• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The List of Actors Who Were Almost in the First X-Men Movie Is Downright Crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link. Some more in it.

The original X-Men trilogy helped kickstart the modern superhero movie boom—and it gave us iconic takes on characters like Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine and Patrick Stewart’s Professor X. What that casting might have been though, according to the people behind it, paints a totally bizarre alternate picture.

Speaking in an extensive interview with THR, David Hayter, who wrote the screenplay for the first two X-Men films, discusses some of the totally wild alternate casting choices that might have been:

I was writing it for the comic book characters. I was brought on as they were casting, so I was lucky enough to be there for some of the people who came in like Terence Stamp for Xavier and Janet Jackson and Mariah Carey for Storm. Michael Jackson came in because he wanted to play Professor X. It was amazing. Shaq came in. Viggo Mortensen came in. I really liked Viggo for Wolverine, but it didn’t come together for whatever reason. Angela Bassett was our first choice for Storm, but her agents wanted more money than we had at the time. Same with Rachael Leigh Cook for Rogue.

Angela Bassett for Storm. Michael Jackson for Professor X. Shaq, apparently, wanted to be Bishop, but Hayter eventually cut the character from the script due to his unfamiliarity with the hero. Holy moly, this is crazy.

But can you imagine that first X-Men movie with some of these names floating around instead of what we got? Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine has become iconic at this point, but I want to see the alternate realities where Viggo Mortensen or Dougray Scott—who originally cast as the hero before having to pull out due to suffering severe injuries on the set of Mission Impossible 2—brought Logan to life.

And nowadays we get GoT actors between seasons.

This makes me want to actually watch all the movies :/

Then see Logan once my assignments are all in...
Look, nobody is going to pretend the X-Men franchise is great cinema, has some great high and some really, really low lows but if you want to sit down and chew through the movies I'd say they're actually worth it. Skip X-Men Origins: Wolverine (not The Wolverine, that's not awful) and just enjoy them. X2 and DoFP are genuinely good movies. First Class and X1 are good and the others are sort of middling but as a whole thing, they're pretty fun.

-edit-
I took your post as you hadn't seem them before but I realise now that this may be inaccurate.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I am dying here picturing MJ as Professor X.

Angela Basset as Storm woulda been awesome.

Yeah much better choice.
If Jackman is really done with Logan and they are recasting Wolverine (for the next movie) then I'd really like to see Tom Hardys version of Wolverine.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Days of Future Past with McAvoy works even better if he's yelling "I don't want yoh suffering, I don't want yo futah" at Michael Jackson

3978565-tumblr_n6m22xj3gv1qcqtduo1_500.jpg

Robin-Williams.jpg

AndersK

YOU HAVE MY CLAWS!

Damn. Would've been interesting. Can't see him out-bub'ing Jackman, but very interesting.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Never heard of her, Googled her and the movies she was in it were all Rom-coms

Why was she demanding high salary again?

Higher than they had to offer doesn't mean terribly high.

Biggest names in the final film weren't going to make more than a million at most.

Never heard of her, Googled her and the movies she was in it were all Rom-coms

Why was she demanding high salary again?

In 90s should would have cost quite a bit. They tried to go as cheap as possible with the cast.

Angela Basset was considered "too expensive" back then, that's why they passed over her for Halle Berry.

Thought this thread was going to be about the early 90s when Richard Donner was in talks to direct an X-Men film.

Man, I remember seeing magazines reporting interest from Alec Baldwin as Cyclops, Mel Gibson as Wolverine, Arnold Schwarzenegger as Colossus... now that was some hype casting. :D

Mett

I'm not sure I would have much liked those actors in those roles but its hard to say without having ever seen it. Viggo as Wolverine does sound interesting but after having Hugh Jackman all these years, It's just hard to imagine someone other than him in that role.

I'm still surprised they went with Hugh Jackman considering almost all he'd done was musical theatre productions. He owned it though.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Most of those are laughable, but Viggorine sounds really interesting in a What If kind of way and we all know that Angela Basset would have owned the fuck out of Storm. Saying she would have played a fierce Ororo would be an understatement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom