• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars star says he won't appear in The Mandalorian & Grogu because of The Book of Boba Fett, explaining the show's reception "impacted the future

Cyberpunkd

Do Star Wars fans do anything else other than shit on Star Wars?
I mean, have you seen what they've been coming up with since Disney acquired the IP?

From Yuuzhan Vong and Thrawn to the Acolyte, all because the Mouse wants complete control over the IP and "if it's not made here, it doesn't exist".

I enjoyed BOBF except for rhe part where they turned it into a different show for two epsidoes.

Id much rather he not be second fiddle to Mando and get another crack at his own thing. And have boss show up. Him just killing a bunch if dudes is entertaining af, as it was in the finale. Doesnt need to be super complex.

To be fair I actually really enjoyed BOBF. Other than those two bad episodes, I thought the rest of the episodes were fantastic especially the action sequences

I mean, have you seen what they've been coming up with since Disney acquired the IP?

From Yuuzhan Vong and Thrawn to the Acolyte, all because the Mouse wants complete control over the IP and "if it's not made here, it doesn't exist".

That bolded is something that really pisses me off about what Disney did to Star Wars. There was already a fanbase they could have aimed thier movies and shows at but instead they thought they could do better and drove away lot of the older fans away. I love The New Jedi Order and when Disney bought the IP they should have worked on adapting the Star Wars EU, there's so many great stories in there

Last edited:
Don't ask me for sources, but I believe a large part of his initial popularity was from promotional photos and appearances in the armor at live events before ESB was released theatrically. Like, a good sum of months before, it wasn't two week pre-launch hype pr tactics. Most authentic example of a character "making it," with the fans, damn the creator or his idea of the scope of said character be damned.
Might just be a case of you had to be there then. I wasn't even born yet. I felt the same way about Boba like I did Phasma. Well, Boba has cooler armor at least. Now, Jango, he held his own against Obi-wan and when he went out it was against Windu.

Cyberpunkd

That bolded is something that really pisses me off about what Disney did to Star Wars. There was already a fanbase they could have aimed thier movies and shows at but instead they thought they could do better and drove away lot of the older fans away. I love The New Jedi Order and when Disney bought the IP they should have worked on adapting the Star Wars EU, there's so many great stories in there
It’s not even that. I don’t particularly think SW fandom wants deep stories, but there is potential e.g. Thrawn view that Empire brought stability after the failings of the Republic could be interesting to explore. It’s just that instead of really mature themes you get LOL Lesbian Force witches chanting a song.
So if you cannot do mature themes just leave it alone and do glowing sticks with mind tricks.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I doubt they ever thought they would do better, or worse for that matter (they didn't think about it). They just overwrote EU to make continuity easier, far less to worry about.

BlackTron

It’s not even that. I don’t particularly think SW fandom wants deep stories, but there is potential e.g. Thrawn view that Empire brought stability after the failings of the Republic could be interesting to explore. It’s just that instead of really mature themes you get LOL Lesbian Force witches chanting a song.
So if you cannot do mature themes just leave it alone and do glowing sticks with mind tricks.

Lucas made what I thought was an insightful point when he said when he made SW they were trying to mimic themes, but Disney SW is just trying to mimic Star Wars. I don't think they could ever succeed from that perspective no matter how hard they try.

Mandalorian turned heads with themes again, suddenly real Star Wars was back. Then instead of going on doing that they shifted back to mimicking real Star Wars by putting Grogu back in after 5 minutes.

I understand where that sentiment comes from. I want Tony Gilroy to be head of Star Wars. Andor is an example of a Star Wars show actually having a mature tone. It deals with some interesting subject matter. Also that show I considered to be one of the best Star Wars I seen in a long time

I doubt they ever thought they would do better, or worse for that matter (they didn't think about it). They just overwrote EU to make continuity easier, far less to worry about.

Before Lucas sold his IP, the EU wasn't considered Canon but he would take stuff from the EU and successfully adapt it to fit into Canon. Disney can't even do that properly..

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
The character shouldn't be written off because some writer or producer did a crappy job of writing a spin-off script. They need to can the writers, not the actor.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dude is too fuggin old
I never watched the show, but when I read the lead guy was 60 years old, and clips show he can barely move, it was an odd casting. I dont think they ever said how old he is in the movies, but given his agility, I assumed he was someone in his 30-40s who's still spry and old enough to have experience being an intergalactic bounty hunter. So not a 25 year old noob or a 65 year old senior. Guess I was wrong and BF is basically retirement age. lol

Last edited:

BlackTron

I never watched the show, but when I read the lead guy was 60 years old, and clips show he can barely move, it was an odd casting. I dont think they ever said how old he is in the movies, but given his agility, I assumed he was someone in his 30-40s who's still spry and old enough to have experience being an intergalactic bounty hunter. So not a 25 year old noob or a 65 year old senior. Guess I was wrong and BF is basically retirement age. lol

Not sure if you understand why they did cast him, because Fett is a clone of a guy played by the same dude who was younger when Episode 2 came out, and consequently played every clone trooper (with his face at least). At this point, he is (almost certainly) the last surviving clone of Jango Fett.

Making Boba Fett a clone who took dad's armor was the first step in making him less individually cool and mysterious. Disney just administered the final blow. Despite the armor fitting poorly it didn't really matter when he got it back in Mandalorian, it was great. If I want a cool Boba Fett comeback I'll just watch Mando instead of Boba Fett (which you would watch for...the Mando comeback shoehorned in)

jason10mm

Gold Member
Not sure if you understand why they did cast him, because Fett is a clone of a guy played by the same dude who was younger when Episode 2 came out, and consequently played every clone trooper (with his face at least). At this point, he is (almost certainly) the last surviving clone of Jango Fett.

Making Boba Fett a clone who took dad's armor was the first step in making him less individually cool and mysterious. Disney just administered the final blow. Despite the armor fitting poorly it didn't really matter when he got it back in Mandalorian, it was great. If I want a cool Boba Fett comeback I'll just watch Mando instead of Boba Fett (which you would watch for...the Mando comeback shoehorned in)
I think a better story choice would have been a surviving clone recovers Fetts armor (with Fetts corpse inside) and goes on a voyage of self discovery about who he is as a clone, who Fett was as "clone prime", who Janjo was as their 'father' and struggles with imitating Fett and being his own 'man'. We the audience could even be misled that it WAS Fett who survived, but we get a reveal that it's actually another clone who first tried to pass himself off as Fett, but doesn't want to keep doing it. There is a lot to unpack about being 1 of THOUSANDS of literally identical beings, being raised with a brainwashed purpose, and how to have an identity apart from the strong societal pressures on you. Far better story than the heel turn Fett makes IMHO. The actor being so old now should have been more attributed to the clone process failing, something Boba shouldn't have had because he grew as a child, not force cloned into an adult. That would have added time pressure to make his mark before he died.

BlackTron

I think a better story choice would have been a surviving clone recovers Fetts armor (with Fetts corpse inside) and goes on a voyage of self discovery about who he is as a clone, who Fett was as "clone prime", who Janjo was as their 'father' and struggles with imitating Fett and being his own 'man'. We the audience could even be misled that it WAS Fett who survived, but we get a reveal that it's actually another clone who first tried to pass himself off as Fett, but doesn't want to keep doing it. There is a lot to unpack about being 1 of THOUSANDS of literally identical beings, being raised with a brainwashed purpose, and how to have an identity apart from the strong societal pressures on you. Far better story than the heel turn Fett makes IMHO. The actor being so old now should have been more attributed to the clone process failing, something Boba shouldn't have had because he grew as a child, not force cloned into an adult. That would have added time pressure to make his mark before he died.

