during the crime later said he was pressured by police to identify Cantu as the shooter, telling the Houston Chronicle that he told police Cantu was not the assailant on two separate occasions.

Cantu was executed in 1993.

The Bexar County District Attorney who charged Cantu with capital murder eventually said he never should have sought the death penalty in a case based on the testimony of an eyewitness.

Claude Howard Jones (Texas)

claude-jones.jpg

Jones, who was sentenced to death in 1989 for the shooting death of a Texas liquor store owner, was executed in 2000. But recent DNA testing of a strand of hair found at the scene of the crime, the only physical evidence that placed him at the scene of the crime, did not belong to Jones.

“Knowing that these DNA results support his innocence means so much to me, my son in the military and the rest of my family. I hope these results will serve as a wake-up call to everyone that serious problems exist in the criminal justice system that must be fixed if our society is to continue using the death penalty,” Jones’ son, Duane Jones, told the Texas Observer in 2010.

Leo Jones (Florida)

leo-jones.jpg

Jones, who was convicted of murdering a police officer in Florida, said he was coerced into signing an confession after several hours of police interrogation. The police officer who arrested him, as well as the detective who took his confession, were forced out of uniform for ethical violations a few years after Jones’ conviction. Jones was executed in 1998.

David Spence (Texas)

david-spence.jpg

In 1984, Spence was sentenced to death for the murder of three Texas teenagers. However, no physical evidence connected him to the crime, and both the homicide detective who conducted the investigation, as well as the police lieutenant who supervised it, each said they did not believe Spence committed the crime.

The prosecution reportedly relied on the testimony of other prison inmates in their case against Spence, the Death Penalty Information Center reports. He was executed in 1997.

Cameron Willingham (Texas)

willingham.jpg

Willingham, who was convicted of murdering his three children in a 1991 house fire, was executed in Texas in 2004. Four national arson experts have concluded the original investigation in the case was flawed, while an independent investigation into the case concluded the prosecution centered its argument on arson theories that have since been repudiated by scientific studies.

http://www.ibtimes.com/last-meals-i...hlights-steep-price-capital-punishment-photos

DarkFlow

Banned
I think if we just banned it in Texas to start would solve a lot of problems. Notice how most of them come from Texas.

Raynes

Yep, false convictions are one of the many reasons we shouldn't have the death penalty. Yet we still get tards on GAF in every thread demanding execution left and right, as though they are omniscient. Makes me sick.

Gattsu25

Banned
Not sure how bad food connects someone emotionally to an innocent death but whatever gets the word out there I guess.

It gives people, who have never really thought about the final moments and desires of an innocent who was wrongly accused, something to think about and potentially a way to connect and empathize with these people.

Congrats on the edgy post, though. It was a very good moment for you and likely will be your highlight of the year.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ah, food shaming in the first reply. Good work.
But really... These last meals are amazingly bland. It is true that they get whatever they like, isn't it? Lord knows I'd drive these prison chefs insane trying to find the right spice combination....

Not sure how bad food connects someone emotionally to an innocent death but whatever gets the word out there I guess.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't have come into this thread if the food angle hadn't caught my attention.

After reading I realised that it sort of helped me empathise with the victims. I guess eating is something we all share and I imagine many of us have considered what our last meals would be.

zoukka

But really... These last meals are amazingly bland. It is true that they get whatever they like, isn't it? Lord knows I'd drive these prison chefs insane trying to find the right spice combination....

Or you know... be in a state of mind we can never comprehend. Knowing there's no way out, these people will not listen to you. Knowing you did nothing wrong and your own country will murder you moments from eating that meal.

More reason why the death penalty needs to go away.

No it isn't. It is more reason why the death penalty should only be given where there is absolutely no doubt the person committed the crime. Jeffrey Dahmer is a good example.

When one of the officers checked the bedroom, he saw the photographs of mangled bodies and called for his partner to arrest Dahmer.[39] As one officer subdued Dahmer, the other opened the refrigerator and found a human head. Further searching of the apartment revealed three more severed heads, multiple photographs of murdered victims and human remains, severed hands and penises, and photographs of dismembered victims and human remains in his refrigerator.

Dahmer wasn't given the death penalty incidentally but was beaten to death by a prisoner anyway.

EVOL 100%

Quite sobering.

I don't know man, I'd really rather eat something I always liked than something like cavier or shit.

Fucking terrible. I don't care what someone did, the state executing him in cold blood is atrocious. Shit's straight from the dark ages.

There really is no worse fate. Maybe if you had to watch your loved ones die would be worse...
You could, theoretically, still survive that and start anew many years later. Or you could still kill yourself.

Being tortured and denied even death is the only thing that can objectively be worse than death.

BocoDragon

Or you know... be in a state of mind we can never comprehend. Knowing there's no way out, these people will not listen to you. Knowing you did nothing wrong and your own country will murder you moments from eating that meal.
I respect the gravitas of that situation but I'm sure I'd never find these meals appealing. It's interesting that they chose them, sure... But I'd be getting something delectable and exciting.

I'd almost postulate that people who tend to be wrongly accused tend to have whitebread tastes. Foodies are less likely to be seen as an obvious accusation target.

I don't know man, I'd really rather eat something I always liked than something like cavier or shit.
They all like American truck stop food? There's a pattern here.

lilltias

Why would they eat something fancy? My bet is that they want something that reminds them of everyday life, home and great memories.

Vyroxis

Banned
Not quite sure how any food is supposed to connect us to.them, but whatever. Most of us already know the death penalty is a bad idea, but like it or not it isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

And honestly, there are plenty of people out their that deserve nothing more than to be on a fast track to the chair. So keeping it around isn't all bad.

They all like American truck stop food? There's a pattern here.

Besides pinko commies and hippies, who doesn't? Some of the best food in the country can be found at truck stops.

BocoDragon

What does that likely correct deduction have to do with random poster's distinguished tastes in food?
Both mine and the other person's observations are worthless, that is true... But the fact that I could get all of these "last meals" at Denny's at 4 AM raises an eyebrow.

raindoc

i'm not at all happy with the country i was born and live in, but at least we can agree on one thing: that the death penalty is an barbaric act, not even worth of our consideration as a progressive society.
shame on you america.

EDIT: re: food

http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibt...show_slide/public/2013/02/14/claude-jones.jpg

protein overload. i'm feeling sick just by looking at that heap of eggs. also: only one sausage?

http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibt...deshow_slide/public/2013/02/14/willingham.jpg

only 3 ribs? really?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
No it isn't. It is more reason why the death penalty should only be given where there is absolutely no doubt the person committed the crime. Jeffrey Dahmer is a good example.

Dahmer wasn't given the death penalty incidentally but was beaten to death by a prisoner anyway.

And how do you determine that there's no doubt?

The answer is that you can't.

Convictions are only supposed to happen beyond a reasonable doubt. However, that doesn't mean convictions don't happen even in the presence of reasonable doubt. Nor does it mean that you don' t have false convictions. Because just because there is no room for reasonable doubt does not mean an unreasonable doubt isn't the truth. Nor does it mean that you are correct.

Saying "Well, only use the death penalty when you're absolutely sure of it!" is nice, but the point of the justice system is to convict only when you're certain of guilt. That's not a fail safe.

Gattsu25

Banned
Both mine and the other person's observations are worthless, that is true... But the fact that I could get all of these "last meals" at Denny's at 4 AM raises an eyebrow.
That even you could be wrongly accused of a crime, convicted, put on death row, and executed?

I can't even begin to fathom what it feels like to sentence someone to death, but not have to actually kill him or even watch the execution.
His blood is on your hands, metaphorically, but literally it isn't. Absolutely terrifying shit.
Are there no judges who flat out refuse to give the death sentence?

A big steak, hot chips with chicken salt, KFC original recipie
Desert would be apple pie with ice cream or pavlova (my mums spcialties).
To drink would be a single malt scotch on the rocks or a coca cola if they don't allow alcohol.

Looking at that you'd think I'd have no appreciation of things like caviar, oysters, crayfish, ect or something which is cooked by a scientist but the thing is, the simple meals would be the ones I would fall back to.

Mainly for the sake that to me, they have the best tastes and would bring back memories of eating dinner with my family.

akira28

Not anymore. You get anything you want, on a menu they give you. They changed that, first in Texas I think.

BocoDragon

Not anymore. You get anything you want, on a menu they give you. They changed that, first in Texas I think.
Now that would make a lot more sense. This looks like a choice from an unhealthy school cafeteria menu, not an expression of unlimited choice of food....

marrec

Banned

Hell ya it does, it shows that Denny's is the true culinary experience of America.

