• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings Online |OT| F2P lets everyone simply walk into Mordor

D2D has the "Lord of the Rings VIP Starter Pack" for $4.95 for the next 24 hours. It's a month of VIP status and 1,000 Turbine Points.

Edit: Just in case somebody sees this post, but misses these later replies:
TimeKillr said:
Just as a quick warning - the VIP Starter pack only applies for new accounts. I'm guessing the Turbine points are not tied to a specific account, though.

I'll give the 30 days VIP to a friend of mine, anyway, but I'll keep the points. :)
Haeleos said:
Just posting to confirm that the 1000 points DOES work on existing accounts, but the 30 Days of VIP does not. You need to start a new account for the 30 Day VIP. Luckily, they are two separate keys. It's also the best deal on points going, as 1550 points on the Turbine Store is currently $19.95.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Dave Inc. said:
I always tank it up so I figure I'll go guardian, but looking at the wiki it seems like the races do play a pretty serious role in how "good" the class plays. Now, I hate seeing this question, let alone asking it, but is there a "best" race for guardians (I figure dorf), and would I be crazy for going race of Man?

I don't know that it really matters all that much, the passive starting bonuses aren't all that significant. I've seen guardians of all races. Dwarves are definitely the coolest though and not a lot of people play them. You might want to take a look at some of the racial traits if you can't decide. The Elvish return to Rivendell trait is pretty serious business later in the game.

Borgnine said:
I don't know that it really matters all that much, the passive starting bonuses aren't all that significant. I've seen guardians of all races. Dwarves are definitely the coolest though and not a lot of people play them. You might want to take a look at some of the racial traits if you can't decide. The Elvish return to Rivendell trait is pretty serious business later in the game.

Again, horrible bigot, only play humans. If they're A-okay to play then I'm happy.

I just can't relate to a character if it's non-human, I guess. Plus, most fiction is human-centric with a supporting cast of non-humans, so it's difficult for me to see my protagonist be a non-human.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Brandywine GAF Kinship is friendly. Just joined up!

Also I love the instrument ability in this game. I was wandering around town and some dude started playing Concerning Hobbits on his lute. Twas awesome.

MarshMellow96 said:
What is Panda Media Booster?
Basically a bittorrent client. You can uninstall it from the control panel after you've downloaded the installer. If you don't, it'll continue to use some of your upload bandwidth.

JoeBoy101

Might recreate my Minstrel if intrigued. I dug the game for a while, and loved how the Player Housing was done, but it just was so empty once you had it.

To answer the previous poster asking about Minstrels, they are healing and buffing gods who can do real damage. I solo'd constantly with mine, but would like to see with a group.

TimeKillr

Just as a quick warning - the VIP Starter pack only applies for new accounts. I'm guessing the Turbine points are not tied to a specific account, though.

I'll give the 30 days VIP to a friend of mine, anyway, but I'll keep the points. :)

Well well well!

It turns out my friend doesn't want to use it (he's not sure he wants to play that much) so it's free to someone from here!

Let me explain how this works:

1- You must NOT already have a LOTRO account within your Turbine account for this to work.
2- First person who replies to this post IN THE THREAD (I don't want to be spammed through my inbox!) gets it via PM.

Basically, it's 30 days of VIP access, for free. Worth a whopping 5$ on D2D! :) But hey, it's still as if you have 30 days free, so who cares?

Also, if it turns out the LOTRO store code doesn't work on my account, you get that for free also.

Also, FYI, just getting the 1000 points for 5$ isn't a bad deal in itself - I think the only better deal right now in the store itself is 6900 points for 50$.

So here we go! First person who replies in the thread, expressing interest, gets the VIP code!

Giolon

TimeKillr said:

Turbine points apply per LOTRO account. You can have 1 Turbine Account but multiple LOTRO account, and none of them share Turbine Points with each other. Be careful.

TimeKillr

Giolon said:
Turbine points apply per LOTRO account. You can have 1 Turbine Account but multiple LOTRO account, and none of them share Turbine Points with each other. Be careful.

There's a separate code for the points. I just don't know if the points can be applied to any LOTRO account or if they're tied to the other key you are issued for the VIP access. We shall see when I get home from work! :)

Owensboro

TimeKillr said:
So here we go! First person who replies in the thread, expressing interest, gets the VIP code!

Hah, I wish I had more interest in playing for the full month and I would jump at it! Unfortunately I have no idea if I'm even going to like it / play it more then this weekend. I'd hate to waste that much playtime.

And judging from what I've read so far from here: http://lotro.mmorsel.com/2010/02/winning-race-class-combos.html : I'm thinking of rolling a Hobbit + Minstrel. Being able to "feign death" and then resurrect people was something I always wanted to do in WoW. And I figure the Shadow and Fear resistance could be helpful for a healer even if it is a piddling 1%.

How far off base are those assumptions?

notworksafe

Blargh! Suddenly having huge issues with crashes on this game. Anyone else running it in Crossover/Wine on OS X/Linux? Just wondering if it's only me.

Rflagg

Went ahead and ordered Moria after a couple hours goofing off this morning. I am hoping for sales on Turbine points to eventually get Mirkwood, and earning enough of them for other nice extras. Joined official gaf server which always has a short wait to get into. Spire I am adding those names form the other thread to my friends list, and my in game name is Bellond. If I could get a guild invite that would be awesome.

Edit:thanks notworksafe that is a nice bonus going to try not to blow it all as it would help to have a good head start on points towards Mirkwood.

notworksafe

You'll get 500 Turbine Points when you add Moria to your account because the free 30 day subscription gives you a VIP account for a month.

Delio

The game crashes for me sometimes between Loading screens but otherwise good. Hopefully i wont have to start all over after the crash during the last part of the beginner zone.

Well couple hours in right now, it's ok but really not seeing much different from WoW (I do hate having to say that). How or when does the game really change or show you what makes it stand apart?

AndyD

aka andydumi
BattleMonkey said:
Well couple hours in right now, it's ok but really not seeing much different from WoW (I do hate having to say that). How or when does the game really change or show you what makes it stand apart?

For me it was when i got out of the tutorial/begginner area and into the open world, lvl 5ish to 10ish when you start traveling and seeing a wider array of stuff.

centracore

Is there a way to see what you have added to your account? I bought the game way back when and don't remember what, if any, expansions I would have.

Also am I correct in understanding in that what expansions you have purchased will have all the quests for those areas unlocked?

AndyD

aka andydumi
centracore said:
Is there a way to see what you have added to your account? I bought the game way back when and don't remember what, if any, expansions I would have.

Also am I correct in understanding in that what expansions you have purchased will have all the quests for those areas unlocked?

The answer to the second question is yes. And in addition to quests, also other stuff like extra character slots, virtues and things. I think there is a link in the OP with details.

Shanadeus

Banned
I've gotten my Burglar Hobbit up to level ten just from delivering pies, mail and picking up bad pies :lol
Really enjoying the quick leveling pace and the quests.

TimeKillr said:

Well well well!

It turns out my friend doesn't want to use it (he's not sure he wants to play that much) so it's free to someone from here!

1- You must NOT already have a LOTRO account within your Turbine account for this to work.
2- First person who replies to this post IN THE THREAD (I don't want to be spammed through my inbox!) gets it via PM.

Basically, it's 30 days of VIP access, for free. Worth a whopping 5$ on D2D! :) But hey, it's still as if you have 30 days free, so who cares?

Also, if it turns out the LOTRO store code doesn't work on my account, you get that for free also.

Also, FYI, just getting the 1000 points for 5$ isn't a bad deal in itself - I think the only better deal right now in the store itself is 6900 points for 50$.

I'm interested. I have an account but I'm trying to get my friend to play, so he could use it.

Coldsnap

TimeKillr said:

Well well well!

Uh if this hasn't been spoken for yet I would love to take it. I do not have a Turbine account and have been waiting patiently for Lotro to go F2P

TimeKillr

Mr. Snrub said:
I'm interested. I have an account but I'm trying to get my friend to play, so he could use it.

Lucky winner! I have to run from work but I will PM it to you as soon as I get home (which should be within an hour or so!)

centracore

TimeKillr said:
Lucky winner! I have to run from work but I will PM it to you as soon as I get home (which should be within an hour or so!)

TimeKillr can you post if the code for the 1000 Turbine Points works on an already active account once you have the chance to try it?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Shalashaska161 said:
Alright signed up and created a hunter on Brandywine. If there is a GAF guild throw me an invite, I named my hunter Shalashaska.

Wouldn't let me add you to friends for some reason. Just send Teladain or Vierge a tell the next time you're on.

Owensboro

Good lord, is there a quicker download for the low-res installer? It says it's going to take 3.3 hours. I figure a frigging bittorrent client would work faster then that.