I like the second half but the first half I can't see. The audience, thinking it's Fett, will be clamoring for more information about Fett, which we don't have because all is kept vague and mysterious. Then we find out there is no mystery about Fett, it just wasn't him. Just a different not great Boba Fett comeback story IMO

Being in bad shape due to being an aged and unusual clone is an interesting idea. But Boba always felt and acted like Jango was his father, not his donor, and doesn't have much to unpack over being a "clone" or brainwashed. If a Clone Trooper inside his armor were exploring this theme, it just wouldn't seem like a Boba Fett show from the beginning.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Thanks for the info above. Never followed the story of BF. Didnt know he was a clone. I just assumed the TV show is around the same time as the movies, so when I saw a 60 year guy who can barely move compared to the old movies it just seemed odd.

Ulysses 31

Wouldn't that go against what's established in Attack of the Clones? "They are totally obedient, taking any order without question. We modified their genetic structure to make them less independent than the original host."

jason10mm

Gold Member
Wouldn't that go against what's established in Attack of the Clones? "They are totally obedient, taking any order without question. We modified their genetic structure to make them less independent than the original host."
Bad Batch shows they were not all 100% lockstep. A few of the major ones (Commander Cody, etc) were even around for Rebels.

Thats the story. He's a clone that didn't die in the Clone Wars (and whatever purge the Empire did once Palps took over and transitioned to human soldiers) but struggles for identity. He focuses on Fett as the "prime" after years of searching and tries to live AS Boba, but just can't as he finds kindness, or at least some temperance and fairness, ending up willing to sacrifice himself to save others when NOT ordered to do it. Basically free will over rigorous indoctrination. Thats a theme I think we can all relate to and doesn't have to be so ideologically aligned and pandering like a lot of crap today. Boba Fett (and to some exent Jango) having an almost religous aura from at least some clones seems reasonable, they were intelligent and knew of their condition, a curiosity about the Fetts seems natural and it's only a small step further to idolizing them in some fashion.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Recast with Roman Reigns
Roman Reigns Sport GIF by WWE

Did anyone care about the 'original' casting and want the old and fat version back?

Guys guys, we can totally recast Harrison Ford with some random dude and make a whole Young Solo movie... but a guy who spends most of his time in a helmet and had like 10 lines, and wasn't actually the same character? Sorry that shit is too sacred.

BlackTron

Thanks for the info above. Never followed the story of BF. Didnt know he was a clone. I just assumed the TV show is around the same time as the movies, so when I saw a 60 year guy who can barely move compared to the old movies it just seemed odd.

Mandalorian started 5 years after RotJ which puts the BF show approximately 8-10 years after Boba fell into the Sarlacc Pit and "died" at the skiff battle in that movie. A great deal of his sad state in the show was attributed to surviving this ordeal (he even had scar makeup), but the weight? I dunno lol...

Edit: It just dawned on me that some of BoBF's events ran concurrent with Mandalorian. Other events took place after Mando ended. Doesn't change timing much but I know I'll get corrected in two seconds lol

Last edited:

tkscz

Recast with Roman Reigns
Roman Reigns Sport GIF by WWE

Did anyone care about the 'original' casting and want the old and fat version back?

Guys guys, we can totally recast Harrison Ford with some random dude and make a whole Young Solo movie... but a guy who spends most of his time in a helmet and had like 10 lines, and wasn't actually the same character? Sorry that shit is too sacred.
It was a reach to get old fans to watch. "Look look, we got your favorite actor back in his original role". Plus the guy wanted to come back but what do you do when you gave all of his characteristics to another character? Mando is just Boba Fett from the old Star Wars books, so then who do you make Boba Fett?

BlackTron

It was a reach to get old fans to watch. "Look look, we got your favorite actor back in his original role". Plus the guy wanted to come back but what do you do when you gave all of his characteristics to another character? Mando is just Boba Fett from the old Star Wars books, so then who do you make Boba Fett?

Mando isn't Fett though. Yeah maybe the helmet was 90% of what made the character popular, but he was still a character. I think Mando was a great story but it wasn't right for Fett. Which shows they aren't interchangeable. The thing is, new Fett isn't Fett either. But neither was Luke, or Obi-Wan even Leia. They brought the actors back just to mess them up.

Top Bottom