Uck, executions, how droll.

Des0lar

will learn eventually

Yeah sure, and then someone frames a murder on you, making it look like it was you all along. What then? All the evidence is against you, witnesses account against you. But you are innocent.
Death penalty sucks and is a barbaric procedure that should have been long gone in a modern society.
Lock people alway for life for all I care, and try to study their behaviour. Find out what motivated them, use their lives for something useful like construction, cheap manual labor. Give them a life behind bars, but let that life be somewhat livable.

BocoDragon

Main thing that ruined any appeal of the death penalty for me is that, apparantly, it costs more to put people on death row than keep them in jail.

So it's not even cheaper? It's all about the satisfaction of mortal punishment? Yeah.. screw that.

Dead Man

Even if it was cheaper to put people to death, and you got rid of all the appeals processes, until there is a guaranteed zero rate of false convictions I don't understand how anyone can support the death penalty.

It gives people, who have never really thought about the final moments and desires of an innocent who was wrongly accused, something to think about and potentially a way to connect and empathize with these people.

Congrats on the edgy post, though. It was a very good moment for you and likely will be your highlight of the year.

Didn't think it was edgy in the least.

This is quite possibly the least favorite post I have seen all week.

1000 apologies. If you survive the weekend with seeing nothing worse you'll have lived a charmed message board existence.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't have come into this thread if the food angle hadn't caught my attention.

After reading I realised that it sort of helped me empathise with the victims. I guess eating is something we all share and I imagine many of us have considered what our last meals would be.

Good to know...interesting take.

It humanizes them.

If that angle grabs people like I said whatever gets the word out there. I just don't know how people haven't put themselves in the shoes of an innocent man on death row if they have put any thought on the subject of if there should be capitail punishment. I guess that's how advertising works..different things grab different peoples attention.

I'll try not to be a shock jock poster and if I feel the need I will at least bury it in the middle of the page.

lednerg

No more final meal requests for Texas' death-row inmates (Sept 27, 2011)
"Enough is enough," state Senator John Whitmire, who chairs its justice committee, wrote to death row officials.

"It is extremely inappropriate to give a person sentenced to death such a privilege. It's a privilege which the perpetrator did not provide to their victim."

Within hours of his letter being made public, the policy of allowing a final meal was abandoned.

"Effective immediately, no such accommodations will be made," responded Brad Livingston, the director of the Huntsville facility.

"They will receive the same meal served to other offenders on the unit."

Give them a life behind bars, but let that life be somewhat livable.

This x1000
Prison shouldn't be for punishment/satisfaction of bloodlust but rather A) keep the perpetrator away from society and B) serve as a deterrent.
Look at Scandinavia, some (all?) of the countries there have some pretty comfortable prisons, and they have a very low recidivism rate.

MooseKing

Banned
More reason why the death penalty needs to go away.

I will take 10 mistakes for 990 pieces of shit being killed.

Honestly. If someone committed a horrible crime, and there is objective evidence proving it. Such as the guy in Norway or the guy who shot up the movie theater in Colorado. They should be executed within 7 days of capture.

Stop wasting tax payers money housing, feeding and providing defense for these people.

I will take 10 mistakes for 990 pieces of shit being killed.

Honestly. If someone committed a horrible crime, and there is objective evidence proving it. Such as the guy in Norway or the guy who shot up the movie theater in Colorado. They should be executed within 7 days of capture.

Stop wasting tax payers money housing, feeding and providing defense for these people.

And what happens when you are one of those 10 mistakes? On top of that, what do we gain by killing the people you mentioned instead of keeping them in prison for life? We're certainly not saving tax payer money.

Edit:

The idea of killing them within 7 days of capture is extra barbaric.

MooseKing

Banned
This x1000
Prison shouldn't be for punishment/satisfaction of bloodlust but rather A) keep the perpetrator away from society and B) serve as a deterrent.
Look at Scandinavia, some (all?) of the countries there have some pretty comfortable prisons, and they have a very low recidivism rate.

This is the normal awful argument used. Scandinavian countries are more peaceful because of the culture. It has little to do with what happens to murderers after they are behind bars.

Canada is one of the safest countries on earth, and Toronto is the safest metro-city on this side of planet earth. Yet our prisons are absolutely awful, and your life behind bars hardly could be worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom