• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mandalorian & Grogu Leaked D23 Expo Footage

ManaByte

Gold Member
They've only been filming for a couple weeks.

Before Disney nukes it:

(I saved a copy will try to upload elsewhere if it dies)

BlackTron

j54T93p.jpeg

BlackTron

The sets built at the train yard look very Hoth-like.

I hope it's either a completely different planet or being on Hoth is somehow connected to what already transpired there (like the destroyed Rebel base having something important in it).

A random reason to return to Hoth would be pretty silly but I'm guessing it just looks exactly like it to evoke the feeling of watching SW. Like Jedha is Tatooine 2.0

Trilobit

I keep forgetting that Filoni is involved with this unfortunately. I hope this has Mando as the main character and not just a sidecharacter like recent seasons.

G4j5F46.png

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I keep forgetting that Filoni is involved with this unfortunately. I hope this has Mando as the main character and not just a sidecharacter like recent seasons.

G4j5F46.png

From what I can tell, he's the main character. Season 3 was mostly about Mandalorians as a whole and uniting Mandalore and the factions of Mandalorians. I liked the season but it should have been its own show and not The Mandalorian.

Edit: it ended with Mando and Grogu alone setting up new adventures with just them.

I'm looking forward to it tho!

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
It comes too late. I would have liked to see it after season 2 Mando, but now after season 3 and 2026 to boot. Season 3 has messed up too much. But the trailer didn't look too bad.

jason10mm

Gold Member
What is this even about? After THREE SEASONS of a TV show and some significant cameos in others I still can't really figure out what Mando and Grogru want or are looking for. So I expect it to be a virtually independent adventure but if they are STILL running across elements of the Empire...I dunno. Guess there are plenty of Westerns that feature remnants of the Confederacy or rogue US army units far out in the frontier going for gold or whatever to kinda support their story but I feel like Mando has already dealt with this stuff (the ep with the AT-ST comes to mind).

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
What is this even about? After THREE SEASONS of a TV show and some significant cameos in others I still can't really figure out what Mando and Grogru want or are looking for. So I expect it to be a virtually independent adventure but if they are STILL running across elements of the Empire...I dunno. Guess there are plenty of Westerns that feature remnants of the Confederacy or rogue US army units far out in the frontier going for gold or whatever to kinda support their story but I feel like Mando has already dealt with this stuff (the ep with the AT-ST comes to mind).

It's connective tissue to the sequel trilogy... The rise of the First Order.

It and the other post-ROTJ shows will culminate in the Thrawn movie.

It's connective tissue to the sequel trilogy... The rise of the First Order.

It and the other post-ROTJ shows will culminate in the Thrawn movie.
I think it's fair criticism though. This show is (and has been) about Mando and baby Yoda. That's why people tune in. It's cool to have the greater conflict of Star Wars as a backdrop, but the focus should be on those characters, and they've failed to do that in recent shows.

The closer they get to the sequel trilogy, the harder it will be to maintain interest, because no one cares about those movies. A large chunk of the audience doesn't care how the First Order started because they're a literal joke. More than ever, it's important that this show has a strong story for its main characters.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I think it's fair criticism though. This show is (and has been) about Mando and baby Yoda. That's why people tune in. It's cool to have the greater conflict of Star Wars as a backdrop, but the focus should be on those characters, and they've failed to do that in recent shows.

The closer they get to the sequel trilogy, the harder it will be to maintain interest, because no one cares about those movies. A large chunk of the audience doesn't care how the First Order started because they're a literal joke. More than ever, it's important that this show has a strong story for its main characters.

THIS movie will be about Mando and Grogu. Not the overarching story... Though they've been laying the groundwork since the first season. Remember Dr. Pershing?

Yeah they messed up in season 3 by focusing more on Mandalorians and Mandalore as a whole and bringing them together... But it ended up where it should have at S3E1 ... Just them chilling and looking for adventure/bounty jobs.

jason10mm

Gold Member

Thats my fear, that we will get a cold open with Mando/grogu in some adventure, YAY, then we have to sit through about 90 minutes of "Set-up" for whatever next thing they want to push, introduce a buncha strong female characters, yadda yadda, then Mando/grogu get to help said characters solve the said characters problems (but not really, they are more spectators than action initiators) and that's a wrap.

Where is all the Mandalore stuff gonna go? Where COULD it go, to justify all the time spent on it? Is Mandalore going to fight Thrawn and somehow exit stage left in time for Rey and the Resistance to do all the heavy lifting against the First Order? Are Ezra and Ahsoka just gonna ignore Luke and his new temple? They don't have ANY interest in maybe collaborating some more?

The 20 years or whatever between mando s1 and TFA is just too tight for the sort of galaxy spanning conflict we seem to be building towards to happen and then reset to zero, IMHO.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I thought BBY meant Before Battle of Yavin?
Oh yeah, I think you are correct.

That the entire dating system for Star Wars, both in canon and for fandom, revolves around ANH is pretty fitting.

Anyway, my point is for the callous, "They are no real threat" attitude towards the First Order to make sense within TFA, there really can't have been any significant threats since RotJ. But if Thrawn shows up, dredges up a bunch of Super Star Destroyers or whatever, blows up a couple planets, and in general becomes an ACTUAL THREAT, and then gets defeated by Mandaloreans or whomever in this film+TV series, then it just makes the ST even more irrelevant and pointless to even keep around, much less keep advancing it, because it's holding them back so much from a story perspective. Ugh, that ST just messed stuff up so much, really grinds my gears :p

Top Bottom