• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Cheska

Finally getting back into this since I'm determined to beat this game before I buy another 3DS title. God, I hate Jabu Jabus dungeon so much x.x I'm surprised there aren't more people playing this since the 3DS price drop though.

Yen

Man, it's hard to win Epona. This is my first time playing the game btw. And it is awesome. I'm sure this'll go down as one of my favourite games when I finish it.

Cheska said:
Finally getting back into this since I'm determined to beat this game before I buy another 3DS title. God, I hate Jabu Jabus dungeon so much x.x I'm surprised there aren't more people playing this since the 3DS price drop though.
It is so trippy in 3D though.

PKrockin said:
Aw man. That glitch was so much fun.

Oh well, this game still rocks all over again. Though I'm having a lot more fun imagining Link and Navi as a Finn and Jake type duo with awesome dialogue. Also, picking "no" to every question where I should say "yes" is still funny.

Boney

Banned
Ok fishing as adult link is a pain in the ass. Fuckers always just let go!

Any tips?

Hehehhe got a 19 Pounder because he bit my bait 1 inch from me so I didn't have to fight.

Praise jebesus!

Clipper

Boney said:
Ok fishing as adult link is a pain in the ass. Fuckers always just let go!

Any tips?

Hehehhe got a 19 Pounder because he bit my bait 1 inch from me so I didn't have to fight.

Praise jebesus!
Only tip I can think of is don't use R to help reel in. If you only hold A and down, it should never let go. Also, move the stick from down-left to down-right and back occasionally. You can get a bit of extra reeling that way, depending which way the fish is pulling on the line.

Cheska

Eaten By A Grue said:
It is so trippy in 3D though.

The 3D is great but not exactly my cup of tea. The game is stunning though, and it's an amazing upgrade.

Yenrot said:
Man, it's hard to win Epona. This is my first time playing the game btw. And it is awesome. I'm sure this'll go down as one of my favourite games when I finish it.

Try to stay on the inside during the race both times. Also make sure you always have at least one carrot left, because it takes a while for them to regenerate.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I forgot that when you save, quit, and restart you begin again in your tree house. Damn that's annoying for a portable game :(

John Harker said:
I forgot that when you save, quit, and restart you begin again in your tree house. Damn that's annoying for a portable game :(
Becomes a little less of a hassle once you gain access to the shortcuts in the Lost Woods but it's still a pain. I guess just put the system in sleep mode and pick up where you left off later?

I'd say it's both a curse and a blessing. While it may make you travel all of Hyrule Field again, it can also save you from traveling all of it again. Then when you get the teleporting songs it pretty much stops being an issue.

SolarKnight said:
I'd say it's both a curse and a blessing. While it may make you travel all of Hyrule Field again, it can also save you from traveling all of it again. Then when you get the teleporting songs it pretty much stops being an issue.
This is also true. Saving and quitting is a pretty legit way of getting back to the Kokiri Forest or Lost Woods pretty fast early in the game.

Branduil

Just got the game today. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by the visuals. I was never really impressed with the screenshots, but on the 3DS it feels much more impressive, both in 3D and in 2D(thanks to the supersampling). The lighting in particular is on another level compared to the original, it's very smooth, which makes me think they must be using normal mapping a lot more than seemed apparent in screenshots. It's certainly not pushing the 3DS to its limit, but it looks good and is a clear improvement on the original.

The slide pad works great too, I'm loving the controls. Feels like the definitive version of the game to me already, though I regret that it will be missing the red blood and original fire temple music.

So I've determined that I want to 100% this one (I beat the GC version with only 3/4 of the hearts, two missing spells, no ice arrows, no Scarecrow's Song and just two empty bottles). Now I've done all the main gameplay
and broken the seal on Ganon's tower
and I just want to know:

- Is the reward for finding all the golden skulltulas worth it? I'm up to 73 or something, but I've missed HEAPS that I just couldn't figure out how to get to earlier.
- Is there some sort of reward for fishing? It's my least favourite minigame in Zelda games and if the reward is just rupees or something, I'll skip it.
- Any tips for hunting down big poes?
- Anywhere apart from that fairy fountain that the golden gauntlets are useful? Just seems pointless, to be honest.
- Do the Goron/Zora/Gerudo masks do anything useful?
- Can you use the Biggoron sword to finish off Ganon?
- Can I get a shovel? I've been using the hammer to open up holes in the floor, but this doesn't always work (one at the entrance of the Gerudo Desert, behind the carpenters' tent won't open)

-Not really IIRC
-Piece of Heart and Golden Scale
-I dunno *shrugs*
-Pointless seems like a perfect description of them
-Not really
-No
-No

maeda

viciouskillersquirrel said:
So I've determined that I want to 100% this one (I beat the GC version with only 3/4 of the hearts, two missing spells, no ice arrows, no Scarecrow's Song and just two empty bottles). Now I've done all the main gameplay
and I just want to know:

- Is the reward for finding all the golden skulltulas worth it? I'm up to 73 or something, but I've missed HEAPS that I just couldn't figure out how to get to earlier.
- Is there some sort of reward for fishing? It's my least favourite minigame in Zelda games and if the reward is just rupees or something, I'll skip it.
- Anywhere apart from that fairy fountain that the golden gauntlets are useful? Just seems pointless, to be honest.

1. The reward is extremely underwhelming. Take his "I will make you a very rich man" literally!
2. There is both for the child and adult Link. The rewards are great, by the way.
3. Make sure you ride on the horse through every bush on the map and just all the space available.
4. Do not remember.
5. Do not know.
6. Never tried it.
Hope this info will be useful!

OMG Aero

viciouskillersquirrel said:
and I just want to know:

1) The reward for getting all the Skulltulas is terrible. Once you get the heart piece from them there is literally no point in getting the rest unless you want to say you have gotten all Skulltulas.
2) As young Link you can get a heart piece from fishing, adult Link can get an upgrade that allows him to get another heart piece.
3) Not really aside from looking up a map online and marking them off as you get them so you don't forget where they are. Using the gyro aiming controls helps a lot for shooting them.
4) I don't think so, no.
5) All they do is make some people say different things to you.
6) You can hurt Ganon with the Biggoron sword, but the killing blow is scripted for the Master Sword. He won't die unless the last hit is from that.

Celine

Branduil said:
Just got the game today. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by the visuals. I was never really impressed with the screenshots, but on the 3DS it feels much more impressive, both in 3D and in 2D(thanks to the supersampling). The lighting in particular is on another level compared to the original, it's very smooth, which makes me think they must be using normal mapping a lot more than seemed apparent in screenshots. It's certainly not pushing the 3DS to its limit, but it looks good and is a clear improvement on the original.

The slide pad works great too, I'm loving the controls. Feels like the definitive version of the game to me already, though I regret that it will be missing the red blood and original fire temple music.
Never seen used in OoT3D.
Star Fox 64 3D and Nano Assault among the others seems to use those shading effects though.

Boney

Banned
Oh so the holes in the ground that don't open by bombs open by hammer?

*smacks in the forehead*

Why didn't I try that before!

Missing 10 pieces of hearts, and 30 skultullas, gave up on using the bugs to uncover them, because that's just awful design. Need to look up for 2 bean patches and the Big Poe hunting, and I guess the rest are on holes on the floor? Can't think of anywhere else where they might be.

Mistle

So all those areas where the rumble pack rumbled to indicate a secret, and a bomb didn't do anything, I should have tried a hammer or song of storms?

All this time, I had no idea.

I honestly don't know why that surprised me so much originally considering you needed to do it for the infinite golden skulltulas glitch in the 64.

Kazerei

Banned
Heh, there's so many little things in OOT to discover. One of the reasons I love this game so much.

- Tap the B button to swim faster
- Skullwalltullas can be knocked off the wall with the megaton hammer
- Tektites can be flipped over with the megaton hammer
- Baby dodongos and deku scrubs can be popped out of the ground with the megaton hammer
- Rocks and crates can be broken with the megaton hammer
- Phantom Ganon's energy balls can be reflected with an empty bottle (like in LTTP, with the bug-catching net against Agahnim)
- If you kill lots of stalchildren, guays, or leevers, a giant one will appear
- Stalchildren won't appear if you stay on the dirt path (like in Zelda 2) or wear the bunny hood
- Keese won't attack if you wear the skull mask
- If you walk slowly, redeads won't notice you
- Play Zelda's lullaby in front of a broken sign, and it will repair itself
- Play Epona's song in front of a cow, and it will give you milk
- Play the song of storms in certain spots, and a fairies will appear (Navi turns green at these spots)
- Play the song of storms in front of a gossip stone, and a big fairy will appear. Other songs cause normal fairies to appear.
- If you hold out a deku stick and stand still, a butterfly might land on it and turn into a fairy
- The nipples of the giant statue in the middle of the Spirit Temple ... are hookshot-able O_O

Mistle

Kazerei said:
Heh, there's so many little things in OOT to discover. One of the reasons I love this game so much.

- Baby dodongos and deku scrubs can be popped out of the ground with the megaton hammer
- Phantom Ganon's energy balls can be reflected with an empty bottle (like in LTTP, with the bug-catching net against Agahnim)
- Stalchildren won't appear if you stay on the dirt path (like in Zelda 2) or wear the bunny hood
- Play the song of storms in certain spots, and a fairies will appear (Navi turns green at these spots)
- Play the song of storms in front of a gossip stone, and a big fairy will appear. Other songs cause normal fairies to appear.
- If you hold out a deku stick and stand still, a butterfly might land on it and turn into a fairy
- The nipples of the giant statue in the middle of the Spirit Temple ... are hookshot-able O_O
Ahhhhhh so many things I didn't know! Crazy.

Kazerei said:

*makes note of that for the next time*

Kazerei said:

Whoah, really? :eek:

Kazerei said:
- There's a bunch of stuff you can do to gossip stones

*lets bomb explode in front of it* 3...2...1..LIFT OFF! :D

blamite

Kazerei said:

All of these just blew my mind. :eek:

Another neat trick:

Play the Song of Storms and use the Lens of Truth right after and it won't drain any magic. I thought this was just a glitch in the original but they kept it in this one so it's gotta be more of a secret/easter egg.

Myriadis

Nice List of little secrets, Kazerei. The only things I can also remember are:

- Re-Deads freeze when you play the Song of Sun near them.
- You can hit the members of the Skulltulla family in Kakariko with the sword and they freeze. When they unfreeze, they attack you once when you come close.
- Shooting a light arrow at certain enemies gives you 50 rupees.
- There is a dying soldier at the back alley of the town that only appears between the moment you get the ocarina of time and the moment you get the master sword. He says that you have to go to the Temple of Time and simply dies.
- And it's obvious for me, but many people just don't seem to realize that you can skip the Owl's speech with B after the first message box.

Kazerei said:
And so are Twinrova's breasts.

Branduil

Celine said:
Never seen used in OoT3D.
Star Fox 64 3D and Nano Assault among the others seems to use those shading effects though.
Yeah, some of the environments initially looked like they were normal mapped, but on closer examination it seems to just be smart texture-work.

Roto13

Regarding the giant Stalchild thing: If you can somehow manage to make a second giant Stalchild appear, it will be bigger than the first one. If you can manage to keep it night on Hyrule field (through glitching, I guess, or hacking) you can keep making progressively bigger and bigger Stalchildren.

Kazerei said:

Great post dude. I knew most of these, but :O @ the ones that were new to me!

Medalion

Banned
Myriadis said:
And so are Twinrova's breasts.
daffy.gif

heringer

Finally finished this. I'm impressed at how well it has aged. The combat is too basic by today's standards, and so are the cutscenes, but the design of the game itself is flawless. Perfect pacing, great dungeons, bosses, itens...

And I honestly don't get the hate the graphics got. This game looks lovely, specially in 3D.

I so want a Majora's Mask remake... never got to finish that one.

I'm surprised that there are a few of those little secrets I did not know, i'm going to test that redead one. Shame Adult Link can't wear masks because i'd love to just slap on the skull mask in the ice cavern to avoid those pesky Ice keese.

Now I think i've got a few more tidbits I can add to the collection....
- As an adult you can take down skull kids with the hookshot and get orange rupees that are worth 100.
- You can longshot to a path at the top of the windmill in kakariko village, there's a Cucco up there for some pointless gliding. You are aiming for a wooden post in a gap high up on the windmill to reach said area.

Maldoror

Barrow Roll said:
Another neat trick:

Play the Song of Storms and use the Lens of Truth right after and it won't drain any magic. I thought this was just a glitch in the original but they kept it in this one so it's gotta be more of a secret/easter egg.

I think I read somewhere -can't remember where exactly- that they intentionally kept most of the glitches of the original, specially for old time fans like you (and me).
To put smiles on our faces I guess.

Roto13 said:
You can use your sword and it's 200 rupees. :p Also it's gold now.
Yup, got my description wrong, in fact I think he flips out of the way and vanishes if you try the hookshot, i'm thinking the Biggoron sword was how I slaughtered the poor buggers, i'm a bit disappointed that the rupee is no longer orange, that was my icing on the cake for whatever reason.

Maldoror said:
I think I read somewhere -can't remember where exactly- that they intentionally kept most of the glitches of the original, especially for old time fans like you (and me).
To put smiles on our faces I guess.
If that's the case then awesome, but they removed the crouch stab glitch which put a frown on my face.

Nocturnowl said:
Now I think i've got a few more tidbits I can add to the collection....
- As an adult you can take down skull kids with the hookshot and get orange rupees that are worth 100.

It always disturbed me that the fastest way to get rupees (before 100 gold skulltulas) was to kill your childhood friends.

PSGames

I just want to say the more and more I play this game the more and more I'm blown away by the 3D effect. Everything feels so alive in 3D and I'm amazed every time I look at the screen. It seriously adds so much to the experience. I think Nintendo made the right choice going with xbox+ graphics and 3D.

Yousefb

Finally finished the game! That orchestrated theme at the end credits is such a tease lol
Now give me another one, Majora, Wind Waker, all new whatever - just need more 3D Zelda fix! :p

Smellycat

SolarKnight said:
It always disturbed me that the fastest way to get rupees (before 100 gold skulltulas) was to kill your childhood friends.

yeah, that was really disturbing. One minute you are playing the ocarina with them, then the next one you are killing them. :(

Smellycat

I forgot to add that while this is a good game, it really could have been better if the developers were more open minded. I wanted to see an open world with an engaging story and awesome voice acting. I also want to customize Link's boots, swords, and hair. It seems to me that the options in this game were limited.

Top Bottom