AndyD said:
For me it was when i got out of the tutorial/begginner area and into the open world, lvl 5ish to 10ish when you start traveling and seeing a wider array of stuff.

Hmmm is it just visuals that makes the game unique or what? I will play some more but really it just seems like a visually different WoW so far. It's free so worth some play, but I quit WoW cause it's gameplay got boring, the money was not a concern.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
BattleMonkey said:
Hmmm is it just visuals that makes the game unique or what? I will play some more but really it just seems like a visually different WoW so far. It's free so worth some play, but I quit WoW cause it's gameplay got boring, the money was not a concern.

You'll probably get bored pretty quick if you're only concerned with the gameplay (not that there's anything wrong with that), since it is pretty close to WoW (or any number of other MMOs). The game really shines in its application of the license and the world they've created.

Haeleos

MarshMellow96 said:
2 questions:

Is there a big difference between the standard and high res installs?

What is Panda Media Booster?

Yes the High Res client has Very High settings for textures. You should download the High Res client.

Pando Media Booster is the downloader for the client. It's a torrent program, and you should uninstall it once LotRO is finished downloading and installing because it will continue to share the installation files with other users in the background after you're finished.

slidewinder said:
D2D has the "Lord of the Rings VIP Starter Pack" for $4.95 for the next 24 hours. It's a month of VIP status and 1,000 Turbine Points.

Just posting to confirm that the 1000 points DOES work on existing accounts, but the 30 Days of VIP does not. You need to start a new account for the 30 Day VIP. Luckily, they are two separate keys. It's also the best deal on points going, as 1550 points on the Turbine Store is currently $19.95.

Haeleos

Tideas said:
is the D2D deal just for the regular LOTRO? or does it go up to siege of mirkwood?

You're not purchasing the game. It's just 30 Free Days of VIP access + 1000 Turbine Points.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Tideas said:
umm,..it gives u a link to download the game? lol

The game is free to download and play for everyone... this just gives you VIP status for 30 days. The link to download it is on the game's webpage, in the OP here as well.

chiba

That pando app is ridiculous. Installed lotor earlier, not knowing anything about pando, and it was sucking up like 1Mbps of bandwidth, leaving me like 10kb for everything else. I have it so it doesn't turn on when windows starts now, but does anyone know if it starts when you launch lotor? Or should I just flat out uninstall it?

AndyD

aka andydumi
chiba said:
That pando app is ridiculous. Installed lotor earlier, not knowing anything about pando, and it was sucking up like 1Mbps of bandwidth, leaving me like 10kb for everything else. I have it so it doesn't turn on when windows starts now, but does anyone know if it starts when you launch lotor? Or should I just flat out uninstall it?

Jus uninstall it. Its only used to get the large initial client, not for game updates.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
BattleMonkey said:

The game is very similar to WoW mechanically. If this is a deal-breaker for you... fair enough.

How it sets itself apart from WoW is in the design of the world itself, and in its heart and soul.

WoW and LOTRO are the only two MMOs I've played for any length of time (I've dabbled in many), and even though they play similarly, I ended up playing them RADICALLY differently.

In WoW, I installed quest helper, could not get quest text off my screen fast enough, used sites like beimba to min/max my stats, etc.

In LOTRO I would log on and just... stroll around. Deliver pies in the Shire, farm, hang out in the Prancing Pony playing music... hunt down new decorations for my house. Tinker with the design of said house, etc etc etc. God help me, I even tried on clothes to see what looked the coolest (the only game I've ever done this).

WoW is a game where most everyone agrees "the game begins at level cap." In LOTRO, reaching the level cap truly is the game. Players that relax and don't try to do everything as efficiently as possible, and just kinda stroll through the zones/levels, will likely love their time with the game.

I can't really explain it, but even though the two are similar mechanically, LOTRO seems to be designed for this slower pace. I know I began playing the game differently without even realizing it at first.

Got the D2D deal as well, but will not be using the actual VIP account code (didn't realize I needed to create a new account when I already have an account with Moria on it). First person to reply to this post I'll PM the code to.

Beth Cyra

I signed up at the Lotro Site, didn't understand the click for 10 day free play but since that was the one with Lotro I selected it but never got a confirmation email so I take it we have to wait a good while?

forrest

formerly nacire
Anyone know if I can use my old account as a free account now? Do you have to enter a product key for free play?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
nacire said:
Anyone know if I can use my old account as a free account now? Do you have to enter a product key for free play?

Nope, just click through and it'll show your account as "Active". Use that and you're in.

Top Bottom